Rumor: Dumba: Several teams interested, part 2

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wild have lost no leverage because they still have Dumba under contract for three more seasons. Worst case scenario is we go into the expansion draft and lose a middle six player like Greenway or Donato. We can even offer Seattle a mid round pick to take the middle six player we don't want if it comes to it.

If teams want Dumba, they still have to pay the price. And if Dumba returns to his form from last season and the season prior, the price goes way up.

Reactions: MK9 and rynryn

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
imo the Wild messed up.

Once they signed Brodin long term it became almost a given that they were moving Dumba.

They lost leverage in this scenario.

I think they should have moved Dumba first then signed Brodin long term at least then they dont have to look so desperate in trying to move Dumba, which everyone now knows they are.
This is all wrong. The Wild lost leverage by signing a player long term?? Are you serious? If any move lost them leverage it was trading Staal.

Minnesota's forward group isn't that great. In fact, it's bad enough to warrant going 4+4 protection in the expansion draft.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think you are under selling players like Gaudette and Hoglander.

Gaudette is a young right handed centre who has the skills to be a 2c in this league.

And Hoglander is Canuck's 2nd best prospect. He was leading the WJC in scoring until he got suspended for the semis and bronze game.
Gaudette has big questions marks around his ability to fill that role in the NHL. If Minnesota's really interested in that sort of player I'd rather pursue a guy like McCann in Pittsburgh, who's unlikely to cost anything like Dumba.

I'm not up on Hoglander, but I see a LW prospect. Even if we assume his production is low because he's playing in a tough league selling LW prospects to the Wild is like selling snowcones in Antarctica.

These 3-4 piece package deals aren't likely to get much traction for Dumba. It's what everyone wants to think about because it's easy to stomach, but not realistic.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Gaudette has big questions marks around his ability to fill that role in the NHL. If Minnesota's really interesting in that sort of player I'd rather pursue a guy like McCann in Pittsburgh, who's unlikely to cost anything like Dumba.

I'm not up on Hoglander, but I see a LW prospect. Even if we assume his production is low because he's playing in a tough league selling LW prospects to the Wild is like selling snowcones in Antarctica.

One additional factor in a deal with Vancouver though is Brackett. No doubt Brackett is working with Guerin on any potential Vancouver deal, so if Brackett likes Gaudette, maybe?

But you're in the sense that it should take a lot more than Gaudette and Hoglander.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
if the Canucks do trade for Dumba, I can see them putting him the top unit PP. They have a good powerplay but they lack an elite slapper or one timer aside from EP40 on the right hash.

I can see them going 1-3-1

JT Miller down low, Dumba, Horvat and EP40. Then Hughes Powerplay QB.

This will leave Toffoli and Boeser on the 2nd unit PP assuming they sign TT and not trade Boeser.

Of course the other option is having Dumba QB the 2nd unit and have TT or Boeser join pp1.

It would be nice to have options and be unpredictable

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
One additional factor in a deal with Vancouver though is Brackett. No doubt Brackett is working with Guerin on any potential Vancouver deal, so if Brackett likes Gaudette, maybe?

But you're in the sense that it should take a lot more than Gaudette and Hoglander.
If Brackett really likes Gaudette he can invite him to his birthday party. I cannot see an argument for him being the main piece in a deal for Dumba.

Now, if it happens and this turns out like the Fiala deal? Happy to be wrong and prostrate myself before the experts. But man I do not see it.

Reactions: 57special

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wild have lost no leverage because they still have Dumba under contract for three more seasons. Worst case scenario is we go into the expansion draft and lose a middle six player like Greenway or Donato. We can even offer Seattle a mid round pick to take the middle six player we don't want if it comes to it.

If teams want Dumba, they still have to pay the price. And if Dumba returns to his form from last season and the season prior, the price goes way up.

If Greenway is now middle-6 that says a lot about why the team is stuck in neutral. His production is right now bottom 6.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
“Barrie is a better defenseman than Dumba.” “Justin Holl, top 4 defenseman.”

- Leaf fans, apparently.

I like how he had to come in to the brand new thread just to say Barrie is better and the Leafs don't need him, as if anyone was pushing Dumba to Leafs at the end of the last thread.

Reactions: snowkiddin

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Brackett really likes Gaudette he can invite him to his birthday party. I cannot see an argument for him being the main piece in a deal for Dumba.

Now, if it happens and this turns out like the Fiala deal? Happy to be wrong and prostrate myself before the experts. But man I do not see it.

That's my point. If Brackett sees it, it could end up happening. I tend to agree with you, and I like Gaudette more than many other Wild fans, but what we see doesn't matter. Brackett has the most hands on knowledge of Gaudette.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Greenway is now middle-6 that says a lot about why the team is stuck in neutral. His production is right now bottom 6.
He spent most of the year on Ek's line playing against other teams' best players and had very little powerplay time. For players with more than 100 5v5 minutes, Foligno was the only Wild forward with better xGF% than Greenway. His numbers aren't gaudy but he got them the hard way.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
“Barrie is a better defenseman than Dumba.” “Justin Holl, top 4 defenseman.”

- Leaf fans, apparently.
Barrie is a better point producing D man than Dumba, and by a lot. Any team needing a PP D man will try to sign Barrie (highly likely similar cap cost as Dumba’s six million) before trading for Dumba.
Lots of GMs, when hearing Dumba is available will call to see the cost. Considering Dumba is still a Wild, obviously they all hung up. IMO there isn’t a good argument to be made that supports Dumba should return a top six (young) forward, especially a centre. If Minny gets such a return, great fir them and their fans.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I can guarantee that former Canuck director of scouting and current wild director of scouting Judd Brackett LOVES Adam Gaudette. Bracket has a lot of ties and connection to his alumni Northeaster University. He has drafted and signed players from that program such as Adam Gaudette, Tyler Madden, Aidan Mcdonough.

I can definitely see Brackett pushing hard for Gaudette.

Wild fans might be underwhelmed at first but i can tell you that Gaudette is a gamer. Absoloutely dominated NCAA hockey in his hobey baker year. He has been stuck behind Pettersson and Horvat in Vancouver for offensive situations but given the opportunity this guy can light it up

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think Dumba is a very ncie player who is being offered in the worst possible year for him and Minnesota. When you look around the league there is a lot of solid Top 4's, limiting the available market. I would think Florida might be the best possibility but after trading Trocheck that limited a major option for a package that could have fit Minnesota's needs.

The question really is where is there a possible hole to fill? Arizona if OEL is traded? St. Louis if Pietrangelo signs elsewhere? Boston if Chara and Krug are gone? Is he a good fit for the Leafs? Not sure.

It might have been better to trade him last offseason, this one is kind of tough to get even value, so would Guerin go the futures route?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Barrie is a better point producing D man than Dumba, and by a lot. Any team needing a PP D man will try to sign Barrie (highly likely similar cap cost as Dumba’s six million) before trading for Dumba.
Lots of GMs, when hearing Dumba is available will call to see the cost. Considering Dumba is still a Wild, obviously they all hung up. IMO there isn’t a good argument to be made that supports Dumba should return a top six (young) forward, especially a centre. If Minny gets such a return, great fir them and their fans.

Honestly, you parading through these threads acting like the foremost expert on Dumba is getting pretty old considering it's clear you don't actually watch the player play.

But when you try to put forth statements like the bolded as fact, as if you're some kind of hockey insider, it just crosses into embarrassment.

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I can guarantee that former Canuck director of scouting and current wild director of scouting Judd Brackett LOVES Adam Gaudette. Bracket has a lot of ties and connection to his alumni Northeaster University. He has drafted and signed players from that program such as Adam Gaudette, Tyler Madden, Aidan Mcdonough.

I can definitely see Brackett pushing hard for Gaudette.

Wild fans might be underwhelmed at first but i can tell you that Gaudette is a gamer. Absoloutely dominated NCAA hockey in his hobey baker year. He has been stuck behind Pettersson and Horvat in Vancouver for offensive situations but given the opportunity this guy can light it up
Gaudette had almost 60% offensive zone starts. How did he lack for offensive opportunities?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
He spent most of the year on Ek's line playing against other teams' best players and had very little powerplay time. For players with more than 100 5v5 minutes, Foligno was the only Wild forward with better xGF% than Greenway. His numbers aren't gaudy but he got them the hard way.

That's fine but it's like talking about your 2nd line wing that puts up 15 goals, you aren't going to win a Cup with that. It's when he plays with that profile on Line 3/4 that the team takes a big step forward. Being stuck in the middle of the league for so many years pretty much highlights that. Not enough to compete for the Cup and too much to get a very high draft pick to get that high end talent the team needs.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad