Ducks Best Ever Free Agent Signing

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Always knew he took a discount but didn't realize how much of one...

He was a stud and probably best d man I'll ever see in Anaheim

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Also weird to see a stud like him being offered 4 and 5 year deals. Pronger also got a 5 year deal. A lot has changes with the cap for sure.

Also of note is that the cap-max deal went away very quickly. 20% of the cap would be 14+ Mill this season so top end talent signing today make comparatively a lot less than Brad Richards did when the cap first came about.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Obviously Niedermayer. \he probably deserved the norris back-to-back years

05-06 he was unreal and should have won over Lidstrom. That was better than his Norris year IMO. I think Pronger would have won in 06-07 if he didn't miss 15 games. Those were the two best seasons I'll probably ever see from two different Ducks defenseman.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
The real question is who's #2? A college free agent like Andy McDonald? Sykora? Koivu? Hiller? Literally every impactful player I can think of was either drafted (amateur or expansion (ie Hebert)) or traded for.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Kunitz and Penner are in there, kunitz pretty high for me.

Adam Oates in '02 worked out ok.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
I'd have plenty of people ahead of Fedorov. Sykora, Oates (neither were here long but they had a fairly big part of the 03 run), Kunitz, Penner, etc.

EDIT: Nevermind regarding Petr Sykora, forgot he was a trade. **** Jeff Friesen.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Fedorov had the potential to be the outright best. He just didn't seem to give a **** after Detroit.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Best UFA signings
Scott Niedermayer
Teemu Selanne
Adam Oates (helped us make the playoffs and part of our magical 2003 playoff run)

Best trades
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Teemu Selanne
Chris Pronger

Best players drafted
Paul Karyia
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry

Best signings of undrafted players to start NHL career with Ducks
Andy McDonald
Chris Kunitz
Dustin Penner (Jonas Hiller you could say but Penner helped us win the Cup so I pick him)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Best UFA signings
Scott Niedermayer
Teemu Selanne
Adam Oates (helped us make the playoffs and part of our magical 2003 playoff run)

Best trades
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Teemu Selanne
Chris Pronger

Best players drafted
Paul Karyia
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry

Andy McDonald
Chris Kunitz
Dustin Penner (Jonas Hiller you could say but Penner helped us win the Cup so I pick him)

It's kind of funny to see Selänne in two categories. If you added "worst trades" category, he could be there too!

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Best UFA signings
Scott Niedermayer
Teemu Selanne

Best trades
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Teemu Selanne
Chris Pronger

Best players drafted
Paul Karyia
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry

Andy McDonald
Chris Kunitz

I agree with this.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Selanne scoring 40 goals and 90 points for 1 millions takes the cake, even better than Nieds IMO.

That was one season and Teemu was always kind of like ''ours'' even though we traded him away. That signing was great, no doubt, but Teemu came here in a trade. Period. That signing was only like a comeback.

Nieds coming here had a huge impact longterm and i agree he is the best FA we ever signed

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Selanne scoring 40 goals and 90 points for 1 millions takes the cake, even better than Nieds IMO.

Nieds completely changed the culture and identity of this team and added something we had never come close to having before (a number one defenseman).

Teemu is number 2 easily. The best question is who is number three?

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
We haven'h had all that many great FA signings. Lydman was a good one, even with the health issues.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Third... while not a free agent signing, Pronger wanting out of Edmonton was "almost" like one in that the Oilers were not looking to get rid of him. Still amazed that they didn't force him to the EC.

John

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Nieds completely changed the culture and identity of this team and added something we had never come close to having before (a number one defenseman).

Teemu is number 2 easily. The best question is who is number three?

You have a very good point but my paoint is that for a bargain price we got a 50g/50a player: dollar for dollar one of the best signings EVER by ANY team. That's tough to beat, even if Nieds signing impacted the Ducks in a huge way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad