TSN: dubas talks deadline & leaf prospects with duthie

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Winnipeg scares me a little bit the other 2 not even close, they slaughtered Edmonton overall this year and they beat Montreal most times too.

Edmonton and Montreal are not on the same level
The scary thing this season is if Campbell gets injured they all likely beat us.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Easy No from Wings. Anderson? Kerfoot? do nothing for us.

Futures? If you mean Sandin + late 1st/Robertson + Mikheyev, + UFA Cap Dump (exp. '21) ok, that might work.

Or

Mantha + Glendening/Ryan (either @50%) + Bernier (50%) for Nylander + Mikheyev.

We can do better than that if we're sending the likes of Robertson and Sandin out the door. Same with Nylander.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
According to cap friendly the Leafs have 12.6 million in cap space following this season more than enough to find a goalie without trading Nylander.

Even if Hyman got 4 million you got 8.5 million to find a goalie and replace Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds and Bogosian.

That's EXTREMELY doable especially since Robertson in all likelihood already fills one spot.

Regardless moving a core piece is completely unnecessary

Not if they acquire Anthony Mantha.

The Leafs have been barely under the cap all season. The only UFAs of significance are Andersen and Hyman, the latter will certainly be up for a raise.

Look at it on a position-by-position basis...
-how much are you realistically going to save on a goalie? $1.5m at most?
-how much of a raise is Zach Hyman going to get? probably $1.5-$2m.
-The concept of acquiring Mantha seems to presume that he'd be "in place of" Alex Kerfoot. Where's that $2.25m in additional salary going to come from?

Going from Simmonds to a league minimum player only gets you $800k. There's no savings to be had from Thornton or Spezza as they're already at league min. Downgrading Bogosian at most saves you $300k.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not if they acquire Anthony Mantha.

The Leafs have been barely under the cap all season. The only UFAs of significance are Andersen and Hyman, the latter will certainly be up for a raise.

Look at it on a position-by-position basis...
-how much are you realistically going to save on a goalie? $1.5m at most?
-how much of a raise is Zach Hyman going to get? probably $1.5-$2m.
-The concept of acquiring Mantha seems to presume that he'd be "in place of" Alex Kerfoot. Where's that $2.25m in additional salary going to come from?

Going from Simmonds to a league minimum player only gets you $800k. There's no savings to be had from Thornton or Spezza as they're already at league min. Downgrading Bogosian at most saves you $300k.

I don't think Anthony Mantha is getting traded so I'm not factoring that in

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
that s going to be some quality futures, Andersen is a cap dump, I don t see TOR trading Kerfoot, guy offers flexibiliy to your forward group but they may have to to clear space.

Bernier at 50 per cent has value, Mantha has value (not less than Zucker who was traded for 1st +B prospect). Assuming Mantha is worth 1st + Liljegren / Sandin type prospect, Bernier standalone’s value at 50 per cent should be around 2nd + 4th (see Lehner deal at a small discount), taking Andersen for the rest of the season may make that 2nd +4th into a first.

Maybe to make the cap work you find Chicago to retain 50 per cent from Bernier at a cost of a 6th rounder, and I wonder if you can do a trade back agreement with retention, like for a 4th CHI takes 50 per cent of Hyman, is that allowed ?

well overall in this scenario, there are no more picks in the draft for the leafs so they d better get the job done :D

Sure, Andersen in the context of this deal is a cap dump... but he's also a player the wings could retain 50% on -- cost them approx $100k in actual cash, and flip for an additional pretty good asset.

As for Mantha's value, Jason Zucker seems to be a pretty good benchmark... but Liljegren & Sandin are not "B" prospects comparable to Calen Addison. I'd also caution -- that post pandemic, very few teams are in a position to add sizable salary commitments, and everyone is looking at their prospects as a way to get cheap productivity.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Easy No from Wings. Anderson? Kerfoot? do nothing for us.

Futures? If you mean Sandin + late 1st/Robertson + Mikheyev, + UFA Cap Dump (exp. '21) ok, that might work.

Or

Mantha + Glendening/Ryan (either @50%) + Bernier (50%) for Nylander + Mikheyev.

Probably something along the lines of:
- Toronto's 1st or Timothy Liljegren
- Alex Kerfoot
- Freddy Andersen
- Abrussezze or Hallander

for
- Mantha
- Bernier at 50%

From the Leafs standpoint, you get a big bodied top-6 winger that likely creates the perfect "spot" for Nick Robertson next year on a line with Tavares & Mantha. You move Nylander in the offseason. I don't neccessarily believe Dubas would do it; but as a fan, I would -- I just don't like the "fit" of the big 4 that the leafs currently have.

From Detroit's standpoint, you get a grade A asset in either a 1st round pick, or expansion-draft exempt defenceman that steps into the lineup immediately. You get an experienced middle 6 forward on a very reasonable contract (with only $5.2m in actual salary to be paid beyond this year); who at 26 years old, can form part of the leadership group for the Wings as both Helm & Glendening are UFAs. You get a goalie that you can retain 50% on, costing you less than $100k in the process, and probably pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder... and a mid-level centre prospect. In the case of Hallander, a two-way guy who can probably challenge for a spot next year. In the case of Abrusezze, longer term, but more offensive potential.

Mantha isn't going to yield a 1st round pick and a Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Amirov.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The scary thing this season is if Campbell gets injured they all likely beat us.
Campbell has been outstanding, but his 0.951 save percentage isn't going to last. The question will be how he will respond in the playoffs. He's looked really solid to me, but then again, so has Andersen in previous regular seasons. The problem is that it's really difficult to assess and adjust goalies in a playoff series.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I’ve watched a fair bit of Detroit this season. Not very impressed with Mantha this season. Some games he absolutely dominates and others he’s been bad.

Not sure why there’s all this Mantha talk - leafs can’t afford his contract anyway.

The player that I would be interested in from Detroit is Merril

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Probably something along the lines of:
- Toronto's 1st or Timothy Liljegren
- Alex Kerfoot
- Freddy Andersen
- Abrussezze or Hallander

for
- Mantha
- Bernier at 50%

From the Leafs standpoint, you get a big bodied top-6 winger that likely creates the perfect "spot" for Nick Robertson next year on a line with Tavares & Mantha. You move Nylander in the offseason. I don't neccessarily believe Dubas would do it; but as a fan, I would -- I just don't like the "fit" of the big 4 that the leafs currently have.

From Detroit's standpoint, you get a grade A asset in either a 1st round pick, or expansion-draft exempt defenceman that steps into the lineup immediately. You get an experienced middle 6 forward on a very reasonable contract (with only $5.2m in actual salary to be paid beyond this year); who at 26 years old, can form part of the leadership group for the Wings as both Helm & Glendening are UFAs. You get a goalie that you can retain 50% on, costing you less than $100k in the process, and probably pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder... and a mid-level centre prospect. In the case of Hallander, a two-way guy who can probably challenge for a spot next year. In the case of Abrusezze, longer term, but more offensive potential.

Mantha isn't going to yield a 1st round pick and a Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Amirov.
:laugh: :laugh: Is this a joke? The Leafs 1st round pick will be anywhere from early 20's to late 20's depending on how far they go into the playoffs, Timothy Liljegren has little to no value for us. He'd be a bottom pairing RD in Detroit as he's not getting top 4 minutes over Hronek or Seider. Kerfoot has no value to us we already have a Kerfoot player in Vladimir Namestnikov so Kerfoot is a no go. Abrussezze or Hallander have little to no value for us either. And Andersen has no value as he's a cap dump. There's noway you're getting both Mantha and Bernier @ 50% retention for the pieces you are offering us we're not moving Mantha within the division without it being painful for the acquiring team and this doesn't cut it.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Campbell has been outstanding, but his 0.951 save percentage isn't going to last. The question will be how he will respond in the playoffs. He's looked really solid to me, but then again, so has Andersen in previous regular seasons. The problem is that it's really difficult to assess and adjust goalies in a playoff series.
That's true, but I think even a 0.915 sv might get us to the semifinals. I'm positive a healthy Campbell gives us that, who knows with Andersen at this point?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
:laugh: :laugh: Is this a joke? The Leafs 1st round pick will be anywhere from early 20's to late 20's depending on how far they go into the playoffs, Timothy Liljegren has little to no value for us. He'd be a bottom pairing RD in Detroit as he's not getting top 4 minutes over Hronek or Seider. Kerfoot has no value to us we already have a Kerfoot player in Vladimir Namestnikov so Kerfoot is a no go. Abrussezze or Hallander have little to no value for us either. And Andersen has no value as he's a cap dump. There's noway you're getting both Mantha and Bernier @ 50% retention for the pieces you are offering us we're not moving Mantha within the division without it being painful for the acquiring team and this doesn't cut it.

Yeah, teams not playoff bound generally don't give up their 1st round picks.

As for Kerfoot, there's nothing wrong with a rebuilding team having both a Kerfoot and Namestnikov. It can't be all rookies.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
f*** if the Leafs traded Sandin for Tim Gleason and we win the cup and have to watch Sandin win 10 Norris' i wouldnt give a shit.

Sounds like you practice in Tucker Carlsonisms.

Key word, *need*. No one is suggesting this team needs a Tim Gleason.

Your reading comprehension needs some work.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Sounds like you practice in Tucker Carlsonisms.

Key word, *need*. No one is suggesting this team needs a Tim Gleason.

Your reading comprehension needs some work.
i dont know how you interpreted what i said, but i can guarantee its not how i meant it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's true, but I think even a 0.915 sv might get us to the semifinals. I'm positive a healthy Campbell gives us that, who knows with Andersen at this point?
0.915 might be enough, unless the opposing goalie throws up a 0.950... :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00