Proposal: Duchene for Trouba, Little for younger RHD

MyNHLPearlsOfWisdom*

Jun 14, 2017
Wht would they? They get a better centre and some young players

It's the same moves the jets make when the jets trade
They get a player plus prospects and picks

In this case instead of picks we give you some young and ready nhlers and a prospect who's looking close to being nhl ready

Dano looks like a bottom six that needs to act like one , Poolman is. B prospect at best .This is not even close.You are going to have to give up something that you don't want to to get Duchene. Something like this https://youtu.be/RlXq2xeYwk4

MyNHLPearlsOfWisdom*

Jun 14, 2017
I actually don't think Duchene will be going anywhere anyways [mod] but if he were it would take way more then Petan and a couple b prospects .

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Dano looks like a bottom six that needs to act like one , Poolman is. B prospect at best .This is not even close.You are going to have to give up something that you don't want to to get Duchene. Something like this https://youtu.be/RlXq2xeYwk4

I wish you guys the best in moving Dutch but I am not sure what the plan is with Joe? There are teams that need a scoring centre yet he hasn't been able to get a deal done yet and its not as if he is in a win now mode? To me at least it became clear Dutch was on his way out of town last year but there we sit with no solution? This post is not meant to troll its meant to question the plan. I am not a fan of trade proposals because they follow the same mind numbing pattern every time but that being said I am interested to see the closing chapter of the Duchene sage.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not putting Zadorov in the conversation because he adds value I have him in the trade to add depth and play on the 3rd Pairing short term wise, also I did add another 1st Round from Colorado as it would likely be Top 5 in a great Draft.

And you gave up our first. Keep our first. Drop Zadorov from the proposal. We don't need Zadorov.

I'm still saying you are undervaluing Trouba.

You want Colorado's probably high 1st. Trouba is worth that + Duchene, at least.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We will have more than one shot at it even if we keep Trouba. I'd like to improve my odds for the first one in the immediate term - this team has a good roster, and should be able to make some noise. We have no idea where these "additional 1st rounders" will end up taking the team in the future.

It's not just about collecting assets - it's about determining when it's appropriate to take the plunge and go for it.

I don't like the idea of "taking the plunge". That sounds too close to one and done. I want to build and maintain a contender that goes into every season with a realistic shot.

That means managing assets, maintaining a flow of young players coming up. That does not mean converting an elite player like Trouba into a bunch of firsts. But I think we do need to focus on getting value from him, not simply using him for the next 3 years and then waving good-bye.

I don't see anything realistic in this Trouba for Duchene talk. It just isn't a fit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The something that we don't want to in that proposal was Little. Probably a better C than Duchene and for less $$$. He is a little older though and that is why the 3 younger pieces were thrown in. You only need 1 of them to hit to get your value.

You don't like it? Fine! Keep Duchene. :)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't like the idea of "taking the plunge". That sounds too close to one and done. I want to build and maintain a contender that goes into every season with a realistic shot.

That means managing assets, maintaining a flow of young players coming up. That does not mean converting an elite player like Trouba into a bunch of firsts. But I think we do need to focus on getting value from him, not simply using him for the next 3 years and then waving good-bye.

Where did I argue any differently? You're arguing something I did not argue. We have time to re-sign Trouba, and I don't like the idea of giving up on him at this stage.

Also: what is the ultimate goal of all NHL teams? If we can secure ONE Cup in the next three years, it'd be worth it if we end up losing Trouba after taking him to arbitration a couple of times. Feel free to disagree, but there does need to be a balance of asset building vs. going for it, and I truly believe that the Jets window is opening. We've played gatherers for long enough, we have a very good and young team - it's time.

I don't see anything realistic in this Trouba for Duchene talk. It just isn't a fit.

Yep. Avs and Jets don't make great trade partners, IMO.

MyNHLPearlsOfWisdom said:

Keep him then. Looking back on the original trade, I'd much rather have Little and Trouba than the lesser pieces that are being offered.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Where did I argue any differently? You're arguing something I did not argue. We have time to re-sign Trouba, and I don't like the idea of giving up on him at this stage.

Also: what is the ultimate goal of all NHL teams? If we can secure ONE Cup in the next three years, it'd be worth it if we end up losing Trouba after taking him to arbitration a couple of times. Feel free to disagree, but there does need to be a balance of asset building vs. going for it, and I truly believe that the Jets window is opening. We've played gatherers for long enough, we have a very good and young team - it's time.

Keep him then. Looking back on the original trade, I'd much rather have Little and Trouba than the lesser pieces that are being offered.

Take it easy. :laugh:

I jumped on your choice of words to argue against 2 extremes. There is trading top assets for a bunch of firsts on one end and going all in one year on the other.

I've argued my preference for dealing with Trouba a number of times. I haven't changed my opinion but it is not likely to play out the way I would prefer, or my second choice either.

We will be left with either Aavco's courthouse steps signing or an arbitration award next off-season. I go back and forth on the likely result so I will call it 50/50 between those 2. If it is the arb award he needs to be moved and his value will be diminished, IMO. So I will hope for the long term signing before arbitration next summer. :)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Take it easy. :laugh:

If you attribute something to me that I did not say, then of course I'm going to take exception to it.

I jumped on your choice of words to argue against 2 extremes. There is trading top assets for a bunch of firsts on one end and going all in one year on the other.

But I did not argue the extreme. You can compete and watch your future at the same time - I'm arguing shifting the balance to win now. That doesn't mean you have to have a scorched earth policy.

I've argued my preference for dealing with Trouba a number of times. I haven't changed my opinion but it is not likely to play out the way I would prefer, or my second choice either.

We will be left with either Aavco's courthouse steps signing or an arbitration award next off-season. I go back and forth on the likely result so I will call it 50/50 between those 2. If it is the arb award he needs to be moved and his value will be diminished, IMO. So I will hope for the long term signing before arbitration next summer. :)

I think it ends up playing out as Aavco states, personally. I did not bring this argument up though - I was only arguing against trading Trouba for futures, as was suggested.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Duchenes value isn't that great
Right now
Little = duchene, but duchene has age and higher potential
Dano and petan have youth
And maybe add a 2nd

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

I like the idea of a dynasty through depth. Constant stream of firsts playing key roles and trade off as the become free agents for more firsts. First round drafting/picks seem to be jets strongest skill.

Become a team like Detroit, st. Lois, Nashville who are perennial contenders but just need an extra something ( like Laine ) to win it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you attribute something to me that I did not say, then of course I'm going to take exception to it.

But I did not argue the extreme. You can compete and watch your future at the same time - I'm arguing shifting the balance to win now. That doesn't mean you have to have a scorched earth policy.

I think it ends up playing out as Aavco states, personally. I did not bring this argument up though - I was only arguing against trading Trouba for futures, as was suggested.

You used the words "take the plunge". I used the words "sounds too close to one and done". Just picking on your choice of words. Thought that was sufficiently clear. I used it as a starting point to argue against trading Trouba for picks and also against 'going all in'.

Quite a few posters have been arguing that Trouba seems to want out. Others have argued against that. I see both sides, thus the 50/50. If he is happy to stay here then I agree with the courthouse steps scenario. If he either wants out or just wants UFA I expect him to go through with the arbitration. They might avoid the actual arb hearing by signing a 1 year deal like Isles and CDH just did, but it is the same step on the same path, just avoiding the acrimony of the hearing itself.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
You used the words "take the plunge". I used the words "sounds too close to one and done". Just picking on your choice of words. Thought that was sufficiently clear. I used it as a starting point to argue against trading Trouba for picks and also against 'going all in'.

And I thought it was sufficiently clear that I simply did not want to trade Trouba for a 1sts because we're ready to compete. That's close enough to "taking the plunge" for TNSE.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like the idea of a dynasty through depth. Constant stream of firsts playing key roles and trade off as the become free agents for more firsts. First round drafting/picks seem to be jets strongest skill.

Become a team like Detroit, st. Lois, Nashville who are perennial contenders but just need an extra something ( like Laine ) to win it.

Detroit did it partly by luck, partly by being in the right place at the right time but also by managing those things well. They have made some poor decisions in recent years and their run is over but they had it going for 25 years.

They scooped up some elite Euro talent with late picks at a time when Europe was not being scouted as thoroughly as now. They couldn't do that again. :laugh:

I think perennial contender should be the goal. Everybody gets a little luck from time to time. The trick is to not squander it. We had some with a few of our picks and obviously, with Laine.

Can Chevy draft and develop well enough picking in the 20's to keep it going? Can he manage contracts and trades well enough? Time will tell.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And I thought it was sufficiently clear that I simply did not want to trade Trouba for a 1sts because we're ready to compete. That's close enough to "taking the plunge" for TNSE.

That's how I took it in the first place.
Sorry if my reply made you think otherwise.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I actually don't think Duchene will be going anywhere anyways [mod] but if he were it would take way more then Petan and a couple b prospects .

TBH no big interest in Duch, just not a good fit here so wouldn't give up much for him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The Jets don't need younger D-men. They need better D-men. Hang on to Trouba until you can't get him on the ice.

I can think of 30 teams that need Duchene more than the Jets. A project like Zadorov makes zero sense too.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
It would need to be Trouba for "unknown" and then Duchene would be the "plus" added on the sweeten the deal.

I don't even know who's a legitimate option for a return on Trouba. His value is high, very high. I would vomit if Chevy traded Trouba for Duchene

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
With our young talent upfront, coupled with Wheeler, Little and Perreault, I do not want 6m tied up in more top 6 forward talent, rather have it tied to our D.

With possible infusions of Roslovic and Connor, our strength will become our top 6 depth on entry deals, something we are not sure exists on our back end. Maybe after this season, we see players like Niku and Poolman add to our backend depth, but today, its our wild card.

So in short, it makes little sense to strengthen our top strength while further weakening our perceived weakness.

Pass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad