Value of: Draisaitl Revisited

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I would rather have Draisaitl for one more playoffs run and let him walk after than get a player+futures.
You'd rather have him for one more 2nd round exit than get something for him?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
You're literally the one that mentioned San Jose.
Because they were the ones who offered Tavares $13m. In your response you said why would Drai go and play for a bottom feeder like San Jose. My point was only that there would be a team out there that would offer Drai more then that- using San Jose as an example for Tavares. San Jose at the time was also not a bottom feeder. They had just acquired Karlsson and went to the conference final.

Because father time hit Heatley hard in his early 30s and I'm positive the same will happen to Draisaitl

Makes sense, since they are both from Germany

1712346411154.png

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I would rather have Draisaitl for one more playoffs run and let him walk after than get a player+futures.

You can get that 'good' player via free agency.

Keeping him for one more playoffs will show McD we tried our best for a cup run. And then spen that 13M wisely afterwards
A big chunk of that $13 million will go to Bouchard’s extension he’s going to demand $8-$9 million a year minimum I’m not sure that would be spending it wisely

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A big chunk of that $13 million will go to Bouchard’s extension he’s going to demand $8-$9 million a year minimum I’m not sure that would be spending it wisely
That's fine. 8M for Bouchard is fair as long as he stays top 5 in goals and pts by D.

You'd rather have him for one more 2nd round exit than get something for him?
Whatever we get for him won't make us go farther than 2nd rd exit so Yes.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The guy’s not a winner, doesn’t care about his own net, and doesn’t play the way you need to play in order to have success in the postseason. On top of that the latter half of that contract is going to look awful. Realistically I’d pass - obviously there’s a price point at which I’d take him despite those issues, but somebody would pay him far more than I would be willing to.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What's the proof?.. I can claim MacKinnon, Makar and Kucherov are playing injured all season.

McD was likely dinged up at the start of the season but he wouldn't be dishing out career best hits if he was 'injured'.

His rights could be acquired from Edmonton if 8th year brings his AAV down
I mean it was literally reported as a high ankle sprain.

He could barely push off that one leg, and his shot was a muffin.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I mean it was literally reported as a high ankle sprain.

He could barely push off that one leg, and his shot was a muffin.
Where is the report? Link?
Whoever decided to dress him for games with an ankle injury should be fired. Maybe it was woody and he was fired because of it :/

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oh, you're unable to google.
I see.

Let me google that for you:

Here you go.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The guy’s not a winner, doesn’t care about his own net, and doesn’t play the way you need to play in order to have success in the postseason.

There are guys I’d take over Drai despite his offense but this is ridiculous…he literally scored 2 PPG in a deep playoff run playing on one leg. He can’t play defense and goal too, so what are you expecting him to play like? There’s also no way you could watch him hobble around with an extremely painful high ankle sprain and think “now there’s a guy who just won’t do what it takes!”

The narrative doesn’t line up with the facts.

Drai himself has talked at length about having to play injured and without mobility caused him to evolve his game when he was sapped of his ability to just beat guys with a burst and he still managed to make himself an absolutely devastating offensive fulcrum. I think it bodes really well for his game as he ages.

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
only active player in the NHL with 5 40 goal, 100 point seasons, he is the statistically best combination of sniper and playmaker in the game.

And before fans of other teams jump down my throat, I'm not saying he's the best goal scorer or even the best playmaker (even though I personally think he is) I'm saying he's the best combination of those two skills in the NHL currently.

Since 2015-16 he's second in goals to Matthews, and second in assists and point to McDavid. his contract, whether people want to believe it or not, will start with a 13, as for the last 8 years, he's been the most consistent goal scoring and playmaking threat in the NHL.

Add on top of that the fact the he has one of the highest PPG in NHL history in the playoffs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The guy’s not a winner, doesn’t care about his own net, and doesn’t play the way you need to play in order to have success in the postseason. On top of that the latter half of that contract is going to look awful. Realistically I’d pass - obviously there’s a price point at which I’d take him despite those issues, but somebody would pay him far more than I would be willing to.
Yeah Leon, pick it up in the playoffs, you lazy bum, letting Lemieux and Gretzky outperform you

Screenshot 2024-04-08 091647.png

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
only active player in the NHL with 5 40 goal, 100 point seasons, he is the statistically best combination of sniper and playmaker in the game.

And before fans of other teams jump down my throat, I'm not saying he's the best goal scorer or even the best playmaker (even though I personally think he is) I'm saying he's the best combination of those two skills in the NHL currently.

Since 2015-16 he's second in goals to Matthews, and second in assists and point to McDavid. his contract, whether people want to believe it or not, will start with a 13, as for the last 8 years, he's been the most consistent goal scoring and playmaking threat in the NHL.

Add on top of that the fact the he has one of the highest PPG in NHL history in the playoffs.

I think Pasta is right there as a combo guy. At 5 on 5 over the last three seasons he is better in both goals and assists. On the PP you start getting into arguing about McDavid factor which is a tired argument we don’t need to have, but even including PP, Pasta is the better goal scorer so I think it’s fair to say Pasta is right there with him. Pasta had more 5 on 5 goals, more 5 on 5 assists points and more total goals.

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I think Pasta is right there as a combo guy. At 5 on 5 over the last three seasons he is better in both goals and assists. On the PP you start getting into arguing about McDavid factor which is a tired argument we don’t need to have, but even including PP, Pasta is the better goal scorer so I think it’s fair to say Pasta is right there with him. Pasta had more 5 on 5 goals, more 5 on 5 assists and more total goals.
they're very close and to be honest it may splitting hairs, but no matter what some people on this site tell you, powerplay points count, and there is nobody who has 5 season of 40g & 100 points active in the NHL besides Draisaitl, and that includes McDavid.

Over 40% of Mario Lemieux's career points were powerplay points and nobody ever brings that up to diminish what he accomplished, but it's always done with Draisaitl.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What's the proof?.. I can claim MacKinnon, Makar and Kucherov are playing injured all season.

McD was likely dinged up at the start of the season but he wouldn't be dishing out career best hits if he was 'injured'.

His rights could be acquired from Edmonton if 8th year brings his AAV down
Well, there is no "proof". None that you will accept anyway, as the team hasn't said he is injured, the player hasn't said he is injured, and there are no medical reports available. There are hints and signs that he is injured though. He was injured earlier in the year, and rumour is that he only came back for the outdoor game.

You can tell by watching him play that his game isn't what it was a year ago. Is that a decision to play more as a playmaker? His stick handling isn't as crisp - the puck rolls off of his stick more often than in past years. Next, when is the last time you saw him take a slap shot? Last year he was shooting quite regularly on the powerplay. This year, he's not shooting nearly as much, and when he does, it's usually in fairly close. He doesn't take many longer range wrist shots right now either. He's looking pass first.

Are these injury related, or a conscious decision to pass more than he shoots? We'll only know if he says something about it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
they're very close and to be honest it may splitting hairs, but no matter what some people on this site tell you, powerplay points count, and there is nobody who has 5 season of 40g & 100 points active in the NHL besides Draisaitl, and that includes McDavid.

Over 40% of Mario Lemieux's career points were powerplay points and nobody ever brings that up to diminish what he accomplished, but it's always done with Draisaitl.

Oh 100% agree and he is *excellent at an all timer level* on his spot on the PP. But, really hard to separate McDrai on the PP, and that is not a conversation worth rehashing for the 100000000000000th time on these boards. I just wanted to leave it as "same tier" and not get into all that.

Reactions: Juxta Position

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Because father time hit Heatley hard in his early 30s and I'm positive the same will happen to Draisaitl
Weird comparison considering these guys are nothing alike. The only thing they have in common is they both had multiple 50 goal seasons and were both born in Germany.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
Right in Vegas wheelhouse. They'll figure a way.
The funny thing is that while I couldn't see Leon fitting in with the Knights, I could see McCrimmon acquiring him for a basket of goodies just to flip him a couple of days later for a much bigger basket of goodies.

That would be right in the Vegas wheelhouse.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think Pasta is right there as a combo guy. At 5 on 5 over the last three seasons he is better in both goals and assists. On the PP you start getting into arguing about McDavid factor which is a tired argument we don’t need to have, but even including PP, Pasta is the better goal scorer so I think it’s fair to say Pasta is right there with him. Pasta had more 5 on 5 goals, more 5 on 5 assists and more total goals.

As an Oiler fan living in Boston... Pasta to Drai has always been such a weird comparison to me (other than being compared because they both signed amazing contracts way back when). They play nothing alike.

Especially at EV... whereas Pasta is a super slick guy who relies heavily on excellent stick handling and drives lines with his skating and agility. He scores more than Drai because he's got a laser-fast release and he gets it away in traffic. Meanwhile, Drai is a plodding (or plotting if you are a real fan) playmaker who relies on elite vision, passing and big-man cycling skills to generate offense almost entirely via playmaking. That's why he's got 46 more assists at EV than Pasta (200 vs 146). He's not really a "goalscorer" at EV, he plays a lot more like Foppa or Big Joe at EV.

It's really only on the PP that Drai becomes a goalscorer, where he has the time and space to utilize his one-timer.

To me Pasta is one of the more "balanced" offensive players in the league... the skills he uses to get goals vs assists are sort of the same. Dangle, pass, move, dart to space, repeat... snipe.

Whereas Drai the playmaker and Drai the goalscorer are almost two different players. At EV Drai drives his line with vision, creativity, size and elite passing. On the PP he plays a much more static, puck-protecting game and tries to disappear and reappear into a one-timer lane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad