Confirmed with Link: Drake Caggiula Signed - 2 years @775k

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
”Frist”

Kinda surprised any thread on Oilers board is empty let alone a signing thread! I’ll say that its at least better to be bringing Connor’s pals into the org at low cost than cutting them out for no reason.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Meh. Smallish replacement level guy. I wouldn’t have bothered.
Another confirmation that time is a flat circle. heh. It feels like this is the third time we've had Caggiulia. maybe its not, just feels like it. If Kyle Turdis is announced I'm a running....I feel the fear. ;)

I pray that Drake isn't up in Edmonton much. My eyes would hurt.

Won't be selling many Jerseys.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Holland said he wanted to get AHL guys that can step up and help a team win even if it's only a couple games. Between Drake and Lane it really helps our depth.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good depth that can play in callup situations if the kids fail to earn one. Not really any logical reasons to complain about depth signings that have no effect on the cap, but it happens here all of the time.
Because given the lack of usage of several rook players by the coaching staff its foreseeable that coaches will just continue to use vet players instead of growing younger players. Cites Holloway, Broberg, Kostin. If the coach was still Tippet or McLellan there would be ample concern with adding more tired vets because of the view the coach would favor them. But even though the present coaching staff are very much this way as well people seem not to think so because the coach is younger.

Yes I could see dud vets getting spots in games and over promising rookies or youth. Because thats been established.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Because given the lack of usage of several rook players by the coaching staff its foreseeable that coaches will just continue to use vet players instead of growing younger players. Cites Holloway, Broberg, Kostin. If the coach was still Tippet or McLellan there would be ample concern with adding more tired vets because of the view the coach would favor them. But even though the present coaching staff are very much this way as well people seem not to think so because the coach is younger.

Yes I could see dud vets getting spots in games and over promising rookies or youth. Because thats been established.

It’s one thing for coaching to not use Holloway (now a sophomore) instead of a guy like Caggiula, it’s entirely another thing for them to call to Caggiula over a guy like Bourgault if Bourgault is not ready, for example

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s one thing for coaching to not use Holloway (now a sophomore) instead of a guy like Caggiula, it’s entirely another thing for them to call to Caggiula over a guy like Bourgault if Bourgault is not ready, for example
In regular season a club should take the approach that some rooks are ready. For some players there will be less learning at the lower rungs and conversely for some too long spent there will have diminishing effect rather than polishing effect. The trick is to know who those guys are. To wit if Glenn Anderson or a Mark Messier were parked too long it would eat at them. It would piss on their psyche. Personalities are different and some players need to be in the show, and they need that to bring their best.

i don't think for forwards particularly that multiple years of being in minors is always ideal. I think it can actually reset development in a way that stymies it. The way to get better in most pursuits is to be exposed to the most challenges therein.

I WANT to see Bourgault, Holloway. I want to see their mistakes. But I want to see their abilities with puck as well. I mixed it up. ;)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
AHL i guess but as far as real depth for the big club i'd say there are proably way better options out there now and closer to camp. If he is playing any large degree on the big club we are in trouble.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
AHL i guess but as far as real depth for the big club i'd say there are proably way better options out there now and closer to camp. If he is playing any large degree on the big club we are in trouble.
Yup, that's how it works with most teams (who aren't Arizona) when they have to over use the 15/16 forwards

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Keeping Foegele, adding Brown & bringing Caggiula back. You cannot say that we aren't trying to keep Connor happy. Hopefully it all works out in the end and we win multiple cups and he retires an Oiler. Otherwise a few of these moves could end up screwing our current cup window (Foegele's cap this year and Brown's bonuses next year). As I see it this is THE season to win the cup because next season could be a very difficult one to get things done with the bonus rollover.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Keeping Foegele, adding Brown & bringing Caggiula back. You cannot say that we aren't trying to keep Connor happy. Hopefully it all works out in the end and we win multiple cups and he retires an Oiler. Otherwise a few of these moves could end up screwing our current cup window (Foegele's cap this year and Brown's bonuses next year). As I see it this is THE season to win the cup because next season could be a very difficult one to get things done with the bonus rollover.
If the goal has shifted to just keeping Connor happy this isn't a good thing. As I stated neither McD or Drai are good judges of which players would help here and I can't find one instance where they have been. With McD its been I love Drake, I love Foegele, I love Brown, McD even convinced himself, somehow, that Manning was going to be helpful here.

On Drais part several experiments with Reiders and Kahun didn't work out and Drai "loved" Yams and Kassian.

its high time to stop listening to who these players want in the lineup. Ultimately they want a championship. Don't lose sight on that. Pro clubs shouldn't be friendly confines where you're playing with friends and people there because you like them, as if you're throwing a party. My own take is that conflict makes teams as much as familiarity and friendly does. We've had too much of the latter. jmo

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There are worse depth options. Can add some scoring down the lineup. Easily buried. Not much to hate about this signing.
Energy player.
If he has cleaned up his defensive game (which was brutal) then he might actually contribute something.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad