Proposal: Ducks - Blue Jackets

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Laine

for

2021 1st round pick
Lundestrom
Silfverberg

I think some Ducks' fans will think this a big overpay given the pick, and I figure some Jackets may still decline, but here is how I see it:

Ducks clear up some logjam, and gain a bonefide young scorer we know they have at least had interest in previously. I don't see an issue in re-signing Laine in Anaheim. They also lose the Silf contract he isn't earning right now.

BJs acquire two players you know Torts would like and I think will fit their system well.

Silf is having a horrible season, but I personally feel it is due to motivation - he is a silent yet extremely competitive type, and he always steps it up end of season and in playoffs.

Lundy has a strong two-way game and untapped offensive potential.

The pick has a good chance to be Top 5.

Anaheim can then roll three nice scoring lines:

Zegras - Henrique - Terry
Jones - Getzlaf/Steel - Laine
Comtois - Getzlaf/Steel - Rakell

Have at it!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk that either team will particularly like it....

prob not enough flash for columbus... tho I think Lundy and silf both fit what that team has going on better, plus that pick likely ends up top 5.

I don’t think it’s awful from Anaheim perspective but that top 5 pick is tough to give up.... laine might be better than majority of players in top 5. If I’m moving that pick I prefer to target a center over a winger

Reactions: robbieboy3686

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
That's alot to give up. I still want Laine to succeed on Columbus, but damn that is a ton of assets.

Imagine Ducks fans wouldn't be too quick to say yes either...

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Man Henrique went from being on waivers to being on the top line. Getting put on waivers must have lit a fire under him. As for the proposal seems high price to pay as a devils fan I wouldn’t trade our first plus roster players for laine and our pick is going to be just as high

Reactions: Getz2noone

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
No way I'd do it as a ducks fan right now. Lundy is still really young and looking better and better. He has that very low center of gravity and strong base that he is learning how to use for his advantage.

It really comes down to where that pick ends up. Top 3 and I say no way. 6th and I'd probably do it.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Idk that either team will particularly like it....

prob not enough flash for columbus... tho I think Lundy and silf both fit what that team has going on better, plus that pick likely ends up top 5.

I don’t think it’s awful from Anaheim perspective but that top 5 pick is tough to give up.... laine might be better than majority of players in top 5. If I’m moving that pick I prefer to target a center over a winger

I agree with this. The other issue is Laine's contract status and demands. Laine's qualifying offer is really high and I don't think you want to make a long term commitment at a big AAV just yet. Hard to make this trade if you're only getting 2 years of a highly compensated somewhat flawed superstar.

a Laine trade to the Ducks starts with Zegras

forget it otherwise

Not going to happen. I doubt any team is going to give up that level of prospect for Laine given his baggage and current contract. I'd love to see Laine on the ducks - because they badly need the one (and arguably only) thing he's really good at. But I'm fine waiting for him to become a UFA or for the price to drop when that is imminent - all of which is more in line with the ducks window to compete. Ducks will be one of the few teams with cap space the next few years and they should be able to sign a high caliber UFA at the appropriate time or make shrewd trades with capped teams (hello TB).

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'd love to add Laine to the Ducks, but he's not going to be worth the price to acquire. Columbus just traded their 1C for him so they won't let him go "cheap" and the Ducks don't have a 1C that that can carry a top line for Laine. If Laine was a Patrick Kane/Ovi type line driver, it would make sense to acquire him but he's a (very good) complimentary top line winger. I'm not sure he's the one to build around being the guy on a team and that's what he would currently be in Anaheim. Lundestrom is showing signs of breaking out and that pick is currently sitting at second overall. Laine is definitely a need (goal scorer), but there are several holes to fill before making the big move (paying full price) for a guy like Laine, especially if we don't know what his contract demands are and if he wants to play here.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
The Ducks are still a (minimum) year or (more likely) 2-3 years from realistically competing again (might make the playoffs in 1-2 but probably right back out). Getting Laine right now really does nothing to help the rebuild/whatever it is the Ducks are doing. He either stays unmotivated for a couple of years & then walks when the contract is up ... or ... gets motivated (making the team marginally better & pushing them down the draft charts) and wants a really big/long payday right at the time the Ducks are ready to go & with a bunch of the young, now stars, coming off their ELCs and wanting their own paydays.

In a vacuum, the value seems reasonable. But the timing isn't right

Then there's the whole optics of Columbus essentially saying "Ya know, we gave up a great player for this guy that we traded off a couple of months later...". Would they have been interested in the above Ducks players for PLD? Probably not but that's essentially what they would be saying.

Reactions: lwvs84

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

forget it otherwise
I’m going with the assumption the 2021 Ducks pick lands in the top 7, which means you’d be crazy not to take this deal. A high round one pick and two valuable roster players for Laine. You ain’t seeing a better deal elsewhere bro.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Laine is great but he wouldn't be the difference maker on a very poor ducks team next year. Laine would help but we would still be out of the play offs (imo). Personally I would wait a year or two before adding players of that caliber to the roster.

I will say the value is pretty close though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

forget it otherwise
Maybe if laine was a center I’d agree, but he’s not so I keep zegras, I think value is fine .... but like I said columbus fans prob want more flash like a drysdale or zegras. Which is an easy no for Anaheim

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Then there's the whole optics of Columbus essentially saying "Ya know, we gave up a great player for this guy that we traded off a couple of months later...". Would they have been interested in the above Ducks players for PLD? Probably not but that's essentially what they would be saying.

I was thinking about this part of it, and I agree that package wouldn't have gotten PLD as they were seeking a star in return. But, I think it can be viewed here as they didn't know how Laine would work out, they have tried (small sample size, granted) and it isn't the best fit. Not to mention, they also got Roslovich who isn't doing too shabby for them.

So, at end of the day, the optics would be more like:

Roslovich
Lundestrom
Silf
likely Top5 pick

for

PLD
3rd round pick

which doesn't look bad at all.

Reactions: Rec T

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I'm torn. The Ducks come out ahead in this trade, but I really really have no interest in paying Laine 8+ when the Ducks still need a #1 center.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I’ll take my chances on the top 5 pick being a player who can work well with Zegras and Drysdale.

I do like dumping Silfverberg though.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
The 2021 NHL draft isn't supposed to be as deep, wouldn't be a bad year to give up a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad