GDT: Draft thread - 2023

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm sure most of those other players got to ride shotgun with Draisatl...

Yamamoto still has time to turn things around but seeing as we got exactly nothing for him it's probably safe to say that yes, it's another crappy Oilers draft pick.
he got nothing for him because he's a cap casualty, not because he isn't an NHLer...dude had 20 goals last year FFS but he's a "bust" in your eyes

f*** off with this nonsense

As far as the Oilers are concerned he was. We needed a player there. Wound up with zero as he was traded for nothing.
he is a player, dude scored 20 goals last year

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
he got nothing for him because he's a cap casualty, not because he isn't an NHLer...dude had 20 goals last year FFS but he's a "bust" in your eyes

f*** off with this nonsense

he is a player, dude scored 20 goals last year
So did the guy the Flames traded for and there was a lot of ragging on him.

Yamamoto played his way off the team this year, plain and simple. The Oilers used a first round pick on a middling at best player and received exactly nothing in return for him.

That's a wasted pick no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: Beerfish

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So did the guy the Flames traded for and there was a lot of ragging on him.

Yamamoto played his way off the team this year, plain and simple. The Oilers used a first round pick on a middling at best player and received exactly nothing in return for him.

That's a wasted pick no matter how you slice it.
you're acting like Kailer was a top 10 blue chip prospect FFS :laugh:

10 bucks says when Yamamoto rebounds with Detroit, you'll be crying about how the Oilers "gave away a good player for nothing"

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
you're acting like Kailer was a top 10 blue chip prospect FFS :laugh:

10 bucks says when Yamamoto rebounds with Detroit, you'll be crying about how the Oilers "gave away a good player for nothing"
If he does rebound then good for him, I hope he does.

And if he does that reflects even worse on the Oilers.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why is it a weird take?

He gave yamo and two year deal for a flawed buy who should not have been in our plans last year. Yamo has been the exact smae guy all through his career, then we have to give him away when we should have jettisoned him last year.

Kostin, he finally makes a trade and gets a guy that helps the team. Then has to boot him to the curb the next year.
You would be in here complaining if he signed Kostin to the number he wants

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Man what a great pick Yamamoto was... Another one for the crappy draft pick pile. The post-McDavid drafts are really not looking great.

Cause the overwhelming majority of late 1sts always become NHL players except when the Oilers draft them.

Please tell me how many 20 goal scorers drafted between picks 20-31 there have been since Yamamoto was drafted.

Reactions: North

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You would be in here complaining if he signed Kostin to the number he wants
I would if we were giving him a 3 yea deal for like 3 mill a year, yes i would.

Kostin actually was a good looking lower line player who provided something good.

Of course we could not afford him becasue we had to have that million dollars to give to Ryan for each of the next two years.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Cause the overwhelming majority of late 1sts always become NHL players except when the Oilers draft them.

Please tell me how many 20 goal scorers drafted between picks 20-31 there have been since Yamamoto was drafted.
All of them if they are handed big minutes in the top 6 with mcdavid and drai. Everyone scores 20 with those two.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
See? always the Oilers fault
if he fails, its the Oilers fault for drafting him
if he succeeds, its the Oilers fault for "giving him away"

your M.O to a tee
If he succeeds with the Oilers that's great. But he didn't. Why? Was he a bad pick? Did they not develop him very well? That's the question that needs to be asked. Drafting and development go hand in hand.

Yamamoto has scored 20 goals once in his career. By this measure Sharengovich is also a 20 goal scorer because he scored 20 goals once in his career.

Jordan Eberle was drafted around the same pick that Yamomoto was, so it's always possible to get a really good player with that pick. The Oilers got nothing for him. Hope they use the cap space well.

I’m talking purely from the Oilers perspective - not if Yamo is a NHLer or not.

Bottom line is we have absolutely zero to show for his first round draft pick. You can’t put nothing in the bank.
Eventually the excuses for the Oilers drafting and development will end. Puljujaarvi at least fetched something based on his pedigree but at the end of the day that's two first round picks in a row that have amounted to zilch for this team.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

That wasn't a strong draft class, go look at the pick after Yam. Outside of Oettinger, it took a pile of picks to land on a good player.

I remember people saying Yam would have been a top 10 player if he had size.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’m not sad about losing Yamo but Kostin is a player imo. He’s gonna be a consistent 20 goal scorer that fights, wins fights, has a fire inside him. Too bad. If we had room I’d give him 2mx3-4 years

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’m not sad about losing Yamo but Kostin is a player imo. He’s gonna be a consistent 20 goal scorer that fights, wins fights, has a fire inside him. Too bad. If we had room I’d give him 2mx3-4 years
There's not that much to suggest this. He shot at 19.6% last year, unless you believe he's going to keep that up, he's probably not going to hit 20 goals.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
There's not that much to suggest this. He shot at 19.6% last year, unless you believe he's going to keep that up, he's probably not going to hit 20 goals.
I just see an elite shot on a tough kid with a good head on his shoulders. I’m not saying he’s going to be a star but he’ll have a solid nhl career. We’ll see.

Edit: he didn’t get enough of a look for the contract I suggested. Ideally he would have stayed for one more season and then we extend but he couldn’t wait. Oh well, look forward to lighting up the Wings.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I just see an elite shot on a tough kid with a good head on his shoulders. I’m not saying he’s going to be a star but he’ll have a solid nhl career. We’ll see.

Edit: he didn’t get enough of a look for the contract I suggested. Ideally he would have stayed for one more season and then we extend but he couldn’t wait. Oh well, look forward to lighting up the Wings.
He has a good shot and is tough for sure. He doesn't seem to have a complete game.

I'm not happy he's gone, but people are really treating him like he's something he is not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Cleveland and now Denver off the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad