Proposal: Ducks-Senators

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
very bad

Basically the same point totals between zib and kesler lol and were suppose to add onto zib with a 40 point play who is also young and cheap?

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Right now on the ducks trying to win a cup I'll take kesler hands down he has been ducks best player past two playoffs

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
...wha?

Zibby had 51 points last year, is a lot younger, cost controlled, and still improving. Why they flying hell would Ottawa add to that to get a broken down warhorse when we're nowhere close to contending?

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
No chance Ottawa targets Kesler. We don't have the assets to spend on a player in his situation (age, cost, etc.) We need to keep our cost controlled assets and if moving them, move them for other cost controlled pieces.

Kesler should be a piece you try to move to a non-budget team with some prospects/picks that they are willing to move.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
No chance Ottawa targets Kesler. We don't have the assets to spend on a player in his situation (age, cost, etc.) We need to keep our cost controlled assets and if moving them, move them for other cost controlled pieces.

Kesler should be a piece you try to move to a non-budget team with some prospects/picks that they are willing to move.

There would be no motivation from the Ducks side to be shopping Kesler right now, he's as important to our current success as anyone.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yeah, this is a very odd proposal. A win-now player going from a win-now* team to a team who's window isn't particularly close to opening, and in return a more future-y return (with respect to Zibanejad already contributing very fairly) going from a more future-y team to a win-now* team. Just a bad fit all around, with the vacuum value favouring the Ducks, as well.

(* The Ducks aren't just a win-now team, but one looking for sustained competetiveness, hence them always keeping 1st round picks and never going "all-in" by acquiring rentals, etc., but they are certainly focused enough on winning now to not get rid of key contributors like Kesler.)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I wouldn't trade Zibanejad straight up for Kesler considering the age difference, salary difference and the fact that Zibanejad is on the upswing while Kesler isn't getting better here.

Adding Pageau, who provides good secondary scoring, one of the very good PKers in the league and that makes only 900k just doesn't make any sense either for Ottawa.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Doesn't make sense for either team, but the Ottawa responses are pretty funny. Kesler is being severely underrated.

Ottawa fans aren't doubting his talent it's a matter of age, contract, and RFA eligibility. Doubt Scrooge McMelnyk is willing to pay Kesler 6.8mil if he cant fork out the money for Hoffman.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Doesn't make sense for either team, but the Ottawa responses are pretty funny. Kesler is being severely underrated.

It's probably because we're giving away a player that had basically the same point totals in the last 2 seasons as a 21 and 22 year old compared to a guy that was 30 and 31 years old.

We're also a budget team, so paying Kesler 3 times the salary that Zibanejad is making right now is just insane. Zibanejad is getting paid 2.65M this season, while Kesler is making 7.875M. Ottawa would be insanely stupid to do that while adding a Pageau who was leading scorer on the PK last season in the NHL, and managed to score 19 goals and 43 points.

I think Sens fans get that Kesler ultimately provides more value than Zibanejad on the ice right now, but the value also needs to consider the age difference, the salary difference and the fact that both these players are fairly close right now whether we like it or not.

Zibanejad just went PPG for the last 20 games of the season after Turris went down. He was our clear cut #1 centre for those 20 games and he answered extremely well. No reason for Ottawa to trade a cost controlled asset that keeps on getting better for a more complete, yet much older and expensive player.

Closer value would be Zibanejad straight up for Kesler, but with the salary difference and age difference, Ottawa wouldn't do it. Getting Kesler at that salary would mean getting rid of Hoffman or not being able to re-sign key pieces like Stone, Turris, Karlsson, Ceci, Hoffman in the next couple of years. I honestly think Anaheim would be crazy to not do a deal Zibby vs Kesler, being a budget team themselves.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
There is probably a deal to be made with Anaheim though. A defenceman for Hoffman would benefit both teams. Something like Stoner and Theodore for him could benefit both sides.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
There is probably a deal to be made with Anaheim though. A defenceman for Hoffman would benefit both teams. Something like Stoner and Theodore for him could benefit both sides.

Nope. Theo should be untouchable. Cheap, nhl quality defenders is huge for us when Fowler is going to get traded. Even if we're trading Stoner, I don't see a way we can afford Hoffman.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Theodore really isn't a piece we can afford to move, we should get two more full NHL seasons out of his ELC and that's just much too much value for a budget team to give up. If there's a deal around Hoffman and a Ducks dman it would have to be Fowler.

Ottawa fans aren't doubting his talent it's a matter of age, contract, and RFA eligibility. Doubt Scrooge McMelnyk is willing to pay Kesler 6.8mil if he cant fork out the money for Hoffman.

Most Sens fans in here have been perfectly reasonable, but I think he was referring to garbage like this:

Wouldn't take Kesler for free. Sens already have one overpaid former star in Ryan on the books.

Would be the deal of the century for the Ducks if Murray could pull this off.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think so too ,but iam of the thought it would be a three way deal as we dont have the space for the probable defender in question in Fowler.The other two i think most ANA fans nailed it when they said they need those younger cheaper options available

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Theodore really isn't a piece we can afford to move, we should get two more full NHL seasons out of his ELC and that's just much too much value for a budget team to give up. If there's a deal around Hoffman and a Ducks dman it would have to be Fowler.

Most Sens fans in here have been perfectly reasonable, but I think he was referring to garbage like this:
Fowler would be great and a better option than Theodore in all likelyhood but with the expansion draft it would require leaving either Fowler or Ceci unprotected.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Fowler would be great but with the expansion draft it would require leaving either Fowler or Ceci unprotected.
Think three way deal its the only way it would work ,we know ANA would like to add a pure scorer like Hoffman to their weak LW position ,and we want an up grade at center .Who needs a defender that has a center to spare??

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Wouldn't do it.
I wouldn't trade Pageau for Kesler straight up.
Yes, Kesler is the better player, but Pageau is younger and cheaper.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
For every bad proposal there's an even worse over reaction. Kesler isn't overpaid at all, he's a Selke candidate and easily worth his contract right now.

If he was a UFA on July 1st I would be furious if my team signed Kesler until he's 37 years old at a cap hit of 6.75M a season. He's worth the money right now, but won't be in a couple years. When he's over 35 that contract is going to be an albatross.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad