Ducks next captain…

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Why not? Asking in all honesty, as I'm not watching a lot of Ducks games but ever since his Boston days he's a guy who's always looked like he was giving it his all. And now he also leads your team in points.
He would be fine but I dont think there is a good argument for him over Gudas or Killorn. They both have more experience in both the regular season and playoffs, are signed longer, and have a longer track record of success.

Reactions: luiginb

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Why not? Asking in all honesty, as I'm not watching a lot of Ducks games but ever since his Boston days he's a guy who's always looked like he was giving it his all. And now he also leads your team in points.
Too immature on the ice. He gets visibly frustrated way too much for him to be a captain. He takes so many unnecessary penalties that come from him just being dumb

Reactions: Daz28

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Think of how much more marvelous(ly infuriating to the old fist shakers) this photo would look with the captains 'C' on his chest

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
This was being discussed yesterday in the free agency thread, but I don't want to derail it with a post just about the captaincy... IMO giving the C to Stamkos would feel kind of gross, and the fact that we did it with Scott Niedermayer doesn't change that. Niedermayer was still a game breaker who came here to win with his brother, and was given the C by an organization making win-now moves. Stamkos is (apparently? I admittedly don't watch enough Lightning games to know if it's really as bad as it sounds) falling off and would be coming to play elder statesman for a team that's very unlikely to seriously contend during his contract, presumably because we threw more money at him than anyone else. Unless someone's got a plausible vision for Stamkos winning the Conn Smythe with the Ducks in 2026, they're just not comparable situations.

Verbeek categorically excluded the idea of a bridge captain after Getzlaf retired, then cheerfully put the team through two of the most miserable seasons in decades. (I know, we can debate how much of this season was design and how much was injuries, but the fact that he says he's happy with how things went this year says he at least wasn't real broken up about the disaster.) Maybe this is just silly sentimentality talking, but it feels like at this point the captain needs to be someone who's paid their dues to this particular tire fire. Give it to a younger player and let them grow into the role, give it to a vet who's at least been through one year of the mess, don't overpay a guy to be the bridge captain (which you previously said you didn't want) purely on the strength of his accomplishments with another team. If real leaders don't need letters, then neither does Stamkos if you bring him in for Veteran Presence. If leaders do need letters, the last two seasons were malpractice and the whole situation would somehow feel worse.

Honestly, I'd never have believed it last offseason but I'm getting onboard the Zegras train. I'd start him with an A next season and see how it goes. Cronin's already said outright that he's being treated differently because he has a responsibility as a de facto leader, so make it official.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
This was being discussed yesterday in the free agency thread, but I don't want to derail it with a post just about the captaincy... IMO giving the C to Stamkos would feel kind of gross, and the fact that we did it with Scott Niedermayer doesn't change that. Niedermayer was still a game breaker who came here to win with his brother, and was given the C by an organization making win-now moves. Stamkos is (apparently? I admittedly don't watch enough Lightning games to know if it's really as bad as it sounds) falling off and would be coming to play elder statesman for a team that's very unlikely to seriously contend during his contract, presumably because we threw more money at him than anyone else. Unless someone's got a plausible vision for Stamkos winning the Conn Smythe with the Ducks in 2026, they're just not comparable situations.

Verbeek categorically excluded the idea of a bridge captain after Getzlaf retired, then cheerfully put the team through two of the most miserable seasons in decades. (I know, we can debate how much of this season was design and how much was injuries, but the fact that he says he's happy with how things went this year says he at least wasn't real broken up about the disaster.) Maybe this is just silly sentimentality talking, but it feels like at this point the captain needs to be someone who's paid their dues to this particular tire fire. Give it to a younger player and let them grow into the role, give it to a vet who's at least been through one year of the mess, don't overpay a guy to be the bridge captain (which you previously said you didn't want) purely on the strength of his accomplishments with another team. If real leaders don't need letters, then neither does Stamkos if you bring him in for Veteran Presence. If leaders do need letters, the last two seasons were malpractice and the whole situation would somehow feel worse.

Honestly, I'd never have believed it last offseason but I'm getting onboard the Zegras train. I'd start him with an A next season and see how it goes. Cronin's already said outright that he's being treated differently because he has a responsibility as a de facto leader, so make it official.
Well said. I’m making you captain for Ducks HF. Your C is in the mail. :)

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
View attachment 861805

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but based on that I don't think Gudas has any interest in being captain. Not that there's much media pressure in Anaheim, but being the captain you gotta be prepared to answer questions after every single game.
Not wanting to deal with the toxic Toronto media doesn’t really disqualify someone from being a good captain IMO

Next season I’d give Gudas the C and the As to McTavish, Zegras, and one of the other young players and see who emerges as the next long time captain of the Ducks. Ideally I would want that next captain to be in the role as long as Getzlaf was

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
In The Beeker, Pat says that they plan to give the C (or decide) sooner than later. Kind of sounded like he's not planning to wait on Free Agency (and hell, signing Stamkos is faaaaaar from certainty).

So I'd guess it's Gudas

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Not wanting to deal with the toxic Toronto media doesn’t really disqualify someone from being a good captain IMO

Next season I’d give Gudas the C and the As to McTavish, Zegras, and one of the other young players and see who emerges as the next long time captain of the Ducks. Ideally I would want that next captain to be in the role as long as Getzlaf was

I'd vote for either Gudas or Killorn. I think the younger players should concentrate on continuing to develop their games and mature a bit. Putting the "C" on them now is added pressure they don't need and can be detrimental to their on-the-ice development. Why rush them?

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

I don't question Gudas leadership abilities. I'm just pointing out why he may not even want to be captain, which is the most important thing when selecting one.

The Anaheim media climates is of course a lot different of that in Toronto, but no matter where you are playing, being captain and having to speak for a team that's constantly losing year in and year out, can quickly become tiresome.

I have no idea wheater Gudas wants to be captain or not. I just remember reading that tweet before and was merely pointing out why he might not be interested. No matter what, Gudas is one of the leaders on and off the ice regardless if he wears a letter or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad