Prospect Info: Dudek signs ATO with Binghamton Devils

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As per their twitter account.

This is very interesting... not necessarily because of the transaction itself, but because of the circumstances around it. Dudek is Oiler property until August 15th. I’d be floored if they signed him so they probably gave Binghamton the OK to do so... but to the best of my knowledge there’s nothing stopping an AHL team signing ANY unsigned prospect to an ATO, regardless of NHL rights ownership. Theoretically an AHL team could sign any 20+ year old unsigned player to an ATO and there’s not much the NHL team that held their rights could do about it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Interesting.

Considering Bako is playing Day at wing right now because of how short they are at forward, I'd say it's safe to assume the Oilers aren't really interested in signing Dudek.

Definitely not the end of the world though. Small guy who hasn't really produced offensively at any level.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Interesting.

Considering Bako is playing Day at wing right now because of how short they are at forward, I'd say it's safe to assume the Oilers aren't really interested in signing Dudek.

Definitely not the end of the world though. Small guy who hasn't really produced offensively at any level.
I dont blame them, he would be a waste of a roster spot. Probably be an ECHL/AHL tweener.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Interesting.

Nope. Another Chia swing and a miss but the ability of an AHL team to sign drafted prospects still the property of another NHL franchise to ATO’s is... very curious.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nope. Another Chia swing and a miss but the ability of an AHL team to sign drafted prospects still the property of another NHL franchise to ATO’s is... very curious.

I think the 3rd(and eventually Marody) wasn't a bad return for Maroon. Dudek was basically just a scratch ticket.

And, yeah, can't say I've seen that happen before. I'm guessing the Devils must have got the Oilers permission.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think the 3rd(and eventually Marody) wasn't a bad return for Maroon. Dudek was basically just a scratch ticket.

And, yeah, can't say I've seen that happen before. I'm guessing the Devils must have got the Oilers permission.

More than likely, but to the best of my knowledge there’s nothing stopping an AHL team from doing it. That’s what interests me the most.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I'm sure the Devil's are familiar with the player being a former pick of theirs of course. I agree with DNicks, I don't think the Oilers will sign him, he's hasn't progressed like they hoped he would this year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Is he still technically oilers property until the 15th then and kinda on "loan"? or have they relinquished their rights to him completely?

Not that it matters, 0% chance they sign him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Interesting, as @McCanovin said, we'd be better off signing Polei and Day to NHL deals and I'm not sure that Dudek would be able to play decently enough to play every day on our stacked AHL team anyway.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Is this the same Day who was hyped in the OHL as a 15/16 year old but faded away a bit? If so it'd be an interesting story if he was able to claw his way to the nhl with Edmonton and establish himself.
That day is drafted by the Rangers I believe

Reactions: yukoner88

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Interesting.

Considering Bako is playing Day at wing right now because of how short they are at forward, I'd say it's safe to assume the Oilers aren't really interested in signing

I kinda thought the Condors might sign him to a tryout deal for the rest of the year just because of this, they've been hurting for forwards. Although Jakob Stukel who they've got on a tryout from Wichita(ECHL) seems to be doing well so maybe they're happy having him instead.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'll always remember how Chia said "J.D. Dudek" super fast and smooth like it was a household name when he was presenting the trade to the media.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hello,
What does an amateur tryout contract mean? As far as I remember, Dudek was Devils draft pick in 2014, right?

It's a short-term contract an AHL team can give out. Up to 25 games, I believe. Usually they're used to let players finishing their season elsewhere(like Dudek at Boston College, as an example) to then play for the AHL team after.

Dudek was a Devils draft pick, but he was traded to the Oilers in the Maroon trade, so it was kind of strange that he would sign an ATO with the Devils instead.

Looks like Dudek hasn't got a contract for next season though, so he's a UFA now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He was just a throw in. The real prize was the 3rd we flipped for Marody.

Which I would say was a pretty good get for Maroon.

The Maroon acquisition/trade tree is probably the only genuinely good Chia move all the way through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad