Dec 18, 2005
Leafs Select 158th - Nolan Vesey

Nolan Vesey USA

Birthyear: 1995-03-28 Birthplace: North Reading, MA, USA Google maps link
Position: LW Shoots: L
Height: 183 cm / 6'0" Weight: 79 kg / 174 lbs
Drafted: 2014 round 6 #158 overall by Toronto Maple Leafs

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=248373

His brother Jimmy is the leading scorer on Harvard, too bad we couldn't have gotten him from Nashville, considered a top prospect.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
top goal scorer in College Hockey with 32 goals.

hopefully he's got some of that hayes brotherly bond going that had the one we drafted bolting to Chicago to join his brother lol. I'd be extremely happy if we were able to get him he's had an amazing season at Harvard.

Completelybroke

Mar 22, 2015
We should lean more towards a RW pick with size. Our average RW talent is pretty weak, and the general size is probably 5'10. That's a tad of a concern. But what ever pick is best option is fine too.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
We should lean more towards a RW pick with size. Our average RW talent is pretty weak, and the general size is probably 5'10. That's a tad of a concern. But what ever pick is best option is fine too.

Last time they went to address that we got Tyler Biggs. I'm ok with drafting for size but we really can't afford to be that choosey. Skill over everythign else. Its not like any of those forwards outside Brown have a shot at the NHL anyway. Maybe Biggs, he's been almost ppg since he was demoted to the ECHL.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
And also drafted with our 2012 3rd round pick :shakehead

Nolan has had a better first year in college than Jimmy had. With the leafs luck Nolan will refuse to sign with the leafs and go the free agent route

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Who owns Vesey's CHL rights? He's had a rough start to the season, have to think he's at least considering a switch with Bracco starting excel.

Don't get how a young player could drop in production so dramatically

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Who owns Vesey's CHL rights? He's had a rough start to the season, have to think he's at least considering a switch with Bracco starting excel.

Definitely a very slow start considering his play last year. The team in general looks horrible.

I don't think he was drafted into the CHL.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
hopefully he's got some of that hayes brotherly bond going that had the one we drafted bolting to Chicago to join his brother lol. I'd be extremely happy if we were able to get him he's had an amazing season at Harvard.

His Dad scouts for the Leafs, maybe we got a shot.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I doubt any CHL team would want him anyway. He's 20 years old, I can't see a CHL team trading away an overage player to make room for him.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

There were rumours of him signing with Saint John in the QMJHL last year, but I guess that never came together.

His Maine team is the bottom of the pack in goal production 1.1 GPG. Not a good situation.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I would wait until we open up some space on the Marlies and sign him to an ELC. It's one thing to let a guy develop in the NCAA and get better, but I think Maine is doing more harm than good to him right now. Plus, the best talent they are getting next year is Chase Pearson (5th round pick in 2015 to Detroit, PPG in the USHL), Patrick Shea (7th round pick in 2015 to Florida, PPG+ for a US high school last year), Patrick Holway (6th round pick in 2015 to Detroit, big defensive defenseman), and Simon Butala (2016 draft eligible whom may squeak into the late rounds)... It's not like the team will get much better talent wise next year.

At least on the Marlies he may be able to replace one of Frattin, Leivo, Carrick, Panik, Clune, Arcobello, Bailey, etc. once the organizational purge occurs up to the deadline. He could probably replace Casey Bailey's contributions.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I would wait until we open up some space on the Marlies and sign him to an ELC. It's one thing to let a guy develop in the NCAA and get better, but I think Maine is doing more harm than good to him right now. Plus, the best talent they are getting next year is Chase Pearson (5th round pick in 2015 to Detroit, PPG in the USHL), Patrick Shea (7th round pick in 2015 to Florida, PPG+ for a US high school last year), Patrick Holway (6th round pick in 2015 to Detroit, big defensive defenseman), and Simon Butala (2016 draft eligible whom may squeak into the late rounds)... It's not like the team will get much better talent wise next year.

At least on the Marlies he may be able to replace one of Frattin, Leivo, Carrick, Panik, Clune, Arcobello, Bailey, etc. once the organizational purge occurs up to the deadline. He could probably replace Casey Bailey's contributions.

Bailey has 6 points in only 9 games & a 4 game point streak with 2 goals & 2 assists in his last 4 games. Based on PPG he is 5th amongst forwards & 6th overall on the team.

Vesey might have to look at the ECHL as a starting point if he leaves Maine.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Bailey has 6 points in only 9 games & a 4 game point streak with 2 goals & 2 assists in his last 4 games. Based on PPG he is 5th amongst forwards & 6th overall on the team.

Vesey might have to look at the ECHL as a starting point if he leaves Maine.

I think he's referring to when the Leafs are beginning to trade off the NHL players, AHL players are either promoted or traded also, we could then add Vesey on a ELC, much like a college free agent.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I think he's referring to when the Leafs are beginning to trade off the NHL players, AHL players are either promoted or traded also, we could then add Vesey on a ELC, much like a college free agent.

Well he did state that he could probably replace Bailey's contributions but Bailey presently sits 5th among forwards, so I think his statement would be a bit optimistic especially considering Vesey's contributions so far with Maine.

There is also a back log of players on the Marlies, if the Leafs do start making room & Marlies are called up & spots open up on the Marlies, Leafs will probably target college free agents to bring to the Marlies, not someone that they already have tied up as a draft choice. Vesey had a pretty good year with Maine last year but he hasn't earned anything this year. What Leafgeek said above is true.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
As it stands right now, Nolan wasn't drafted to any CHL team.

I don't know how common it is to see players go from the NCAA to a random CHL team without ever being drafted.

If he thought that the NCAA wasn't the right move, then he could go to the USHL and play for Dubuque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad