GDT: Ducks @ GoodDevils, 7:00, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Severson was responsible for goal #2
Severson was responsible for farting around with the puck behind the net that led to that in front play
Severson (and Graves) completely forgot about Henrique on that breakaway

The dude has had his head up his ass to start the season
I suspect his lame duck status is wearing on him.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Severson was responsible for goal #2
Severson was responsible for farting around with the puck behind the net that led to that in front play
Severson (and Graves) completely forgot about Henrique on that breakaway

The dude has had his head up his ass to start the season

Severson's play on goal #2 is pretty inexcusable. I don't know what he was doing or why.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
All the issues this team has and someone thinks the biggest one is Jesper Bratt? 🫣

Where did I say Bratt was the biggest issue? All I said was I don't think the Devils should be the team paying his salary next year.

Club's biggest problem is far bigger than one player, goalies, or even the GM.

Leadership group is more concerned with marketing a flawed product and a steady revenue stream rather than providing the resources to pursue championships.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Also Marino has been an absolutely great find. His rush defense fits this team extremely well.

My one grip is he definitely seems to struggle quite a bit when it comes to defending down low or in the corners though. If he can figure that out, he’s a really strong mobile defensive defender.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Also Marino has been an absolutely great find. His rush defense fits this team extremely well.

My one grip is he definitely seems to struggle quite a bit when it comes to defending down low or in the corners though. If he can figure that out, he’s a really strong mobile defensive defender.
I think he handled down low fine last night.

Reactions: Devs3cups

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I’m very comfortable with Dougie and Marino shouldering the load until Nemec can prove he’s deserving of top minutes.

Reactions: Guadana

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Well, to be fair Pavel Zacha led the team in goals and points a few years ago and people were still pooping on him. :DD

Anyway, anyone who is complaining about Bratt is defective so there is no need to even respond to them.

Ohh God, that’s right. WOOF

Reactions: Bleedred

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I’m very comfortable with Dougie and Marino shouldering the load until Nemec can prove he’s deserving of top minutes.
Marino looked pretty good on the left side while Smith was out. I wonder if that’s something the Devils look into.
This was the knock on him from Pens fans.
I can see it. It hasn’t been a big concern yet but I could see the signs.

But it also fits the Devils style of play better. This forward group benefits from ending plays quick and transitioning. Penguins play more structured organized hockey.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Well, to be fair Pavel Zacha led the team in goals and points a few years ago and people were still pooping on him. :DD

Anyway, anyone who is complaining about Bratt is defective so there is no need to even respond to them.
certain people are not even worth to read.

after the first two games i had to better my hfb experience by turning off some of them. consider yourself lucky, if i no longer waste your time with my responses.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Definitely agreed, it's weird how he made some of those saves tonight but then gave up the goals he did.

Where Blackwood is struggling is the positioning/timing on long distance shots:

Flyers Goal 1 - Did not track puck well from outside the circle, leading to bad rebound. After looking at the replay, Severson and the Flyers forward does provide a partial screen which probably contributed to the bad read.

Flyers Goal 2 - Horrible positioning. He was way too out of his crease which allowed the far side to be freed up. Honestly after looking at Goal 1 and Goal 2 - I think Goal 2 was worst. In real time, I thought Goal 1 was worst.

Flyers Goal 3 - Defensive breakdown. Hard to really blame him on this goal, although he could have save it if he guessed right.

Flyers Goal 4 - He was screened in front, but he let up the five hole. I don't think it's deflected. This is another issue where he was not in good position with a screen in front.

Anaheim Goal 1 - Four bodies at the faceoff circle blocking the path of the shooter and the puck squeezes tightly in between two players. Mac does not square up to the shot nor tracks the puck well.

Anaheim Goal 2 - I don't really blame him for this goal. It would have been a very good save if he made it.

So Flyers Goal 1/2/4 and Anaheim Goal 1 were all related to positioning or not seeing the puck well. Hopefully this is something he can improve on over the course of the season.

I think his athleticism seems back to what it was pre-injury and we're seeing some of his better work when the puck is closer to the net. For example, the save in the 2nd period against Anaheim.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Anaheim Goal 1 - Four bodies at the faceoff circle blocking the path of the shooter and the puck squeezes tightly in between two players. Mac does not square up to the shot nor tracks the puck well.

Looking back at the replay it looks like he just didn't see the puck at all and reacted to the stick and/or sound and tried to do something. I really don't know how square up to the shot if you don't see anything, he has to be ready to move if there's a cross ice pass to the RD. I think if he had a better track record we wouldn't even be over analysing these goals this much.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Our defensive play has definitely improved with him gone. Glad he's working out.

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
Let another team make that mistake.

A big period against a cellar dwelling team playing its third game in four nights doesn't erase five years of careless play and losing.
he had a strong game, can't deny that. He did what he was suppose to do. you're suppose to beat a bad team playing 3in4 and b2b on the road. Took them a period to get started but they did what they were suppose to do and Bratt played well.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The idea that Bratt is compiling points in garbage time is absolute nonsense. Last year he had 32 points in 27 games where the Devils won and 32 points in 41 games where the Devils lost. He also had 9 points in 8 OTLs, so clearly him getting a point was essential to those games getting to OT.

So when the Devils win, it's because of Bratt being amazing. When the Devils lose, it's because Bratt was "just" pretty good. Sounds like it's the Devils that are the problem and not Bratt? Like, maybe the other 17 guys should get off their asses and do something?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Where did I say Bratt was the biggest issue? All I said was I don't think the Devils should be the team paying his salary next year.

Club's biggest problem is far bigger than one player, goalies, or even the GM.

Leadership group is more concerned with marketing a flawed product and a steady revenue stream rather than providing the resources to pursue championships.
Jesus H Christ, you do realize dynamic forwards do not grow on trees, right? Who are you going to replace him with?

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
The good news from last night was 4 goals scored off of zone time. Not one rush goal in the bunch there, and that's something the Devils struggled with last year. The bad news is that the breakdowns are still coming off stuff the Devils are consciously doing, as opposed to things they're not doing, and that is very bad.
defensively their decision making is awful. I'm not a fan of Dano but last night for the first time i heard him be critical of players esp the D. He finally got fed up with the reverse behind the net and sad, just get the puck out. D men still struggle with making the first pass and no team will be successful without that. Forwards still blow the D zone too early. Hughes is a stud but still plays a bit like he's in Plymouth.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Jesus H Christ, you do realize dynamic forwards do not grow on trees, right? Who are you going to replace him with?
Certainly not any more of those dipsy-doodle soft pansies that "produce offense" and all that other p***y shit. We should use that money to sign a REAL man like Nate Bastian. 7 years x 7.5M is a small price to pay for a big slab of beef.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bratt is awesome. He is constantly making stuff happen when he's on the ice...

I'm really not sure how anyone can really have a problem with him?

Perhaps he draws the ire of people because he's a small perimeter player? We definitely have too many of those but Bratt shouldn't be the target for that problem...there are plenty of others. Bratt is approaching being elite another season like last year and that would solidify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad