Pre-Game Talk: Draisaitl needs to do Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
After last nights game of hockey, played on the worst ice surface imaginable with two of the worst refs imaginable, the Oilers need a rebound against one of the hottest teams in the league and a top Cup favourite.

Knobby still can’t seem to get settled with his middle 2 lines and it appears Ryan, Brown and Carrick are in a 3 man rotation to sit on the 4th line so we will see we what he comes up with tomorrow.

Stetcher instead of Ceci probably won’t happen against the big team that Dallas has, maybe Colorado Friday night. Pickard probably gets the Calgary game with Skinner starting vs Dallas tomorrow and Colorado Friday is my uneducated guess.

McDavid probably only gets one McPoint as Dallas is stingy as they come and we struggle in that rink. Two very tough teams coming up. Oilers will need to be at their very best these two games.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Knoblauch is the polar opposite of both Tippett and Woodcroft.

The guy changes his lines like he changes his underwear.

Which is it’s own brand of frustration. I watched us demolish Anaheim and LA only for him to swap things before STL.

It’s weird.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
After last nights game of hockey, played on the worst ice surface imaginable with two of the worst refs imaginable, the Oilers need a rebound against one of the hottest teams in the league and a top Cup favourite.

Knobby still can’t seem to get settled with his middle 2 lines and it appears Ryan, Brown and Carrick are in a 3 man rotation to sit on the 4th line so we will see we what he comes up with tomorrow.

Stetcher instead of Ceci probably won’t happen against the big team that Dallas has, maybe Colorado Friday night. Pickard probably gets the Calgary game with Skinner starting vs Dallas tomorrow and Colorado Friday is my uneducated guess.

McDavid probably only gets one McPoint as Dallas is stingy as they come and we struggle in that rink. Two very tough teams coming up. Oilers will need to be at their very best these two games.

Even though I would prefer Ceci come out for Stecher, if the team is so fundamentally addicted to keeping Ceci in the lineup then I'm ok if Vinny comes out for a bit too.

We just need a bigger sample size with Stecher to drive home the benefit he brings to coaching and management which currently seem focused on ignoring it. We break the puck out too slow, we make bad passes in the middle of the ice, and some of our d men are too slow to cover off the risk inherent in the way we play aggressively at the blue lines. Stecher does a little bit to mitigate all of that. Even if one of Ceci or Vinny could just get a minor injury that takes them out a week; anything to get a consistent look at Stecher at this point is a good thing IMO.

I can already foresee a situation in the playoffs where certain members of our defence are getting blown up on the forecheck, but no lineup changes because the coaching staff doesn't want to ruffle feathers/pursue an unknown. It's frustrating to me that they are trying all kinds of different looks up front to prep for different playoff matchups, but simply refuse to do the same thing on defence.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

This has been gradually changing since 2019-20. 4-2 on the strength of 2 OTW. 10 goals in the last two games there. The main thing is that Oettinger doesn't seem to excel vs. Edmonton.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Which is it’s own brand of frustration. I watched us demolish Anaheim and LA only for him to swap things before STL.

It’s weird.

Woodcroft not blending lines is an interesting take.

He swapped two players (Perry/Foegele) and just kept his rotation on the 4th line going. Hardly running the blender. As the game progressed he needed to do a little to manage ice times with all the penalties and video reviews messing with the flow in the 2nd period and then when Edmonton got down early in the 3rd.

I've no issue with him trying what he did yesterday and the team played pretty decently overall until they got thrown off a bit by the goal reviews for a good good chunk of the 2nd and a few too many defensive blunders. McDavid played a pretty average game by his standards as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

It’s weird.
Knob never got a TC here. He changes things up as much as he does to see what we got here in configs and now he's got new toys to pay with since TDL and also getting Perry. Theres lots to look at and see where it fits. But you do this in regular season because:

It gives you the maximum look at possibilities and flexibility while you can.

It gives you that info and intelligence for playoffs when you often need it and know what you got and for the players to have increased familiarity with different configs.

I find the changes a bit annoying but KK has stated its to see what we got.

PLEASE keep Drai and Henrique together. They were working off each other and you could tell they wanted it to go. Not convinced on Perry or Kane being thirds on that line. Keep experimenting. Henrique and Drai skilled enough, and puck possession enough to carry that line. Maybe even move a grinder Carrick in there. Or foegele again or McLeod on wing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Knob never got a TC here. He changes things up as much as he does to see what we got here in configs and now he's got new toys to pay with since TDL and also getting Perry. Theres lots to look at and see where it fits. But you do this in regular season because:

It gives you the maximum look at possibilities and flexibility while you can.

It gives you that info and intelligence for playoffs when you often need it and know what you got and for the players to have increased familiarity with different configs.

I find the changes a bit annoying but KK has stated its to see what we got.
Precisely the way I see. I'm liking that he making less changes as we approach the end of the year, versus the first few weeks post-deadline, but it's been pretty clear that he was doing these to test scenarios.

All the evidence I need came in the winning streak while Edmonton was still in the stretch that they desperately needed wins. He seldomly changed much and only started to after the break once Edmonton had settled themselves into a position where it was about 90%+ certain the team was on track for playoffs and even some of that early tinkering was likely as much about testing scenarios for management to help their deadline decision making.

This is kind of refreshing to see as it feels like the first time since the glory years Edmonton is playing out the string like a contender instead of feeling the need to chase every single point with absolute desperation. I still think chasing first last year hurt them more than it would have should they have used the last two weeks to build towards game 83 instead of grinding themselves in the hopes of getting home ice in the second or third round. Ultimately the team has the exact same record home or away since the bubble, so focus on the big picture not the immediate.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Whatever happens with this season kiddos we have on paper the most talented club we've seen here in decades. Adding guys like Perry and Henrique to already a star infused club is interesting in anycase. The skill on ice, on pucks, its filthy. We were creating at will against Blues and have in pretty much every game. Teams are hanging on against us. Sometimes.

You see moments like a third line of Kane, Perry, McLeod or something like that and you think you're dreaming. This is nothing like DOD times,

Whatever happens its some great viewing. Even when Perry isn't getting on the board he's entertaining alone.

Drai and Henrique if kept together are making some next level plays.

That pass from McD to Drai? Man oh man. Win or lose that is gold.

We take for granted on a game to game basis plays that are magical that other fans seldom see from their clubs. Enjoy this stuff. It might never come again.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Whatever happens with this season kiddos we have on paper the most talented club we've seen here in decades. Adding guys like Perry and Henrique to already a star infused club is interesting in anycase. The skill on ice, on pucks, its filthy. We were creating at will against Blues and have in pretty much every game. Teams are hanging on against us. Sometimes.

You see moments like a third line of Kane, Perry, McLeod or something like that and you think you're dreaming. This is nothing like DOD times,

Whatever happens its some great viewing. Even when Perry isn't getting on the board he's entertaining alone.

Drai and Henrique if kept together are making some next level plays.

That pass from McD to Drai? Man oh man. Win or lose that is gold.

We take for granted on a game to game basis plays that are magical that other fans seldom see from their clubs. Enjoy this stuff. It might never come again.

Yeah, and we're even starting to see a bit out of the fourth line as well. Back to back games opening the scoring on virtually identical goals generated by effective play by the 4th line.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I get the need to rotate players in but stop sitting Brown. It was completely warranted earlier but he has 5 points in his last 8 games. He’s currently playing way better than anyone on the 4th line.

It is completely dumbfounding that they pretty much refused to take him out of the lineup no matter what when he 100% deserved it, but then rotate him in and out when he's finally getting some traction.

Ryan/Carrick and eventually Janmark/Holloway need to be the guys that need to be decisioned game to game on the 4th line, not Brown.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Anyone also find it funny how they kept talking about how St. Louis had five 20 goal scorers that few teams have that. Well Edmonton currently has 5 with Henrique, and three more players that are one good week of scoring could also bring them to that number.

They also have 2 more players that have scored 20 at some point in their careers, and two more than have been to 18 or 19.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, and we're even starting to see a bit out of the fourth line as well. Back to back games opening the scoring on virtually identical goals generated by effective play by the 4th line.
A lof of younger fans never saw the DOD doldrums or the mid 90's doldrums. They didn't see the best team on Earth either. Those perspectives offer a look at great vs bad. Of a team that is magical vs meh.

I say win or lose because we never know. But the play thats happening on the ice with this team, its the kind of magic you dream of when the Oilers are drafting guys like McD, Drai. I try not to lose sight of that for the most part regardless of results.

These games are magical to watch. They're the best games that are on.

Yeah 4th line even was looking like something.

Just incredible how many talented player options KK has now. Really feels like we're watching precap Dallas or Colorado or Detroit clubs.

Reactions: Biltmore

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It is completely dumbfounding that they pretty much refused to take him out of the lineup no matter what when he 100% deserved it, but then rotate him in and out when he's finally getting some traction.

Ryan/Carrick and eventually Janmark/Holloway need to be the guys that need to be decisioned game to game on the 4th line, not Brown.

I'm still not sure why Perry can't be one of the guys in the rotation as well. Especially while we are in this 9 games in 15 days in 7 cities stretch and then again in the 6 in 9/5 in 7 to finish the year. Frankly in that last 6 game stretch, I'd hope at least half the players get one game off somewhere in that stretch as I'd assume they'll call up one player for that last 9 day stretch.

Reactions: McDoused

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm still not sure why Perry can't be one of the guys in the rotation as well. Especially while we are in this 9 games in 15 days in 7 cities stretch and then again in the 6 in 9/5 in 7 to finish the year. Frankly in that last 6 game stretch, I'd hope at least half the players get one game off somewhere in that stretch as I'd assume they'll call up one player for that last 9 day stretch.

I'd have him there if he gave me any reason for him to be, but other than a small handful of games where he wasn't good (usually coincided with full roster shitty play) he has been a contributor in every game. Same thing with Brown over the last month or so.

Can't say the same for Ryan/Carrick/Janmark.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
A lof of younger fans never saw the DOD doldrums or the mid 90's doldrums. They didn't see the best team on Earth either. Those perspectives offer a look at great vs bad. Of a team that is magical vs meh.

I say win or lose because we never know. But the play thats happening on the ice with this team, its the kind of magic you dream of when the Oilers are drafting guys like McD, Drai. I try not to lose sight of that for the most part regardless of results.

These games are magical to watch. They're the best games that are on.

Yeah 4th line even was looking like something.

Just incredible how many talented player options KK has now. Really feels like we're watching precap Dallas or Colorado or Detroit clubs.

The only fortunate part of the mid-90s through to about 2010 is that we did get to see some pretty fun third and fourth lines but unfortunately we were always 3 players short for the first two lines. MGM Grand line was fun to watch. Dowd, Devereaux and Laraque on a 4th line where all three players had hat tricks in the same season. Even that fun run with with I believe Brodziak Stortini, and Glencross that almost got us into the playoffs in 2008 or 2009.

It's nice to finally see strength in the top 6 with actual NHLers in the bottom 6. Hopefully this newfound chemistry carries over and we get to witness a third and fourth line that can contribute 4-5 goals in a series would be monumental for this team.

I'd have him there if he gave me any reason for him to be, but other than a small handful of games where he wasn't good (usually coincided with full roster shitty play) he has been a contributor in every game. Same thing with Brown over the last month or so.

For sure, I can't dispute it, just more of an age thing with the game totals piling up here he (and some others higher up the lineup) may benefit from a night off, much like Ekholm came back after a night off looking better than he ever has.

Reactions: Biltmore and K1984

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The coaching staff is just trying out a bunch of different combinations in games that don't really matter to see what they have in action.

Knoblach has outright said that they were going to do this multiple times. The first time was weeks ago now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I get the need to rotate players in but stop sitting Brown. It was completely warranted earlier but he has 5 points in his last 8 games. He’s currently playing way better than anyone on the 4th line.
He's actually playing well at times. But deserves to be said with less minutes and with careful usage of. Drop Brown into a 4th line situation where not much of anything is expected and he can exceed that. Put him in topsix and he gets wrecked, and also playing against stiffer opposition.

I'll note as well that all the uptick in Browns game came subsequent to Perry, Henrique, Carrick being options here and the very prospect of brown getting healthy scratched was much more likely.

Browns problem potentially is that he never carved out a position here for himself other than pk. Its not enough of a niche to consistently be in lineup. He will sit out games at times now.

Whatever one thinks of soldiers like Derek Ryan or Janmark that have done everything asked of them how do you sit those guys every night when they brought it all season in favor of Connor Brown who hasn't? All of Carrick, Ryan, Janmark pk as well and bring the same and more intangibles. Janmark has also been flying since the team added extra players. Guys are being pressured into better play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Disagree with Janmark. Guy has been flying, making plays, getting breaks, getting into fights. Results haven't been there as much but play has been at a high level since TDL. Janmark has a pace to his game few of our players get to.

For sure the results arent there and he could be done as far as hands or finish. But plenty of effort.

I could see sitting him but just that he's on so many pucks and often first on forecheck. Doesn't get on the board but sustains zone time.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Disagree with Janmark. Guy has been flying, making plays, getting breaks, getting into fights. Results haven't been there as much but play has been at a high level since TDL. Janmark has a pace to his game few of our players get to.

For sure the results arent there and he could be done as far as hands or finish. But plenty of effort.

I could see sitting him but just that he's on so many pucks and often first on forecheck. Doesn't get on the board but sustains zone time.

I like him too and agree that he has been playing some good hockey lately. It just tends to come and go a bit, and I wouldn't hesitate to take him out if he's not doing much for any amount of time.

Kind of a boom or bust player that is either going to make an impact on the 4th line in a variety of ways or do absolutely nothing without much in between.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Janmark is an extremely low event player. He's basically 10 5 on 5 minutes a game where absolutely nothing happens. Given that plus the bonuses that he's cheap and the teams best penalty killing forward he's not coming out.

Brown should not come out either IMO. He's not the player his cheerleaders pretend he is but he's definitely better than Carrick or the ghost of Derek Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad