Confirmed with Link: Dubas the new GM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
When you have the 4th overall pick you take the BPA. It's fine to ask Babs what our positional needs are and if two players are exactly equal you take the position you need, that's fine. We don't know what went on with our brass, if all Babcock said was that we need D that's fine, if he was pushing heavily for us to overrule Hunter and take Hanifin, that's not fine.

As far as being too harsh - technically you're right and I agree but that wasn't meant to be taken literally. If you take what I said in context (look at the post I was responding to) then my point was that this idea that we should maybe trade for Hanifin to "appease" Babcock is absurd and I stand by that. I would hope that Babcock is fine, he doesn't need to appeased and Mess is trying to stir up controversy for no good reason.
I'm just glad our brass had the balls :wg: to pick Mitch
And agreed that Mess was making a mess which his narrative

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
According to The Score, Dubas is open to re-signing all of Bozak/JVR/ Komarov...ugh....
I bet he is but not at the price/term these players will want.

If there is zero interest in Komarov, I could see him coming back on a year deal to anchor the 4th line/PK.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We don't have room for Komorov. It's a negative having him back. He takes time from the young wingers.
I think he will get a deal from another team.

Reactions: iSophagus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'll be completely honest... I'd take Komarov back on a 1 year deal. Why? Probably some emotional attachment there really. I've always really liked him. The players love the guy as well.

But yeah, it's probably not happening.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'll be completely honest... I'd take Komarov back on a 1 year deal. Why? Probably some emotional attachment there really. I've always really liked him. The players love the guy as well.

Probably not happening but he would be the most likely of the 3.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Maybe bring him back in an off ice capacity? Make a spot of him? Checking coach?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Besides the tightening of the cap the re-signings would cause, what would be wrong with having Bozak back as the 3rd line centre and JvR as a top 6 winger?
JVR will want 8 years. You have to pass for such a one-dimensional winger. Bozak will take much less years and is a C so I am more interested in him.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Probably not happening but he would be the most likely of the 3.

I think the most likely to return is Bozak. The biggest reason being the other options to fill his roster spot are limited.

For Komarov, lots of players can play in his 4th line wing spot. Too many in fact, if you think there's a chance Martin plays. So why bring back Komarov to further overcrowd things?

But with Bozak it's a different story. Unless Nylander moves to C, and by all accounts Babcock doesn't seem keen on it, then we have 2 center spots to fill on the roster. I don't know if any of the centers in the minors are ready for 3rd or 4th line duties, let alone 2 of them. So a signing on July 1st might be needed. Who is available that can do Bozak's job? Derek Ryan, and Riley Nash. That's about it. So why not go with the devil you know? Plus Bozzie might be the cheapest option.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think the most likely to return is Bozak. The biggest reason being the other options to fill his roster spot are limited.

For Komarov, lots of players can play in his 4th line wing spot. Too many in fact, if you think there's a chance Martin plays. So why bring back Komarov to further overcrowd things?

But with Bozak it's a different story. Unless Nylander moves to C, and by all accounts Babcock doesn't seem keen on it, then we have 2 center spots to fill on the roster. I don't know if any of the centers in the minors are ready for 3rd or 4th line duties, let alone 2 of them. So a signing on July 1st might be needed. Who is available that can do Bozak's job? Derek Ryan, and Riley Nash. That's about it. So why not go with the devil you know? Plus Bozzie might be the cheapest option.
Sure, they could use Bozak but someone will give him a much more desirable contract than the Leafs would offer

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Sure, they could use Bozak but someone will give him a much more desirable contract than the Leafs would offer

You make a good point.

That's why I expect JVR has played his last game as a Leaf. Even if he wants to play here, and management thinks there's a roster spot for him, there certainly isn't enough cap space for us to make a competitive offer.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You make a good point.

That's why I expect JVR has played his last game as a Leaf. Even if he wants to play here, and management thinks there's a roster spot for him, there certainly isn't enough cap space for us to make a competitive offer.
Yeah, that's why I think Komarov is the only realistic option to come back although he will probably get more in Europe.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I really think we're better off without all three of them, not because they suck but because we have youth that are dying to play for us that have been treated like caged animals dying to get a chance. Training camp is going to be crazy competitive because some of those youth can see light at the end of the tunnel with a few vets moved out.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Re: Our UFA's

JVR would be nice to keep. Not everyone can be a 200 foot player. He's a good goal scorer and a big part as to why our PP is successful. The issue with JVR, is the contract he is going to get, likely at least 6.5M a year, and 6-8 years of term, is greater than his actual value.

We can afford to sign John Tavares, for more than JVR will get, because Tavares is a superstar. His value will almost certainly exceed the contract he will get. A better comparison would probably be John Carlson. Carlson and JVR I think are going to get similar contracts. However, we could afford to give that contract to Carlssn because he is a defender, a righty at that, and we need another top 4 D.

Tyler Bozak isn't a bad 3C option. I think most of us would prefer a change, but on a short-term deal at a similar or lower cap hit, he'd be fine. Now, issue with that, is I think a team like Vancouver, or Montreal, or someone will overpay him on money and/or term.

Leo Komarov. I personally would be fine with a 1 year deal. Komarov is still an excellent 4th liner, and a very good PK guy. Keep him off the PP and the top 6, and you've got a usful player. Issue with Leo is that we other young players that should get spots. Josh Leivo, Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen, and possibly even Carl Grundstrom should all have a pretty good shot at cracking the opening night roster, so we simply need to move guys out.

Roman Polak should finally fade away. Babcock will almost certainly want him to be back, but I don't see Dubas doing that. He's been outspoken before of how he dislikes "safe players" and Polak is the ultimate "safe player"

Tomas Plekanec is going to Montreal. Ben Smith is going to Germany or whatever. Greening signed with the Marlies. Baun will get a Marlies deal if anything. Moore will go somewhere else.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Nylander isn't ready for center I bet the Leafs resign Bozak. Leafs will need to sign or trade for a number 3 center and Bozak is as good as any available center. He also seems to be pretty well liked in the dressing room.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think we need to remember Par Lindholm
I know it's not a sexy name buy I feel he's going to make a splash and become a Babcock favorite.
Of course we have to see how he takes to the small ice but our scouting staff seems to have a good eye of Euro players that adjust well: Borgman Rosen Aaltoned and of course Zaitsev

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
komarov is not even close to an excellent 4th liner. he only looks decent because of how out of his depth he was playing as a shutdown guy. he's mediocre at best (even that I think is too high praise), and for a team loaded with wingers like the Leafs, he has no business being back

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think we need to remember Par Lindholm
I know it's not a sexy name buy I feel he's going to make a splash and become a Babcock favorite.
Of course we have to see how he takes to the small ice but our scouting staff seems to have a good eye of Euro players that adjust well: Borgman Rosen Aaltoned and of course Zaitsev

Remember when Leaf Nation was all excited about Petri Kontiola joining the Leafs.

As far as players go Kontiola > Lindholm statistically speaking.

So this is a buyer beware situation as you don't really know what you get when you sign a previously undrafted 27 year old player with zero NA experience.

Lets hope Par Lindholm can replace Dominic Moore role of last year if all works out positively with this Euro UFA signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad