Speculation: Dreger on Buffalo's asking price for Myers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
And how'd that working out for Ehroff? He has 4 points this season. His current point totals put him on pace to about what he did in Buffalo. If Ehroff has trouble putting 40+ points in Pittsburgh how do you think he'd do in Detroit?

Right now I'd absolutely take Brendan Smith over Ehroff.
Considering Erhoff would be on the 1st PP and pairing in Detroit, he'd get 40 points.

I understand him not producing on the 2nd PP in Pittsburgh but not putting up points when he's out there with Malkin as his center is baffling though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Niskanen has 0+5 points, Ehrhoff 0+4.

Doesn't take long for Kindl to outproduce them. :laugh:

Looks like Anton Strålman was the real deal we "lost" at last summer. he as 2+8=10 points and is +14 at Tampa with a team high ice-time. They are rocking even when hedman is injured, mostly because of Strålman in the back end.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Looks like Anton Strålman was the real deal we "lost" at last summer. he as 2+8=10 points and is +14 at Tampa with a team high ice-time. They are rocking even when hedman is injured, mostly because of Strålman in the back end.

How much of that is Stralman and how much of it is Tampa as a whole?

It is way too early to call, especially with defensemen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I wanted Stralman bad last year and in the off-season.

Petry isn't as good, but he does have a lot of the same qualities.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How much of that is Stralman and how much of it is Tampa as a whole?

It is way too early to call, especially with defensemen.

Guy plays most and in every situation, more PK and IT than Hedman did before his injury.

Plus/minus is usually a stupid stat, but inside the same team it's some kind of indicator. Strålman as team high +14, when the next guy is having +8. That tells something.

Strålman +14
Garrison +7
Brewer +3
Sustr +3
hedman +2
Carle +2
Barberio 0
Gudas -1

Best Rh defenceman from last summer's market, by far. Boyle as been injury mess and Niskanen nothing impressive. Too bad he didn't like our Swedish community.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The thing about signing Ehrhoff to that deal...

You'd have Kronwall for 4-5 years, Ericsson for 5-6, and Ehrhoff for 5. DeKeyser and Smith coming up for contract raises.

The roster would pretty much be set with little flexibility. When you're trying to rebuild on the fly, you want to keep some ability to move pieces around.

But honestly, how is a 2yr, 10M deal ludicrous and terrible when a guy signs for 1yr, 4M? Wings offered him a reasonable deal, Ehrhoff didn't want to come to Detroit so he countered with something he knew they'd turn down. In a vacuum, sure, 5x5 for Ehrhoff is a great deal. But if they sign him to that, you can pretty much say goodbye to any hope of a RH D unless Sproul or Marchenko magically developed overnight.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Guy plays most and in every situation, more PK and IT than Hedman did before his injury.

Plus/minus is usually a stupid stat, but inside the same team it's some kind of indicator. Strålman as team high +14, when the next guy is having +8. That tells something.

Strålman +14
Garrison +7
Brewer +3
Sustr +3
hedman +2
Carle +2
Barberio 0
Gudas -1

Best Rh defenceman from last summer's market, by far. Boyle as been injury mess and Niskanen nothing impressive. Too bad he didn't like our Swedish community.

too bad red wings management saw him as jakub kindl level player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
14 games is all it takes to make decisive statements... Good to know

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I knew Niskanen was a paper tiger. No surprises there.

I'm surprised Ehrhoff isn't scoring more, but with the team winning and posting an impressive goal differential, that's not really a worry for them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I mean, his possession numbers have been phenomenal the last couple of seasons, and he seems like a major driving force of possession in both NY and now in TB, so.

Yup, it's not just this seasons 17 games in a good form, like it looks to be for some [mod] in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
i've watched almost all caps games and i'd say that niskanen has been ok. not good, not bad.

ehrhoff, meh from the 4 or so games i've seen.

Niskanen has always been "ok." But then he put up a ton of points with Malkin and Crosby one season and a bunch of GMs went crazy during summer again. Sometimes I wonder what everybody else is looking at.

With the topic at hand, I'm still unsure how Myers is ever a Norris level defender. I don't think he's ever displayed near the defensive or offensive ability. Maybe he's a late bloomer ala Chara? But doubtful.

This is, by the way, a plea for an explanation. What's the compelling evidence on Myers that makes people think he'll turn the corner?

Last edited:

WingedWheel1988

The Captain
Jan 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
Based on what Buffalo is asking for, I do not know how I feel about Myers at all. Sure he is a big RHD, and Buffalo is a bad team, but he just does not look like the answer to the defensive help we all want Ken to go out and get (in my opinion), not at the expense of who they want from us in return anyway.

I wish we would have grabbed someone in FA, and I know we need help on the back end, but I think we should hold off on a deal to see how the next stretch of games go. No use of throwing 1sts and prospects out the door this early in the season, I think it makes sense to see where the team establishes itself in the standings first.

Might make sense to take a run at Green if we continue to perform throughout the season, that is if Washington decides they are going to actively try to move him, but would rather see someone who doesn't have a UFA flight risk at the end of the season be who we trade for instead at that point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yup, it's not just this seasons 17 games in a good form, like it looks to be for some [mod] in here.

Then give his numbers from that larger sample size, instead of just posting his stats from this year with a typical sarcastic remark.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Wow, just noticed this

Niskanen: 0+5 = 5 points
Erhoff: 0+4 = 4 points
Kindl: 2+2 = 4 points

And if I remember correctly, not everyone here was that high on Anton Stralman... and wasn't too many people's first choice. I think many here had Boyle ahead of him. I think it is safe to say Stralman has taken everyone by surprise. Is he a fluke or the real deal? We'll find out in a year or two...

crashman

Wow, just noticed this

And if I remember correctly, not everyone here was that high on Anton Stralman... and wasn't too many people's first choice. I think many here had Boyle ahead of him. I think it is safe to say Stralman has taken everyone by surprise. Is he a fluke or the real deal? We'll find out in a year or two...

I think it's a solid player, but he's definitely benefiting for Hedman being out and playing on the 1st PP on one of the highest powered offensive team in the league.

Regardless, I do think he would have been the best FA acquisition for Detroit if they could have landed him. I'm not a Quincey hater, but you swap Stralman for Q and the Wings are a much better team.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
stralman is not as good as his stats say but he's still real good.

Defensemen should not be rated on their G/A (pts) alone. It is very misleading.

Stralman had very little production (pts) until Hedman went down.

Being the D-man on the PP is a BIG BIG deal when it comes to producing points.

And if the PP sucks (Buffalo)... Then your D man does not put up many points.

Vatanen from Ana has 2 points NOT on the PP from his 12. How good is he? I don't know, but im sure Perry/Getzlaf are responsible for alot of his points.

Tyson Barrie in Col is great to watch. He is very aggressive (kind of the way we want to see Smith play). He is the real deal. But again PP helps his point totals. But its mostly the eye test that allows you to see how they are making points.

Brodie in Cal is playing great. Like really great. I would love to get my hands on him for the DRW.. but cost would be astronomical.

I think Green is a mixed bag. Sometimes hes awesome, and sometimes he sucks. Its why the WSH fan base half of them want him gone just so the sucky moments dissappear. That being said, it makes me not want to give them blue chip pieces for that FA. I think its going to cost us a 2016 1st rounder, or the deal wont happen. Maybe Sproul/Pulkinnen instead. Either way, I think the odds they trade him comes down alot more to cap hit and his demands as opposed to what we offer.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Wow, just noticed this

I know there was me and I wanna say about 5 dudes/chicks in on Anton. Most wanted Boyle :)help:) which I will never understand but whatever.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I know there was me and I wanna say about 5 dudes/chicks in on Anton. Most wanted Boyle :)help:) which I will never understand but whatever.

Despite his hot start, I'm still skeptical that he'll prove to be anything special and worth his 4.5 million contract.

But right now he is proving you and the other 5 dudes/chicks right. The guy I wanted Kenny to throw a big contract at was Ehroff, but glad he didn't now. I think 5 years would have been too long for him just like Stralman's current contract would be bad for Detroit in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad