GDT: Draft Lottery 5/8/2023 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I liked this quote from Sean McIndoe's draft power rankings article today, in the section for "Get your tinfooil hat ready" rankings (he also did "most deserving" and "maximum chaos" as well as a few others): "Not ranked: Columbus Blue Jackets — It’s going to be so funny when they win and Bettman has to pretend to be happy for them."
Bettman will rig it for us to show the conspiracy theorists that it’s not rigged. 4D chess.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I liked this quote from Sean McIndoe's draft power rankings article today, in the section for "Get your tinfooil hat ready" rankings (he also did "most deserving" and "maximum chaos" as well as a few others): "Not ranked: Columbus Blue Jackets — It’s going to be so funny when they win and Bettman has to pretend to be happy for them."
I won't lie, on the very small chance they actually win the draft lottery, the salt from certain segments of the hockey media and hockey fans will be amazing. The reaction from buccigross will be amazing to.

Reactions: CBJx614

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
What do people see in Carlsson that puts him clearly ahead of someone like Lundell as a prospect?

I haven't seen Carlsson play in person, but I have been following him this year.

Carlsson is bigger than Lundell at 6'3 now. He might be closer to 6'4. He's a big kid.

His goals aren't coming from a tremendous shot from the outside. In fact, adding power to his shot is something he needs to work on. He's got tremendously soft hands and the ability to score goals in close. He's in the right place to score and plays a very methodical game. His ability to read defenses, respond and get the puck to the right place is what is elite, not his shot.

His game translates far more to the NHL than some junior or NCAA players since they need to learn the skills he already has.

It's also difficult to compare stats from SHL or Liiga teams since how much they play younger players depends on a lot of factors involving how much ice time kids get - just like how much young players can play in the NHL.

There's considerable room for improvement in Carlsson's game so he has a tremendous upside- but that's not areas that he needs to fix. If he grows into his body, plays more physically and works on adding power to his shot, that could result in a very very good NHL player.

I'll also point out that it was Carlsson's performance in the SHL playoffs that has solidified his place as a top 2023 pick. Only the Sedin twins have scored more playoff points than Carlsson in their draft year. Carlsson was 7th in scoring in the whole SHL for the playoffs.

Örebro ended up losing their semifinal series to Skellefteå, but they won the first game and Carlsson had a goal and an assist. Carlsson is #91 in white & red in the video below. (Former Jacket Joakim Lindström is #10 in black)

So, whoever gets Carlsson is going to get a tremendous player and he makes the players on his line better.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Man.. how do you recondition your mind to be optimistic , when nearly every time the cbj have the worst luck imaginable . I want to be optimistic .. not even sure I will be able to watch
No way man, you have to watch this. That's the fun of it. Pins and needles for sure.

Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you see more overall value in him than in Willander?

I've made very similar notes from a couple game tapes and that scouting video. Always chases hard and isn't afraid to use his body to push people to create turnovers. Puck management seemed to be the biggest weakness, which was kind of surprising because he doesn't have awful hands for a "checking line winger". Pretty effective at stealing pucks but once he gets it doesn't seem to know how to protect and what to do with it. His passing was particularly bad in the semis vs USA.

There's definitely potential with his tools. He could be a type of prospect who would benefit a lot by working with a skills coach like McCudden. Someone who could teach him how to pick up pucks off the wall and to buy time on cycle plays, and just make right, simple decisions in general to serve as a reliable bottom-6 forward.

Based on that tweet someone posted here, CBJ, NYR, NJ and FLA were talking to him/expressing interest at the tournament. Assuming none of CBJ picks in rounds 2-7 are traded, in which round would you be comfortable drafting him?

As of now I have Willander 10th on my list, Simashev 12th, and Pekarcik somewhere in the 20s. So I would take Pekarcik with pick #34 but there's probably a player or two I like even more that will be there.

Reactions: tunnelvision

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Of course we're going to lose tonight. It's what we do. We're losers. If there was a contest to pick the NHL's biggest losers, we'd come in second place.

I mean, even when it was our job to suck, we couldn't do it. We suck at sucking, even.

I did a search for it, and couldn't find it, which was a shame, because it was my all-time favorite way of summing the CBJ up. But there was an article on NBC Sports' website well over a decade ago that described Columbus as "hockey's hapless version of District 12."

• Haha
Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Blues fan dropping by to wish y'all luck. You guys really are most deserving of Bedard. You have supported your team and not yet been rewarded. Hopefully tonight is the start of better days for your franchise and fanbase.
Since you’re so nice I hope the Blues get 2nd if we get Bedard

Reactions: VT and Blueston

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Man.. how do you recondition your mind to be optimistic , when nearly every time the cbj have the worst luck imaginable . I want to be optimistic .. not even sure I will be able to watch
My usual approach is to expect a substandard outcome, make plans as to how to address that outcome and ensure it'll still go well in spite of being substandard, and then be pleasantly surprised when things go better than expected. So, basically, it's pessimism w/r/t the luck-based stuff but optimisim w/r/t how we react to the bad luck. And take brief breaks from being around other people when I'm depressed enough that all I can see is negativity everywhere.

It's worked well enough to get me labelled Captain Of The Sunshine Police, so. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad