draft eligibles this coming off season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Ok, i know "off season" is a bit of a misnomer, but i am curious as to what is going to happen to all the 17 year old playing in juniors and the college guys who are set to be top picks in the draft this summer. What will the circumstances surrounding this? Will there be a draft? Will they legally be able to hold one without a CBA in place? Who will sue who if there isn't a draft and what grounds will they be able to cite in the process?

I have heard that major junior players will still be under contract with thier clubs next year, the only "out" being that they are drafted and signed by an NHL team. Will the prospects be put back into the pool for the following year? Can the go to europe? can they play in some of the minor leagues? Is the 20 year old age limit still going to be recognized in the AHL? the AHL and NHL operate under different players unions, so could the AHL be an option? Will they become undrafted free agents? Who can answer my curiosities? perhaps an agent mught have some insights?

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
scotiahockey said:
Ok, i know "off season" is a bit of a misnomer, but i am curious as to what is going to happen to all the 17 year old playing in juniors and the college guys who are set to be top picks in the draft this summer. What will the circumstances surrounding this? Will there be a draft? Will they legally be able to hold one without a CBA in place? Who will sue who if there isn't a draft and what grounds will they be able to cite in the process?

I have heard that major junior players will still be under contract with thier clubs next year, the only "out" being that they are drafted and signed by an NHL team. Will the prospects be put back into the pool for the following year? Can the go to europe? can they play in some of the minor leagues? Is the 20 year old age limit still going to be recognized in the AHL? the AHL and NHL operate under different players unions, so could the AHL be an option? Will they become undrafted free agents? Who can answer my curiosities? perhaps an agent mught have some insights?

There were rumors floated around the NHL and NHLPA were going to work on a draft agreement if the season was canceled but to my knowledge nothing was officially done and now with all that happened this weekend, I've got a weird feeling nothing will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad