MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
:canes

Carter Rowney

:ducks

Ryan Dzingel

I've seen a lot of Hurricanes fans not even list Dzingel in their lineups, or have him as the 13F. With this trade, the Hurricanes get a cheaper 13F who has the flexibility of also playing Center. The Ducks get a more traditional top 9 winger to help insulate our prospects, and trade for a pick at the deadline.

Reactions: BHD

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Seems like a fair trade on the surface but Anaheim doesn’t have room on their cap and the Ducks still need to sign a backup goaltender.

Rowney’s hit is a little over 1.1mil and Dzingel’s hit is 3.375mil so Carolina would have to retain some of Dzingel’s salary in order for the cap to work for Anaheim.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Seems like a fair trade on the surface but Anaheim doesn’t have room on their cap and the Ducks still need to sign a backup goaltender.

Rowney’s hit is a little over 1.1mil and Dzingel’s hit is 3.375mil so Carolina would have to retain some of Dzingel’s salary in order for the cap to work for Anaheim.
We're fine once Kesler goes on LTIR.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Its a reasonable offer. I would ask if Ducks fans would you rather sign Haula for 2m or less over Dzingel?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Meh, Canes don't NEED the cheaper player and I'd rather have 30-40 pt Dzingel as the 13F than Rowney. No incentive for Cane's to downgrade a middle-six guy for 4th liner unless they really just want to save money...in which case it's fine (assuming we have another move in the works for a F upgrade)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Meh there are better forwards available in free agency that won't cost much. Given the $2M contract discrepancy between Rowney and Dzingel I wouldn't do this.

Reactions: Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Meh there are better forwards available in free agency that won't cost much. Given the $2M contract discrepancy between Rowney and Dzingel I wouldn't do this.

I think if the Ducks are going to make this type of deal, they should be looking towards teams offering incentive to clear salary, and I doubt Carolina is one of those teams.

I don’t really know anything about Rowney as a player but as a cap savings move for the Canes I suppose this works

He's a useful 4th liner, the type that can actually take on tough defensive minutes without sheltering. Has good size and plays heavy and somewhat physical but not overly mean. Versatile enough to play some center if needed.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think if the Ducks are going to make this type of deal, they should be looking towards teams offering incentive to clear salary, and I doubt Carolina is one of those teams.

He's a useful 4th liner, the type that can actually take on tough defensive minutes without sheltering. Has good size and plays heavy and somewhat physical but not overly mean. Versatile enough to play some center if needed.

Cool. He’s probably not particularly a need for Carolina but as 4th liner/13th forward he would be cheaper and a better fit than Dzingel.

Like I said, as a straight salary clear I could see the Canes doing it but unless the Ducks think Dzingel will be a contributing offensive middle 6er then it probably doesn’t make a ton of sense. But value wise it seems ok

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I wouldn't do it if I'm Anaheim, not due to value, but because I really liked the Deslauriers/Grant/Rowney 4th line last year and hope to see it again (with Backes rotating in I guess if he must).

Far as wingers, with Silf/Rakell/Heinen locks in the Top9, that leaves 3 spots for: Comtois, Jones, Terry, Milano to fight over. Rather hold on to the extra $/cap space.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not a bad deal proposal but it doesn't really make sense for Anaheim.

* additional salary is not really something the Ducks can throw around. We are even struggling to re-sign Miller now.
* Dzingel doesn't do much for us. We already have too much of middle sixers needing to prove themselves.
* Rowney is playing great for us the whole time.

Reactions: Paul4587

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad