Confirmed with Link: Dronov Gets A Contract, Too (1 year, two-way $770K NHL/$70K AHL) annnnnnnd it's gone.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I honestly think what happened, whether we will truly ever know or not, is that there was a lapse in understanding about the contract meant. Dronov may have been under the impression he made the roster and was blindsided by being waived and his salary dropping to $70k. that makes the most sense to me.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I really doubt that is it. They've already shown that with Svech, Koochie, and the Pon-man at three different levels of prospect quality. Why would other Russian kids need us giving this guy a contract as some sort of safety-blanket? This sounds like a goof (either in the language used to report the "signing" or in clerical work) or directly circumvention that both parties were happy to take part in for mutual benefit at the expense of the rules (ie: like "no negotiations before the signing period" rule).
I’m thinking Nikishin specifically since he’s going to be more of an established player by the time his KHL contract runs out.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If memory serves, this exact scenario played out with a Czech defenseman, Cajkovsky or something…a few yrs ago. He played well enough to earn a contract but then balked at getting sent down so his deal was terminated in short order.

And didn’t they go through this with Eric Gelinas too? He may have just been on a PTO…

Bottom line, it’s pretty hard to crack the Canes blueline, which is good.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If memory serves, this exact scenario played out with a Czech defenseman, Cajkovsky or something…a few yrs ago. He played well enough to earn a contract but then balked at getting sent down so his deal was terminated in short order.

And didn’t they go through this with Eric Gelinas too? He may have just been on a PTO…

Bottom line, it’s pretty hard to crack the Canes blueline, which is good.
Also happened with Swiss defenseman Michael Fora.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not exactly the same but Jakub Nakladal back in the day had a similar scenario. It's probably just not all that exciting to make $70k in the AHL when you're not a North American native and very easy to have the mindset that if you're not going to be an NHLer (name brand, best league in world, etc.) you might as well make more at home.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Not exactly the same but Jakub Nakladal back in the day had a similar scenario. It's probably just not all that exciting to make $70k in the AHL when you're not a North American native and very easy to have the mindset that if you're not going to be an NHLer (name brand, best league in world, etc.) you might as well make more at home.

Now there’s a name I had completely forgotten.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad