Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
One more time - what does Draisaitl have to do with your awful take on Hughes and what’s driving his regard?

We’re watching Hughes perform right now as a top ten producer in the league.

Keep on moving the goalposts.

We’re watching Draisaitl perform right now as a top TWO producer in the league:laugh::laugh::laugh:

8DFBED41-8E18-4203-B70D-AE6C52A3F7F3.jpeg

Certain devils fans were calling me dumb over the summer because I said Sharangovich was nothing more than a third line forward andthat Alex Tuch was far and away the better player . so I am used to being Right about devils players.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

We’re watching Draisaitl perform right now as a top TWO producer in the league:laugh::laugh::laugh:

View attachment 636198

Certain devils fans were calling me dumb over the summer because I said Sharangovich was nothing more than a third line forward andthat Alex Tuch was far and away the better player . so I am used to being Right about devils players.
The “goalpost” is your own post :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Here I bolded it for you, chief:
It does in this circumstance.

you’re talking about a top-5 player in the league for multiple seasons vs a player who hasn’t done anything so far in his career and is being held in high regard from “potential” and “potential” alone.
Clown stuff. He’s producing RIGHT NOW, there’s nothing “potential” about it. This isn’t Stutzle we’re talking about.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

Clown stuff. He’s producing RIGHT NOW, there’s nothing “potential” about it. This isn’t Stutzle we’re talking about.

That’s cool

He’s still not producing more than draisaitl.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

View attachment 636198

This proves that Erik Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL, right?

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

The comparasion only makes sense if you’re taking potential into account. Why else would anyone take Hughes?

To think otherwise is just wrong.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The comparasion only makes sense if you’re taking potential into account. Why else would anyone take Hughes?

To think otherwise is just wrong.
Only if you approach these questions like a toddler and point to the bigger number. Hughes doesn’t need McDavid to score half his points on the power play.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
It does in this circumstance.

you’re talking about a top-5 player in the league for multiple seasons vs a player who hasn’t done anything so far in his career and is being held in high regard from “potential” and “potential” alone.
by all advanced metrics speaking wise Hughes is only second to mcdavid this year so it wouldn't be bold to say hughes has been the second best player in the nhl this year

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You can see the relative stats here:

View attachment 636176
View attachment 636177

Keep in mind this includes hundreds of minutes with an all time great player too. When you control for that, it doesn’t look pretty. I’m not even saying it’s a 100% guarantee Jack will always be better than him, he has just been the better player this season. And very clearly.
Here’s another stat. Draisaitl 68 points vs Hughes 54 points and Hughes has one half elite season under his belt.
Imagine punishing a player because he’s a key part of an historically great PP.
Hughes is top ten in scoring for half a season. We’ve seen lots of examples in the past where players have great half or even full seasons.
Let’s put the brakes on Hughes until he actually does it for at least a full season.
And since most Devils fans are already pushing Hischier for the Selke shouldn’t we also put the brakes on the argument that Hughes is elite defensively until he proves it.
My last post.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Here’s another stat. Draisaitl 68 points vs Hughes 54 points and Hughes has one half elite season under his belt.
Imagine punishing a player because he’s a key part of an historically great PP.
Hughes is top ten in scoring for half a season. We’ve seen lots of examples in the past where players have great half or even full seasons.
Let’s put the brakes on Hughes until he actually does it for at least a full season.
And since most Devils fans are already pushing Hischier for the Selke shouldn’t we also put the brakes on the argument that Hughes is elite defensively until he proves it.
My last post.
Yes, I’m aware you are just looking at point totals and then act smugly towards anyone that dare dig deeper than that. I never even said Jack was elite defensively in a conventional sense, just that he doesn’t give everything back in the way Draisaitl does.

Bergeron is obviously the Selke, that race is over.

Time to move on, no minds will be changed.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
by all advanced metrics speaking wise Hughes is only second to mcdavid this year so it wouldn't be bold to say hughes has been the second best player in the nhl this year
If you have to base your argument on advanced stats - your argument is weak.

Want to know what is better than XGF? Goals. that’s why advanced stats are a weak argument.

We’re going to start to say players with half a year of a track record of great play are better than someone that has had half a decade of great play now?

the only people who believe Hughes is a better player today are Devils fans. Full stop.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I mean that’s pretty much what people who are voting Hughes are saying.

One has a body of work. The other is having a great season.
One obviously benefits from playing with the best player in the world. RNH is a fine player but his point totals are obviously inflated, as are Draisaitl's. The difference is Draisaitl is still an elite, all world player in his own right.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
If you have to base your argument on advanced stats - your argument is weak.

Want to know what is better than XGF? Goals. that’s why advanced stats are a weak argument.

We’re going to start to say players with half a year of a track record of great play are better than someone that has had half a decade of great play now?

the only people who believe Hughes is a better player today are Devils fans. Full stop.
Okay lets base it off Goals which 10 of are outside the powerplay with McDavids playmaking compared to Hughes who produces more of his goals not on the powerplay with Haula and Mercer?
1673903168857.png
1673903337742.png

• Wow
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You’re the one who brought up counting stats. Don’t move goalposts yet again after I merely mentioned Draisaitl’s are better.
This must be performance art. You literally said Hughes regard is based purely on potential, intimating he had no current production.

I get it, it was incredibly stupid and you’re trying to walk it back, but this is embarrassing.

You mean like Jagr and Malkin did?
I guess they’re not very good either.
Doesn’t Hughes have Selke level Hischier taking the tough matchups for him?
Now that’s really my last post! 😆
Still soo salty about the Pettersson/Hischier thread you have to whine in a Hughes thread. Damn, that is cringe as hell.

Reactions: Xirik

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Drai....close poll...maybe in 5 years you can ask it again now its not a question who is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad