Speculation: Driedger's future

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
I would like Toronto to take a chance on him if they move from Freddie and run Campbell/Driedger but i think Seattle takes him in ED

And I dont think leafs trade from before ED

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Depends what he wants, but if it's a chance to be a starter and to get one good contract, Seattle get first swing if he's not traded and I'm not sure how many reasons there are to turn them down unless his heart is set on being on a competitor/some particular place.

In terms of best fit on a potential contender, I think Edmonton makes sense. He and the org should be looking for a place where the plan can definitely be for him to be 1A with fairly little controversy - so no Toronto with Campbell, or maybe no Carolina with Nedeljekovic - but there's a back-up who can be there if things go awry. Maybe that fits Colorado too, but I'm not sure how clear cut it would be between him and Francouz. Boston with Halak returning would also work, but that's a contender on the way down and not the way up.

Reactions: Mr Positive and 42

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think teams are better prepared now too. I doubt you’ll be seeing Seattle getting guys like William Karlsson, Reilly Smith, Jonathan Marchessault, Shea Theodore, or Nate Schmidt for basically free.
Let’s be real: Florida gave them two thirds of their top line to protect two bottom baiting defenseman. Without them, their trajectory would have been different

Reactions: Voight

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Who else does Seattle take from Florida? I would think they easily come to a good deal

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Who else does Seattle take from Florida? I would think they easily come to a good deal
Forsling, Gudas, Duclair (RFA)

Suppose Yandle waives, we’d protect
Barkov, Huby, Verh Bennett, Vatrano, Duclair/Acciari, Acciari:Hornqvist

Ekblad/Forsling/Weegar

UFA: Gusev, Wenn, Dreidger
Exposed: one of Acciari, Horny, Duke (RFA), Gudas, Stralman, Yandle, Nutivaara, Marchment

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He seems bound to hit the UFA market with Bobrovsky signed long-term and Knight having turned pro. I know Seattle gets a negotiating window, but if I were them I'd still select a different player from the Panthers and if they have interest try to land Dreidger in UFA.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
seattle-kraken-logo-102230809A-seeklogo.com.png

Of course only if we can come to an agreement during that 48 hour negotiation window before the expansion draft.
OMG, a Seattle fan. Got to get used to seeing you guys in on discussions.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Vegas was an anomaly. Every other expansion team in recent history has been awful.

None of those teams had anything close to the rules Vegas had and all came in together with another team, thinning the talent pool even more.

Though, expecting the same thing Vegas did would be foolish, given that teams should've learned something and had way more time to prepare their rosters.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Darling is probably the guy people are worry about.

I think Judge is likely gone unless the market won't give him a long-term contract. More than 2 years, I think he goes somewhere else. Only one year? I think he returns. Two years, probably leaves
99% change a team will offer Driedger a contract > 1 year in length.

But even if a team offer just a year, the money would likely be more than what Florida would be willing to pay. It already has ~$12.5 million invested in goalies between Bob and Knight.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Driedger will hit UFA with less than 50 NHL games played in his career.

It will be really interesting to see how big an offer he gets given that short track record in the NHL.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I would like Toronto to take a chance on him if they move from Freddie and run Campbell/Driedger but i think Seattle takes him in ED

And I dont think leafs trade from before ED
He's a UFA. Even if Seattle takes him, he can refuse to play for them and get the deal he likes best.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Driedger will hit UFA with less than 50 NHL games played in his career.

It will be really interesting to see how big an offer he gets given that short track record in the NHL.
Well, Edmonton signed Koskinen with even less NHL experience to $4.5 per year for 3 years. Different GM now but still you can always expect one GM to reach. My guess is 2 or 3 years at AAV around $3 million.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well, Edmonton signed Koskinen with even less NHL experience to $4.5 per year for 3 years. Different GM now but still you can always expect one GM to reach. My guess is 2 or 3 years at AAV around $3 million.

Koskinen was a mid-season re-sign of a guy that had been playing well in the KHL and for a 1/2 season+ as the NHL #1.

Two years ago, Driedger was splitting time between the ECHL & the AHL. And he's never been a #1 in the NHL.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Koskinen was a mid-season re-sign of a guy that had been playing well in the KHL and for a 1/2 season+ as the NHL #1.

Two years ago, Driedger was splitting time between the ECHL & the AHL. And he's never been a #1 in the NHL.
He was top 5 in the ahl in sv% that year and the short bit he played last year.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Would the Avs go that route if Grubauer wants to much? With that d I don't think they need a guy that steals games, but rather someone just steady . And at an assumptive hit of 4 ish would leave room to load up . Hard to argue against his numbers the past 2 seasons, part time or not .

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i think for driedger the best bet would be to take a short term deal with seattle, the goalies available in the expansion draft are average to potential based. He would have a good opportunity to get at least a 50/50 split of the games which he will be able to use to secure a bigger contract down the road.

This seems like a carolina type of move though

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
i think for driedger the best bet would be to take a short term deal with seattle, the goalies available in the expansion draft are average to potential based. He would have a good opportunity to get at least a 50/50 split of the games which he will be able to use to secure a bigger contract down the road.

This seems like a carolina type of move though

Carolina makes sense . They've been searching for their guy for years, great team otherwise.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Would the Avs go that route if Grubauer wants to much? With that d I don't think they need a guy that steals games, but rather someone just steady . And at an assumptive hit of 4 ish would leave room to load up . Hard to argue against his numbers the past 2 seasons, part time or not .

If grubs want too much like 8 mill, then unfortunately we will have to go this route. But otherwise, no way the Avs risk poor goaltending during these prime years.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Seems like the consensus is 3yearsx3million is an appropriate value. Which means one team will come in swinging 4yearsx4million and catch a lot of heat for that. And if he can 50-55 games a year with a .915-.920 that contract would be a bargain.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
None of those teams had anything close to the rules Vegas had and all came in together with another team, thinning the talent pool even more.

Though, expecting the same thing Vegas did would be foolish, given that teams should've learned something and had way more time to prepare their rosters.

Not always; Nashville came in solo. The early 90s had SJ/TB/FLA come in one year after another which gave teams at least a year between expansion drafts.

Anyhow. Unlikely Seattle will have the instant success Vegas had, but you never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad