Draft Re-entrys

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I was wondering which CHL players from the 2002 NHL draft are likely not going to sign a contract by June 1st and will be going back into the 2004 draft?(particularly any first rounders from 2002)

Also what is the rule on whether a CHL player not signed by June 1st can become a free agent and sign with anyone or re-enter the draft instead?

Thanks in advance. :)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Umberger would be a UFA as a college player.

There won't be any from the Penguins. Only two players must be signed, Maxime Talbot and Erik Christensen.

Talbot will almost certainly be the Penguins top priority in the off-season. Christensen is a coin-flip about being signed, but he would be a free agent and not go back into the draft.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
2002 Draftees the Blackhawks haven't signed

6th rd - 188th overall
D Kevin Kantee ... European, so he doesn't have to sign yet.
7th rd - 219th overall
G Tyson Kellerman ... unlikely to be signed with all the other young goalies in CHI.
8th rd - 251st overall
R Jason Kostadine ... I have no idea what happened to Kostadine. I don't think he even played in 2003-04.
9th rd - 282nd overall
R Adam Burish ... just finished his sophomore season Univ of Wisconsin, doesn't have to be signed yet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For the Habs, Michael Lambert (PEI Rocket) and Andre Deveaux (Owen Sound) have yet to be signed. No word if they will be or not.

June 1st is 4 weeks away from today, it will be interesting to see who gets signed and who doesn't. I would guess that Johansson would be one of the top players still not signed, at least he would interest me the most.

leafaholix*

The Leafs have 2... Todd Ford (WHL) and Dominic D'Amour (QMJHL).

It doesn't look like they'll sign Ford. He's done nothing since being draft.

I expect them to sign D'Amour, he had a breakout season.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Who the Sabres need to sign.

1st round: Dan Paille: I'd say he's probably priority #1 ahead of Vanek. Virtual lock he's signed unless he has amazingly outrageous contract demands.

3rd round: Michael Tessier: I don't know much about how he's progressed but from what I understand he hasn't improved a lot. The Sabres don't often sign players that don't show marked improvement but Tessier does have some decent size and speed to him. I'd put it as 50-50 he's signed.

4th round: Marty Magers: OHL disaster who went back to the USHL. About as minimal a chance of being signed as you can possibly get.

8th round: Dennis Wideman: Very strong overage year who is right handed (lacking in the system) and has some offensive skill (also fairly lacking). From what I understand he's decently gritty with fairly good leadership skills. I'd put the odds at about 75-25 he's signed to an entry level contract.

9th round: Martin Cizek: CSS had him rated fairly highly but from what I understand he struggled last year in the OHL and he played in Europe this year. Chances remote he's signed, IMO.

The remainder of the draft is either collegians (John Adams) or Europeans (Maxim Schevjev, Jakub Hulva) who don't need to be signed. The only player from this draft class that has been signed was overaged Slovakian defenseman Radoslav Hecl who split with Buffalo and Rochester last season. He was in Europe this year.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Ruckus007 said:
Who the Sabres need to sign.

1st round: Dan Paille: I'd say he's probably priority #1 ahead of Vanek. Virtual lock he's signed unless he has amazingly outrageous contract demands.

Yeah I was wondering if he was signed yet. Sabres definetly need to get this guy signed!!!

Do you think he will see time in the NHL next year?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The other CHL player I was unsure of from the 2002 1st round is Cam Ward...did he sign a contract awhile ago and I just missed it?? sorry if thats the case. :)

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
McDonald19 said:
Yeah I was wondering if he was signed yet. Sabres definetly need to get this guy signed!!!

Do you think he will see time in the NHL next year?

If there's an NHL season I'd say almost certainly. He may start out in the AHL but be pulling a regular shift by the end of the year a la Derek Roy.

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
Ruckus007 said:
The remainder of the draft is either collegians (John Adams) or Europeans (Maxim Schevjev, Jakub Hulva) who don't need to be signed. The only player from this draft class that has been signed was overaged Slovakian defenseman Radoslav Hecl who split with Buffalo and Rochester last season. He was in Europe this year.

Hecl was on the NHL's Free Agent List that was published last Jul 1st as an unrestricted free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia