Proposal: Ducks - Rangers (Fowler/Trouba)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Neither team board seemed to completely hate this idea, so I thought I'd poll a wider audience.

Trouba (8M x 2)
for
Fowler (6.5M x 2)

Fowler - Fox
KAM - Schneider

Mintyukov - Gudas
Zellweger - Trouba

This would likely require the Rangers to have not won this season and be looking to shake up their core a bit. Anaheim ends up with the the most hated right side in NHL history.

A potential stumbling block would be no trade clauses on both sides.

Reactions: fm and Arthuros
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Neither team board seemed to completely hate this idea, so I thought I'd poll a wider audience.

Trouba (8M x 2)
for
Fowler (6.5M x 2)

Fowler - Fox
KAM - Schneider

Mintyukov - Gudas
Zellweger - Trouba

This would likely require the Rangers to have not won this season and be looking to shake up their core a bit. Anaheim ends up with the the most hated right side in NHL history.

A potential stumbling block would be no trade clauses on both sides.
Not sure why the Rangers do this.

Reactions: bleedblue94

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not sure why the Rangers do this.

I won't try to say I know more than a Rangers fan as to why they would or wouldn't. From my perspective, I see a lot of talk about Trouba needing to be moved or at least moved down your lineup. I don't see Fowler as being a downgrade all things considered, and he seems to bring more balance to your top 4 group, while also being a fair bit cheaper over the same two years of term remaining.

A top four of Fowler-Fox, KAM - Schneider seems more favorable than having a lesser LD with Fox and Trouba's 8M on the third pair, but of course that's just my outside opinion.

The Rangers could look to unload Trouba and then pursue the UFA market of course, but I'd argue that there's only better LD on the market (Hanifin). Otherwise I think a two year commitment on Fowler, could very well be seen as preferable to any options on the UFA market, especially if they are older or demanding long term.

Reactions: Synergy27

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rs move Trouba post season
1. for cap relief, recovering most of his 8-ish m per
2. to get ahead of the curve younger overall, even tho Troub is not yet older
3. to get better mobility; troub is elite on clear the crease/body checking

Fowler does none of that, so unless 3 way w/third team, not seeing it

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
For 1.5 difference, I'm not sure the organization wants to part with Trouba. He's big in the community. He's their captain. He's physical. I don't think there's a ton of savings here to make this move for them. I haven't really paid much attention to Fowler in a couple of years so I can't speak if his play has declined or if he'd be good on the first pair. My mind says DONE DEAL, but really it's a 1.5 difference and I'm not sure it would make that much of an actual difference. Playing the left side would be good though.

Reactions: kevistar
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I won't try to say I know more than a Rangers fan as to why they would or wouldn't. From my perspective, I see a lot of talk about Trouba needing to be moved or at least moved down your lineup. I don't see Fowler as being a downgrade all things considered, and he seems to bring more balance to your top 4 group, while also being a fair bit cheaper over the same two years of term remaining.

A top four of Fowler-Fox, KAM - Schneider seems more favorable than having a lesser LD with Fox and Trouba's 8M on the third pair, but of course that's just my outside opinion.

The Rangers could look to unload Trouba and then pursue the UFA market of course, but I'd argue that there's only better LD on the market (Hanifin). Otherwise I think a two year commitment on Fowler, could very well be seen as preferable to any options on the UFA market, especially if they are older or demanding long term.
1. Who's says that Fowler slots in next to Fox?
2. For a cap savings of 1.5, I see Fowler as an older downgrade (even if he is a LHD).
3. Why would the Rangers unload Trouba and then look to the UFA market?

Personally, I have no problem if they need to move Trouba to a pairing with Gustafsson/Jones.

Reactions: Ciao

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
In theory, done. In practice, I think Trouba means more to the Rangers than the contract, and I don't know if Fowler is a replacement or an improvement for the things Trouba does as net positives on the ice.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Trouba has a 15 team no-trade list starting this upcoming offseason. Seems like he wants to stay in NY and he could certainly gear is no trade list to accomodate that. The Ducks would probably be on it, as they can afford his salary. He can leave off teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Vegas, Tampa, etc. that would never be able to absorb his $8M cap hit...toss in the Devils, Islanders and Flyers who I doubt the Rangers would trade with and he's probably pretty well protected.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'm sure there are much more vocal supporters from the Ducks side that loathe Cashmere Cam and would do this in a heartbeat just because they don't like the guy, but on this rare occasion I think I would agree letting Cam go.

But yeah, I would have to imagine Trouba wouldn't be looking to leave a Cup contender willingly and will adjust his NTC to match.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Ya the Ducks do this.
Trouba is a much better fit for the Ducks current roster. The cap difference doesnt make a difference for the Ducks and having a physical RHD would be huge.

Zero chance Trouba waives his NTC to go to one of the worst teams in the league.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Ranger fans have been extremely bipolar on Trouba since he came here, swinging wildly from "Cut this clown!" to "Build him a statue!" depending on the week.

The reality is, his helmet toss last year is a great captain moment, the team has basically been awesome since then (and was dogshit before), he was mostly awesome for the first half this season, his physicality is sorely needed in the playoffs, and it would absolutely be a mistake to get rid of him to save 1.5M.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
always amused when posters (some of them loud online voices themselves) choose to assume that the loud voices online represent an overall fan base

anyway, this Ranger fan would decline this deal

Maybe Trouba is moved before his deal ends,
but please not just to bring in someone just as old,
but without what Trouba uniquely adds to the lineup

Trouba for Fowler wont improve NYR
no thanks

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Rangers fans wanting to move Trouba are a HF Boards phenomenon. Most Rangers fans outside of this insane little bubble have no desire to trade Trouba. Don't let this particular brand of social media influence you too much about the value of Rangers' players.

Reactions: cwede

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
For 1.5 difference, I'm not sure the organization wants to part with Trouba. He's big in the community. He's their captain. He's physical. I don't think there's a ton of savings here to make this move for them. I haven't really paid much attention to Fowler in a couple of years so I can't speak if his play has declined or if he'd be good on the first pair. My mind says DONE DEAL, but really it's a 1.5 difference and I'm not sure it would make that much of an actual difference. Playing the left side would be good though.
Fowler is kind of getting worn down on the Ducks. He's ideally a #2/3 but playing the minutes an elite #1 D should be playing. At his age and his ability, he shouldn't be playing what he is (hell, at his prime he shouldn't have been a #1). If he's played properly, he's still a solid PMD. Not really physical at all, but can skate and puts up decent points. He's probably worth his contract, not overpaid but not a bargain either. The issue isn't necessarily Fowler, but it's his deployment and that the Ducks have Mintyukov, Zellweger, LaCombe, and Vaakanainen on the left side and Gudas and Lindstrom (waiver wire pickup from Montreal) on the right side. Ducks need to balance the sides a bit more.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
1. Who's says that Fowler slots in next to Fox?
2. For a cap savings of 1.5, I see Fowler as an older downgrade (even if he is a LHD).
3. Why would the Rangers unload Trouba and then look to the UFA market?

Personally, I have no problem if they need to move Trouba to a pairing with Gustafsson/Jones.
A Trouba-Gus pairing would be an interesting mix and would let Schneider-Miller run for longer. And it wouldn't cost the Rangers anything while bringing different looks to the D.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Rangers fans wanting to move Trouba are a HF Boards phenomenon. Most Rangers fans outside of this insane little bubble have no desire to trade Trouba. Don't let this particular brand of social media influence you too much about the value of Rangers' players.
Don't recall Ranger fans saying either of these.
Obviously I was hyperbolizing on the statue, however I have seen takes like both of these on blueshirtbanter, here, twitter, etc.

There have definitely and specifically been people calling to waive/buy him out.

The reality is the Rangers are a very good team at not allowing goals, and he plays the most minutes on defense. If he were the dumpster fire people are pretending he is in the current fandom meta, the Rangers could not also be very good at preventing goals.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is the kind of move you make if this season ends up in flames.

Because this move is really trading Trouba for Fowler, and then trading either Lindgren or Miller because that's whose place Fowler would be taking.

That's a complete reconstruction of a defense. I'm not saying I'm against it, but we should wait until we see how this playoffs goes before we commit to it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is the kind of move you make if this season ends up in flames.

Because this move is really trading Trouba for Fowler, and then trading either Lindgren or Miller because that's whose place Fowler would be taking.

That's a complete reconstruction of a defense. I'm not saying I'm against it, but we should wait until we see how this playoffs goes before we commit to it.

It definitely doesn't happen if Trouba raises the Cup as captain this year, no doubt they just run it back for the most part at that point. So this would have to a hypothetical where the Rangers lose in the first couple rounds, want to keep their current window intact but shake up the core to some degree.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Ya the Ducks do this.
Trouba is a much better fit for the Ducks current roster. The cap difference doesnt make a difference for the Ducks and having a physical RHD would be huge.

Zero chance Trouba waives his NTC to go to one of the worst teams in the league.
The Ducks will be a top 10 team in 2-3 years, they have a lot of good young players (no I am not a Duck fan)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The Ducks will be a top 10 team in 2-3 years, they have a lot of good young players (no I am not a Duck fan)
I doubt it. People said the same thing about Ottawa, Buffalo, NJ, etc.

It's hard to be an actual contender for a prolonged period and not a flash in the pan. A lot has to go right for that to happen in the next 2-3 years. I think it is more likely they are fighting for a playoff spot in 2-3 years and they are contending in 4-5 years. But a lot still has to go right. They have zero top pairing defensemen and even though the future looks good on the back end with Minty, Zellweger, Luneau, whoever they take top 5 this year, they need 2 of those guys to become legit top pairing defensemen. Luckily the top 6 looks stacked with Leo, Zegras, McTavish, Terry, and Gauthier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad