Value of: Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
It's time. The Dubois experiment has failed in LA. Is there any possibility of trading him out of LA?

Pluses: Dubois is still a physically gifted specimen, young at 25 years old. If he figures it out, he has all the tools to be dominant.

Minuses: Does he even enjoy hockey? Does he even understand it? What does he want out of his career, outside of being paid 8.5 million dollars a year? Where could he possibly go to unlock his "talent", or even justify his contract.

In LA, he has simply not clicked. He doesn't seem to understand the system, his struggles are effecting him mentally, and he doesn't seem interested in doing the bare minimum when he doesn't have the puck on his stick.

Is there any possibility to move him? I'd say that LA would be interested in withholding cap up to an equivalent amount that his Buy out would cost each year, but that makes him more attractive outside of having straight negative value.

I'd immediately think struggling player for struggling player? Huberdeau for Dubois, maybe some picks or prospects go back to Calgary if they can withholding cap to make their hits more equivalent? A cap dump may have to go as well.

I'm not sure what else is possible, lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He left CBJ and WPG as a disappointment as well. Both on the ice and off the ice. The hope with “Prefers Lifestyle” Dubious was that a more exciting, comfortable, and cool lifestyle in LA would maybe unlock his on ice potential. The fact that this has not happened points to a player who just doesn’t get it. I’d estimate his value is at an all time low at this point. You can only fool GMs so many times (and it’s alot) before they start realizing something is fishy.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
His possession numbers based on public data are positive. I'd think he could be moved if teams have proprietary systems which agree.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
He's at the low point in value.... he needs a season of tolerable play so he can be moved, just so his actual worth is clear; right now GMs would have to assume he'll be a terrible player for the full length of his contract, if he played ok hockey for the rest of the season (for example), maybe then a GM would risk a swap of iffy deals of some kind, but any deal presently on the table would make no sense for LA.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's not even a year.

With his disappointing play so far you might as well wait until the playoffs, see how he does and what he brings next year and then see if it's time to move on from him if he still wants to be a meh player.

Reactions: Seanaconda

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
His 5v5 production is pretty much the same it was on Winnipeg... it's just that his production on PP where he used to feast on in Winnipeg has gone completely cold. Beyond that... I haven't seen the "bull in a china shop" mentality from him in LA that he used to show in 1 out of 3 games with the Jets. My theory is that he is not happy about being saddled with a 4th line level talent and a rookie on his line for most of the season and his motivation has suffered as a result. In his career he has almost always played with an elite winger on his line- Panarin in Columbus and one of Ehlers/Connor in Winnipeg so I think playing with bottom-6 players has been a challenge for him.

Huberdeau for Dubois is bad for LA as the Huberdeau contract is much worse. Also not sure Dubois would be interested in playing in Calgary so I don't think LA can trade him there even if they wanted to.

Kings are better off just holding on to him... in the long run he is still atleast a 2C who will put up atleast 55-60 points a season.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Not going to lie... I feel for the Kings, but boy am I so glad CBJ moved on from him. Going back to The Athletic article (There's a thread in here somewhere) I recall it saying how basically he was a spoiled little kid and that drove him to be so highly regarded (big paraphrase by me) because he was only driven to play hockey and he had trouble with coaches. Regardless of my liberties on the article from last year, this guy has shown he remains a tool and I'm so glad he's not with CBJ anymore. Especially after the way he left. Going to be amazing with the Kings they said...oh boy. That's an albatross of a contract even at 25.

That said, it's year one and he's still young. There is time for him to shut us all up. Given his history with CBJ and the Jets, I simply don't see anything positive moving forward with this guy.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It's not even a year.

With his disappointing play so far you might as well wait until the playoffs, see how he does and what he brings next year and then see if it's time to move on from him if he still wants to be a meh player.
If you were to move him, move him now while he does not have movement protection.
I think it is far too early to give up on him, but at least his market was pretty much set in his recent trade.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pierre Luc Dubois........................ More like Pierre Luc DuBad!

ba-dum-tss-travel-mug.jpg

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
The contract is the killer. Comparable struggling player.

Ironically I’d love to see him back with Torts. He got the skills to get thro his head. Comparable cap dumps coming back.

I wonder if briere is allowed to trade his retentions and buy outs. That should be allowed. Likely isn’t.

But he’s a great player at 4-5.5. Higher than that then you get the troubles.

Like him. But needs a torts coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad