GDT: Ducks @ Flames - 7:30 MT SNW - Blast from the Past! Legendary lineup

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Ranger fan here.

Big thanks to you guys for beating the Ducks. Thanks to you we are now tops in the NHL.

Good luck the rest of the way, and I hope to see you again in June perhaps? :naughty:

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
What do you guys think about Bob Hartley and his system ? Complaints ?

I've been meaning to post about this for some time, I'm kind of torn about the system and it's really the only thing I'm not 100% on loving about Hartley.

It seems to be built on minimizing big mistakes, rather than trying to actively create offense, so our scoring is largely determined by the other team's play. We can get away with this because of our team speed, so we don't need a huge mistake from the other team to end up with a bunch of space to make a play.

When we're in the defensive zone, it seems our only real play is to have our D fire the puck at our wingers at the boards and hope they can chip it out. We almost never exit our zone with control of the puck unless the puck is dumped in and our D get the puck settled without too much pressure on them.

Also, our breakouts tend to involve all 3 forwards close to the enemy blue line, and our D fire a long pass for them to tip in. A lot of other teams will have the center back supporting the D close to their own blue line, which opens up a lot more controlled passing options. The short passes tend to result in more controlled breakouts, but bad passes in this situation tend to lead to odd-man rushes and dangerous scoring chances. Our approach is a lot safer, since the worst thing that tends to happen is an icing, but it also doesn't create as much offensively.

I think this might be the biggest thing that separates us from the true cup contenders. I don't think we'll be able to generate a lot of scoring against a top-tier team that's firing on all cylinders and isn't making the type of mistakes we tend to capitalize on. In contrast, teams like LA and Chicago that have a ton of possession are still able to create scoring chances even against quality defensive play.

I think this general philosophy has been a great thing for us this year, since it makes our offense less dependent on getting sustained zone time and more about capitalizing on mistakes which lets us win games where we get outplayed. However, as Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, and our other young guys continue to develop and mature, and guys like Poirier and Bennett make the team, making us more skilled, I'd like to see us move more towards a more possession-oriented style.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Flames are wearing retro gear at practice today :)!

Jonas even has some killer pads/helmet.

EDIT:

B_6VxCnU0AA273o.jpg:medium

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Probably safe to say Hiller starts tomorrow and Ramo on Saturday. I like it, because Ramo is better on the road.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
What do you guys think about Bob Hartley and his system ? Complaints ?

My only complaint is that in the balancing act of trying to win now but also develop key prospects for the future, Hartley skews a little too much to the former.

Granted, the fact that he's getting a team like this to win as much as they do, it is pretty remarkable. But scratching key prospects like Poirier (and previously Baertschi) multiple games in a row or only playing them minimal minutes when they are playing well is more than a little suspect on a rebuilding team.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My only complaint is that in the balancing act of trying to win now but also develop key prospects for the future, Hartley skews a little too much to the former.

Granted, the fact that he's getting a team like this to win as much as they do, it is pretty remarkable. But scratching key prospects like Poirier (and previously Baertschi) multiple games in a row or only playing them minimal minutes when they are playing well is more than a little suspect on a rebuilding team.

I can agree with this. For example, when Baertschi had that fantastic game with 2 assists I think, Hartley could have probably given Sven a little more ice time to see if he can do more damage on the ice.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I hope we get to see Poirier in tomorrow or Saturday. I think a player like Raymond or Jooris could use a rest.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I hope we get to see Poirier in tomorrow or Saturday. I think a player like Raymond or Jooris could use a rest.

I would definitely bench Raymond before Jooris. Jooris has been bringing it lately, even if it isn't showing up on the stats. Raymond has just been floating by.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would definitely bench Raymond before Jooris. Jooris has been bringing it lately, even if it isn't showing up on the stats. Raymond has just been floating by.

Don't know why I said Jooris :laugh:. Maybe I was thinking Jones.

Raymond does need to sit a game.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
With the longer days, warmer weather and the result of this game I'm starting to get that fuzzy playoff feeling............

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Only complaint I have is that his system doesn't look good on the advanced statistics sheet and we have to hear all these stat watchers about how bad and lucky the Flames are.

That's not entirely Hartley's system at fault, it's the fact that Smid and Engelland have no mobility, while Russell and Wideman don't muscle anyone off the puck. And Diaz... I don't think he could muscle someone off the puck if you sent him to Kingston to play with Sam Bennett.

Wait until we see Hartley's system being run by guys like Hickey/Rafikov/Wotherspoon who have both strength and mobility. It'll be just like the Gio/Brodie pairing. Not that we're in any rush at all to get rid of Russell/Wideman; I'm just sayin'.

There's a possibility he's sitting so he can play in the playoffs and still have his ELC slide. He's our secret weapon, and we're not gonna risk paying him to do it.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Aw yeeeeah.. love sitting on all that vcash lol thanks Anaheim :yo:

I'm so going to go vhard on Toronto, though the odds will likely not pay that great for a Flames win. I'm thinking 2000 would win 3000 back.

The ascension to vwealth continues.. daddy needs a new pair of vshoes!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00