Rumor: Dubas big game hunting? Where there is smoke there is Jakob Chychrun?

Would you prefer Chychrun over .... ?

• I prefer a top 6 winger (Kane, Meier, etc.)

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • I prefer Jacob Chychrun

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • I prefer a shutdown stay at home defender

Votes: 32 13.8%
  • 1st string Goalie (Saros, Yep Saros has been rumored to be available)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Just tinker with the bottom 6

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Foligno was a surprise. Perhaps just didn’t want to be here in spite of injury, optics, etc…Not a great look for our club.
Foligno pricing himself out of Toronto was the only blessing in that trade. He's been awful in Boston..... 33 points in 115 games over there. All for roughly 4 per year. No thanks.

Reactions: Morbo and ITM

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Adding Chychrun will impact the team similarly to adding a top 6 winger.

He has a strong offensive impact, and there are 2 guys in the top 4 who are zero or negative impact offensively.

So Chychrun + a buy low forward candidate would be my preference.
As far as offensive defenceman go, he's pretty average. I'm not saying he isn't good, but the hype behind him and the asking price from Armstrong is completely unwarranted.

Reactions: studebaker17

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Chychrun for Sandin + 1st + B-level prospect or a 2nd.

I think that is close to the package that is rumored they want.

I think it's fine to get rid of some assets for players with some term on their contract.

Chychrun would make us have two first pairings essentially as I hope our D would look like this

Rielly - Brodie
Chychrun - Liljegren
Gio - Holl

I think Greenway is also rumored to be available, looks to be having not a great season, but if they think he can be a good complimentary piece, his price should be pretty cheap.

I'd also be calling around on some guys with term like Laughton or Konecny.

Not sure if Florida still has to move someone out at some point this season or with their current injuries they will be fine.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I think the best option is to bring in a strong 3rd line center and a top 3rd line RW’er. Add Knies to that group and we’d have a very capable 3rd line that could also be an offensive threat.

It would cause a lot of problems for the other teams to match up against… especially when we’re at home.

It’s not the sexiest move (everyone would love to land a big name top six forward), but overall, I believe it would be our best move.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

I think it's fine to get rid of some assets for players with some term on their contract.

Chychrun would make us have two first pairings essentially as I hope our D would look like this

Rielly - Brodie
Chychrun - Liljegren
Gio - Holl

I think Greenway is also rumored to be available, looks to be having not a great season, but if they think he can be a good complimentary piece, his price should be pretty cheap.

Not sure if there are any other good candidates with term outside of Konecny.
If Tor gave up their 2024 first for Meier for a run they could either move him or Nylander to recoup it at the draft.

Either it works and the Leafs make a deep run, or it fails spectacularly and at that point it's time to make some tough decisions anyways

Reactions: aingefan

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I gotta say my dude, you are so strong and brave for coming into this thread and complaining about the team that's 3rd place in the league right now. We're 8th in the league in GA while working with a pair of goalies the GM pulled out of the dumpster and 10 games from Erik "the Swedish Sieve" Kallgren.

Reactions: Magic Man and banks

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If Tor gave up their 2024 first for Meier for a run they could either move him or Nylander to recoup it at the draft.

Either it works and the Leafs make a deep run, or it fails spectacularly and at that point it's time to make some tough decisions anyways

The issue with Meier is that his QO is like $10 million or something. So we'd probably be moving him or dealing with a huge cap crunch when it's time to resign Matthews.

If he comes with a deal in place around $8, I'd do it, but based on Horvat's terrible signing and some others recently, I doubt it.

So you'd be treating him like a rental and hoping to recoup some assets when GMs know you are desperate.

Reactions: Jojalu

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Great post Kyle, it’s nice you left out the abundance of garbage moves you have made
Dubas's garbage moves generally have to do with our forwards and not prioritizing goaltending. On defense and at the draft table, he's pretty good, with the notable exception of Tyson Barrie being the absolute worst Leaf of the last decade.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I can see the appeal of Chychrun to an extent, but he's not exactly a slam dunk target. If the Leafs add another LHD, they're just going to push a quality NHL player out of the lineup to fit them in. The room for a potential upgrade isn't that big. Chychrun benefits from a huge offensive role in Arizona that he just wouldn't get here, so be prepared for his numbers to drop. He's also had his share of injury problems. On the other hand, he's still young and would be a medium term fixture on the defense. He'd also command respect as a goal scoring threat that the other Leafs defensemen simply do not.

Overall though, he'd have a very high cost of acquisition and is probably not what they need. The bottom 6 is a complete mess and they probably want a better top 6 winger than Calle Jarnkrok. If they can fix all of those things on top of adding Chychrun, great. That should be the priority though

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Toronto has 11 guys signed next year, and less than 20million to fill the rest of the roster. We aren’t exactly in cap heaven.

Luckily there are 0 bad contracts and a lot of guys who can chip in for a million or under
(including RFAs who will be cheap).

Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg, Anderson, Timmins, Abruzzesse, Steeves, SDA, Kral, Mete.

Not the sexiest names, but some players who proved they can play in the NHL and maybe they can be complimentary pieces on some lines.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Rielly - Brodie
Chychrun - Liljegren
Gio - Holl

I'd also be calling around on some guys with term like Laughton or Konecny.

Not sure if Florida still has to move someone out at some point this season or with their current injuries they will be fine.
If Dubas decides to pull the trigger on something like this, I'm more than fine with it. No expensive rentals please, but a young player with term, that's another story. Those are some valuable assets going out the door but you gotta give to get, and keeping Knies makes me happy. :)

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kyle Dubas tells us hockey is a strong link game and then proceeds to trade all his picks on a bunch of duds who don't make a difference.

The last two trade deadlines alone has witnessed Dubas trade Travis Dermott, 1x1st, 2x2nd, 2x3rd, 2x4th, a 5th, and a 6th.

What did he get in return?

An injured Nick Foligno, an injured Rielly Nash, a third string goaltender in David Riitich, an AHL player in Stefan Noesen, and the oldest defenseman in the league, Mark Giordano.

The Leafs need to get the best player available whatever the cost this year.
Like every other contender does for the most part?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Luckily there are 0 bad contracts and a lot of guys who can chip in for a million or under
(including RFAs who will be cheap).

Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg, Anderson, Timmins, Abruzzesse, Steeves, SDA, Kral, Mete.

Not the sexiest names, but some players who proved they can play in the NHL and maybe they can be complimentary pieces on some lines.

While there are not horrible contracts, Rielly, Tavares, and Murray aren’t particularly good value at this point. Actually, Murray is probably on a bad contract.

We have some important spots to fill, and cant just value hunt. We need to sign a quality goaltender, a quality 3rd line center, and at least one quality top-6 left winger.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kyle Dubas tells us hockey is a strong link game and then proceeds to trade all his picks on a bunch of duds who don't make a difference.

The last two trade deadlines alone has witnessed Dubas trade Travis Dermott, 1x1st, 2x2nd, 2x3rd, 2x4th, a 5th, and a 6th.

What did he get in return?

An injured Nick Foligno, an injured Rielly Nash, a third string goaltender in David Riitich, an AHL player in Stefan Noesen, and the oldest defenseman in the league, Mark Giordano.

The Leafs need to get the best player available whatever the cost this year.
Most people seem to think the Giordano trade was excellent for the Leafs, I think you may even be the first person I've actually seen criticizing Dubas for this. I'll just say that I see no basis whatsoever for your stance here, the Giordano trade was fantastic!

I also strongly disagree with your statement that "The Leafs need to get the best player available whatever the cost this year.". Not considering cost makes no sense whatsoever, no offence but if this is how you think, you'd make a terrible GM.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
While there are not horrible contracts, Rielly, Tavares, and Murray aren’t particularly good value at this point. Actually, Murray is probably on a bad contract.

We have some important spots to fill, and cant just value hunt. We need to sign a quality goaltender, a quality 3rd line center, and at least one quality top-6 left winger.

Rielly's contract is fine.

Murray may be a bad contract, we will see.

Tavares is overpaid by a little, but I wouldn't call it a bad contract.

I think we have plenty of space to fill out what you mentioned.

Goaltending will be decided at the end of the season.

Without any signings of RFA/UFAs, we have a good base

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
X - X - Jarnkrok
McMann - X - X

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Liljegren
Gio - X

Murray
X

With about 17.5 to fill in the rest.

It isn't like we are searching for star players.

It'd be nice to pick up a good 3C and a 3LW that can score, then sign Holmberg for 4C and give them an energy player on the RW.

3RD is likely Timmins.

If Samsonov plays well, he is due for a raise, but can't think it is a big one.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Next yr Boston and TB will be in cap hell.
That is our window
I do agree, but it also seems like we’ve been hoping that for a while. Even this “should” have been our year with Tampa taking a bit of step back. But who would have expected Boston to be this good? Who knows what’s going to happen next year.

Which is why I do want to go for it this year too, but with someone with term so if we are right and next year we’re finally the clear cut best team in the division, then we’ll be ready.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Great post Kyle, it’s nice you left out the abundance of garbage moves you have made

Considering the only huge piece he's given up (1st for Foligno) was marred by a freak injury before the playoffs (and he was playing well before that) which boils down to bad luck, he hasnt been too bad. If anything, he's been quite conservative at preserving futures compared to most other contenders. The "garbage moves" actually applies to most of the other contenders like Tampa giving up 2 firsts for a .8 PPG winger or a possible lottery pick for Ben Chiarot (just one of the Florida horrible moves), etc. etc. Giordano is widely considered one of the best trade deadline deals from last season.

Looking at the next 3 drafts, the Leafs have all their firsts with the 2 seconds they dont have part of the great Gio trade. Meanwhile, Tampa and Florida have 1 first combined over the next 3 drafts and Florida especially looking like they need to fire Zito into the sun for screwing their team up.

Dubas free agent acquisitions have also been decent and he sells them off decently when they are not. (This is a pretty standard opinion)

It hasnt been easy for all of the cap teams to deal with the covid cap considering big deals have the rising cap baked into them and this really screwed all of them hard, especially teams that just signed big deals before covid hit but the Leafs appear to be one of the teams that better handled their cap in that mess.

Looking at the big picture right now, Dubas has been pretty good. Will he burn assets this season to make a big push? Who knows. Most of the time it doesn't work out so well, not just for the Leafs but any team so the smart money is on not trying to overpay for a piece you want.

What this team needs most is goaltending performance in the playoffs. (having the 2nd best keeper on the ice 6 years in a row has been pretty maddening) so the biggest moves may have already been done before the season started. That being said, I could see both a Dman and forward being picked up, I just dont know how big a splash these will be. Dubas has shown he wont pull the trigger if the prices are stupid like many other GMs.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Rielly's contract is fine.

Murray may be a bad contract, we will see.

Tavares is overpaid by a little, but I wouldn't call it a bad contract.

I think we have plenty of space to fill out what you mentioned.

Goaltending will be decided at the end of the season.

Without any signings of RFA/UFAs, we have a good base

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
X - X - Jarnkrok
McMann - X - X

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Liljegren
Gio - X

Murray
X

With about 17.5 to fill in the rest.

It isn't like we are searching for star players.

It'd be nice to pick up a good 3C and a 3LW that can score, then sign Holmberg for 4C and give them an energy player on the RW.

3RD is likely Timmins.

If Samsonov plays well, he is due for a raise, but can't think it is a big one.

Do you really think the solution to our top 6 is both Knies and Robertson? The year that is supposed to be our best window, we’re going with a rookie out of college and an injured prone kid who’s never been very good even when healthy? That’s not a good plan.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I do agree, but it also seems like we’ve been hoping that for a while. Even this “should” have been our year with Tampa taking a bit of step back. But who would have expected Boston to be this good? Who knows what’s going to happen next year.

Which is why I do want to go for it this year too, but with someone with term so if we are right and next year we’re finally the clear cut best team in the division, then we’ll be ready.

Exactly. We should be making hockey trades to make the team better now and in the future. We don’t necessarily need better players, but we do need different ones who fit different roles and play different styles.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Do you really think the solution to our top 6 is both Knies and Robertson? The year that is supposed to be our best window, we’re going with a rookie out of college and an injured prone kid who’s never been very good even when healthy? That’s not a good plan.

I think Marner/Matthews can play with Ryan Reeves and they will still be a top line in the league.

Nylander can also carry a line on his own.

I would like them to spread out talent, so I'd like them to put guys who are hard on the puck and have some skill as 1LW and 2LW and then spend some money to make the third line a scoring threat.

horner

May 22, 2007
Toronto has 11 guys signed next year, and less than 20million to fill the rest of the roster. We aren’t exactly in cap heaven.
That is true
Boston I think 21 mil
Bergeron and Krejci bonuses maybe 4 mil
Pasta minimum 10 mil
7 mil to spend on 8 players I think

TB 3 mil for 9 players I think
They need to resign Colton

I think we have 12 mil
But if muzzin retires or ltir 5.65 mil
If we can get rid of Murray's contract 4.5

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think Marner/Matthews can play with Ryan Reeves and they will still be a top line in the league.
Nylander can also carry a line on his own.

They don’t seem to be able to score when we really need it in the playoffs though. That’s likely because the opposition can focus entirely on 2/3 of the line and ignore the other guy.

I would like them to spread out talent, so I'd like them to put guys who are hard on the puck and have some skill as 1LW and 2LW and then spend some money to make the third line a scoring threat.

Adding scoring to the third line would cost money, especially if you want guys who don’t suck defensively.

Keep in mind, I don’t think and I didn’t say we were in a terrible spot next year… just not a great one either. I’m not sure our opportunity is better next year than it is this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad