Proposal: Draisaitl for Slavin+ rights for Necas this summer

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How integral is Slavin to what we do? There are zero forwards in the NHL we trade Slavin for. Zero.

It's not about value, it's about how we are built and play the game.
If this is the case, then maybe Carolina should re-think how they are built and play the game because it's certainly not leading to success in the playoffs.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
We have 3D that are signed for next year.. Trading one of them Would make other teams Jump at the chance to Bend us over the barrel to get more D.
We have no internal replacements.. ATM. most are 1-2 Out..

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
How integral is Slavin to what we do? There are zero forwards in the NHL we trade Slavin for. Zero.

It's not about value, it's about how we are built and play the game.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but how's that working out for you?

Carolina have been perennially one of the, if not (in aggregate) the best team in the regular season for like 5 years straight... and then can't score in the playoffs.

And we are talking about adding one of the best (two way) playoff performers in the game. And, yes, I'm aware Drai isn't always a two-way player in the long regular season... but you guys have already solved that part... you need a playoff game breaker.

I actually kind of like this trade (as a starting point) for both teams IF AND ONLY IF we know we have to move on from Drai.

These teams could learn from each other... good trading partners IMO.

Having said all of that: Carolina is adding a couple of picks here OR taking on Nurse as part of the return (maybe with retention)

To Carolina: Nurse at $7.25, Draisaitl
To Edmonton: Slavin, Necas, 1st, $2M of Nurse is retained

Rationale:
* Slavin is a huge upgrade on Nurse, but after retention and Slavin's new contract, we're going to be paying north of $9M for him (effectively)
* Edmonton downgrades big time on Necas, probably more than Nurse to Slavin (once you factor in our new salaries and retention)...
* So Edmonton still needs a sweetener... that's the 1st.
* Failing that, either:
A) Take Nurse out and Carolina adds a 2nd: Slavin, 1st, 2nd, Necas = Drai
B) Edmonton looks around for a better (ie cheaper younger assets) package for Drai and keep Nurse

Reactions: MikeFolignosHelmet

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I know, and the Oilers are not parting with Draisaitl.

I doubt they let him walk for free if he doesn't extend in the offseason.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I doubt they let him walk for free if he doesn't extend in the offseason.
No way they are trading him even in that situation, he would want to go to a contender of course and they only offer picks and shit, Oilers are in win now mode and he'll be a rental then. They are giving him a blank cheque at the end of his contract.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I'll be really surprised if the Oilers won't resign Draisaitl. We read that kind of speculation every year but when was the last time a top5 (or top10 to have a larger sample size) player wasnt resigned but traded instead.
Does Matthew Tkachuk count?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Drai is Edmonton's best playoff performer.

Only an insane snowblower of a GM trades a player like that while the team is good enough to seriously challenge for the cup.

For better or for worse, Edmonton will be an offense first time. McDavid, Drai and Bouch present a scary system that pushes teams to take penalties, that will ultimately feed the league's best all time powerplay to provide the offensive opportunities required to get the ends in many a series.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah.... to all the Canes fans saying 'Slavin is untradeable'... like come on. Yes, he is. You make this trade 11 times out of 10 to get Draisaitl.

A 28 year old, top 3 forward in the game superstar would completely change the Hurricanes organization for the better.

Having C for next year be Draisaitl, Aho, Staal, Kuznetsov/Drury/Kotkaniemi would put the Canes in rarified air.

The team defence thing will only get you so far. All of the final 4 teams have elite talent. That's what you need to come through in the playoffs and Leon is like literally one of the best ever at that.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Even working under the premise that Draisaitl tells Edmonton that he isn’t interested in extending and he becomes available, how would there not be multiple teams willing to outbid this proposal? OP is wishful thinking.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
You can't sign him if he wants out

I don't think they can get a ton.

In the event he wants out and you go to trade him you have hand cuffed yourself. He will limit the teams he will extend with. This is Hanifin all over

Oilers keep Drai and push for cup
It’s not Hanafin or even remotely close to it. Drai is a top 5 player. Top 3 in the post season.

If he’s on the market, there is an offer that could be worth it. Oilers simply won’t do it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't see why Edmonton would move Draisaitl unless they absolutely have to, because he won't re-sign there.

He's their best player.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Canes fans (not all but many) on here embarrass themselves every time Slavin's name comes up. It's ridiculous
Agreed. He's great... but he's not that great. With this new crop of young D-men who can score 80-100 points, you just can't put a guy like Slavin in that untouchable, elite tier. He's very very very good defensively and it's cool he can score 40ish points a year too but guys who are better than Draisaitl in the league you can count on one hand... or maybe just a couple fingers. You do this deal every time without hesitation.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I feel like this is a conversation that began when it looked like EDM might get dumped out of the playoffs again but that didn't happen and now it seems silly to even consider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad