TV: Dragon Ball Super English Dub (No Spoilers)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Thought we could get a thread up for those interested in Super which released its first few episodes the past few weeks on Toonami I believe. Please no spoilers from the Japanese version, I know it's already like 70 episodes in or so.

I've enjoyed the first few episodes. Having seen the movies it's based on I know it's going to be a slow start but I like how they're doing it so far.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Akira Toriyama was a great man but somebody needs to stop him.

By the way I feel you, can not watch the dbz dub. Goku sounds like a 12 year old girl.

edit: sub, not dub

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
There's already a thread without spoilers but I guess this'll do too.

I've already watched all the episodes from the Japanese version but be prepared for some shoddy animation quality and boring episodes in the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F arcs. They add a little more depth in places compared to the films but the fights and animation vastly pales in comparison. The slice of life episodes in between the arcs are enjoyable though.

The two arcs following are really good though, especially the last major one. Animation has improved a ton, and minimal filler/ridiculous plots like Z. Looking forward to watching the English dub but there's no way I'm waiting for them to eventually catch up to where I am now so I'll continue watching the Japanese version.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Akira Toriyama was a great man but somebody needs to stop him.

By the way I feel you, can not watch the dbz dub. Goku sounds like a 12 year old girl.

Have you watched it? Liked both episodes so far. From what everyone tells me that watches the Japanese version it's definitely worth a watch.

Yeah that's pretty much the sole reason I can't watch it either haha.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Have you watched it? Liked both episodes so far. From what everyone tells me that watches the Japanese version it's definitely worth a watch.

Yeah that's pretty much the sole reason I can't watch it either haha.

I have not, have not even seen the movies, but just what I've heard it sounds ridiculous. Also apparently they made gohan even weaker than gt did and mystic gohan no longer exists. Just another thing Toriyama forgot about.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I have not, have not even seen the movies, but just what I've heard it sounds ridiculous. Also apparently they made gohan even weaker than gt did and mystic gohan no longer exists.

Goku? I don't think that's the case at all. Gt was awful and not made by Toriyama.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
There's already a thread without spoilers but I guess this'll do too.

I've already watched all the episodes from the Japanese version but be prepared for some shoddy animation quality and boring episodes in the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F arcs. They add a little more depth in places compared to the films but the fights and animation vastly pales in comparison. The slice of life episodes in between the arcs are enjoyable though.

The two arcs following are really good though, especially the last major one. Animation has improved a ton, and minimal filler/ridiculous plots like Z. Looking forward to watching the English dub but there's no way I'm waiting for them to eventually catch up to where I am now so I'll continue watching the Japanese version.

I didn't see one when I searched. I think it's best to start up a new thread anyway with the English dub recently premiering.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Mystic gohan, remember at the end of dbz gohan could no longer go super saiyan

Misread you, it's late and I should be in bed lol.

That's not true though, Gohan could go super saiyan but his mystic form was stronger than super saiyan three. Transforming fatigues the saiyans, Gohan's mystic form was stronger and didn't fatigue him like other transformations did. He was actually the strongest Z fighter at the end of DBZ technically. But I'm really glad they didn't have him end it considering how he got his power was beyond stupid.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I have not, have not even seen the movies, but just what I've heard it sounds ridiculous. Also apparently they made gohan even weaker than gt did and mystic gohan no longer exists. Just another thing Toriyama forgot about.
[spoil]Gohan has been MIA from the series in terms of actually being a fighter because he's a professor's assistant at the moment. The show does seem to be heading in the direction of eventually making him relevant again. Mystic Gohan still exists, it wasn't forgotten about.

He did somewhat retcon the Vegito fusion though which pisses me off. And he brought back Kaio-ken for Goku.[/spoil]

Last edited by a moderator:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Can we please keep what happens in the Japanese version out of this? I'd rather it be a surprise since I've waited this long already for the English dub version.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The one big thing the English dub has gotten right is Beerus' and Whis' voice actors. I think it will be tough for Schemmel to match how incredible Masako was in one respect, though.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I watched up to episode 13 in subs, but couldn't go on any further. Good thing it's a rehash of BoG so it didn't really matter. I'm fine with watching shows in sub, but DB is one you have to watch in the dub.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
please don't post spoilers in this thread for episodes that have yet to air in English. Use the other thread linked here to discuss the Japanese release of episodes.

If you must post something here that might violate this, use spoiler tags, which are [ spoil ] and [ /spoil ] without the spaces between the square brackets and the inner content.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Great, now I can just go back to watching dubs since I cringe at Goku's cringey lady voice and King Kai's robotic tones for the subs.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
By the way, I don't hate GT. The art is fantastic, much better than you're ever going to see from Toei in 2017

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
74 episodes on the Japanese side. It's why I got crunchyroll. haha However, the first two sagas cover the movies which are available in dub now. They just expand on the details.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
By the way, I don't hate GT. The art is fantastic, much better than you're ever going to see from Toei in 2017

The animation is great and consistent, that's about the only positive thing it has though. The story is awful outside of a few certain storylines. The humor is completely different from DB and DBZ. The writing is just terrible for 90% of it.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think people who waited for the dub will begin to enjoy it more once they get past the retelling of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. The following 2 arcs have been great (especially the latter) and this new arc should be fantastic if they do it right.

As for the 2 episodes of the dub so far, they've been good. However, I've really grown to like the Japanese voice actors (I never watched any dbz subs until Super). Like someone else said earlier, I'm not sure if Schemmel will be able match Masako Nozawa's performance later in the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad