Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Even with that inconsistency he paced for over 50 points in a full season.

I know the White contract has people skittish but if we could lock him down for 6+ years we absolutely should.

That will cost us - he probably thinks he has the potential to be a 30+ scorer and earn $7-9 million. It would take that for him to give up that potential. I’d rather jsut pay him that when the time comes … there is no savings in those deals. Your paying for the peak of the player and negative value contracts are worthless around the league.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Has there been any info on what kind of contract term/pay is Batherson looking for?

Are the 2 sides discussing a new contract at all yet?
All the RFAs who are left got qualifying offers, I don't think any of the offers have been made public yet.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That will cost us - he probably thinks he has the potential to be a 30+ scorer and earn $7-9 million. It would take that for him to give up that potential. I’d rather jsut pay him that when the time comes … there is no savings in those deals. Your paying for the peak of the player and negative value contracts are worthless around the league.

I don't think 30 goals gets you 7-9 million necessarily. Hoffman just signed for what? 4.75?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think 30 goals gets you 7-9 million necessarily. Hoffman just signed for what? 4.75?
But he's so much more of a player than Hoffman. He is starting to become a very good playmaker, he's strong on the boards, he's learning to be better defensively & he can drop his gloves if he needs to. He can do so much more than Hoffman including scoring goals, create his own offence & he makes everyone else on his line better IMO. Now that I think of it, how good would Hoffman have been here with Batherson feeding him pucks?

Reactions: bert and jbeck5

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
But he's so much more of a player than Hoffman. He is starting to become a very good playmaker, he's strong on the boards, he's learning to be better defensively & he can drop his gloves if he needs to. He can do so much more than Hoffman including scoring goals, create his own offence & he makes everyone else on his line better IMO. Now that I think of it, how good would Hoffman have been here with Batherson feeding him pucks?

I generally agree with you here haha. I just don't know if batherson will ever be a 9 million dollar player.

I think a fair deal would be 6x6

4-5-6-6-7-8 in dollars.

Maybe 6x6.5 to sweeten it.

Reactions: bert and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I generally agree with you here haha. I just don't know if batherson will ever be a 9 million dollar player.

I think a fair deal would be 6x6

4-5-6-6-7-8 in dollars.
I like 6x6 for him, maybe $6.5. This is one of the reasons I'm against adding very expensive players because I want to see some of these young guys paid so they aren't thinking of leaving as soon as they are able to. Pay them now while you can & build some respect & loyalty with the players so it will be harder for them to leave.

I also hope that the players learn that having too many expensive players weakens the team in other areas. Edm never seems to be able to fill their roster with other great players because two of them earn all the money. Spread it out, try & make as many as possible happy & fill in the blanks.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Cap may not have shifted but pandemic impact on the economy and bottom line will impact how much money is spent from teams as they try to recoup loss earning potential. That's going to cost guys who sign long term right now and probably push guys to sign 1-2 years to revisit as cap and economy recovers.

Anything close to a "squared" contract in price x term would be fantastic, e.g. 3 x 3, 4 x 4, 5 x 5, 6 x 6. With lower risk at the short end. But I see Batherson as likely a bargain in 3-4 years at 6 mil, and an overpayment for the first 3-4 years at 7 mil.

Reactions: aragorn

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Cap may not have shifted but pandemic impact on the economy and bottom line will impact how much money is spent from teams as they try to recoup loss earning potential. That's going to cost guys who sign long term right now and probably push guys to sign 1-2 years to revisit as cap and economy recovers.

Anything close to a "squared" contract in price x term would be fantastic, e.g. 3 x 3, 4 x 4, 5 x 5, 6 x 6. With lower risk at the short end. But I see Batherson as likely a bargain in 3-4 years at 6 mil, and an overpayment for the first 3-4 years at 7 mil.

From a sens perspective, word on the street is Melnyk has made a lot of money during the pandemic. Maybe he uses some of it to ice a strong hockey team? Who knows. We can only hope :(

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Batherson's UFA year is 2025
3 x 4.5 takes him to 2024 1 RFA year left he'd be 26 ; he'd have the ability to cash in on a long term (7-8 years) if he continues to blossom into a top line forward
6 x 6 buys 4 RFA years and 2 UFA years he'd be 29 .. not ideal for him on the next one.
8 x 6.5 ...

Much like Brady I'd advise him to push for a 3 year deal. Advantage to the club is he is an RFA for another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad