Draft Day Scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
So, say the Leafs lose the draft and end up with the 4th or 5th pick.
What are some scenarios for trading up or trading down?

Yes, I know this rarely happens, but I believe that there are 3 teams this year that may have, at the very least, a conversation with the Leafs about it. Even last year, there was that infamous Columbus conversation that, actually, almost materialized.

Some potential scenarios:

Leafs Trade Up

Edmonton wins 2nd or 3rd pick (I can’t see them giving up Matthews)
They need a D. Will they be willing to trade down for Chychrun? What would the Leafs offer?

Montreal wins 2nd or 3rd pick(I can’t see them giving up Matthews)
They like their French players. Would they prefer Dubois over the Finns? Maybe. What would the Leafs offer?

Now say they win a lottery pick.

Leafs Trade Down

Leafs win 1st.

This one has been debated a lot around here, but there’s always the Arizona wanting Matthews scenario. Funny enough, Coyotes are really starting to suck as of late and their pick is getting better and better. It’s still a little bit intriguing.

Any other scenarios?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There are dozens of possible scenarios, but the most likely one is the Leafs draft in the position they are slotted in after the lottery.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If the Leafs end up with the 4 pick, then Calgary will have quite possibly ended up with 2nd or 3rd.

Burke will want to draft Tkachuk over the two Finns.

So we trade up 1-2 spots with Burke and hopefully get Laine.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
If the Leafs end up with the 4 pick, then Calgary will have quite possibly ended up with 2nd or 3rd.

Do you think this would happen based on Burke's love of North Americans? Hmmmm. Interesting.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Trade up to top 11/12 with Pittsburgh"s pick should be a priority. Into Juolevi territory ;)

Krylian

Jul 25, 2007

What evidence is there that Burke would pass on the Fins? Burke's the one that coordinated his draft so he could land both of the Sedin's. I think Burke wanting to pass on the Fins is wishful thinking at best.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unless someone offers them #1 at a fair price, they will draft where they land if top 4.
Outside of that I could see them moving back and taking a defenseman.

a) Burkes not the GM
b) no reason at all to think that's the case

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Do you think this would happen based on Burke's love of North Americans? Hmmmm. Interesting.

Tkachuk is Burke's wet dream. An american power forward with skill, grit and pugnacity and an outstanding pedigree.

On the other hand, we have the two Finns. With the exception of the Sedins, Burke never uses his first round picks on Euros (or his 2nd or 3rd round picks, for that matter).

Now Burke isn't stupid; he'll absolutely try to extract value in such a trade...but I can bet anything that given the choice, unless we ignore history, he prefers Tkachuk.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Someone mentions the Leafs need Dman. You could argue that the best 8 NHL prospects are forwards.
I would suggest that the Leaf take the best NHL prospect.
Approximate order.....Matthews, Laine, Popo, Tzachuk, Nylander, Deblois, McLeod.

Chychun, certainly I wouldn't trade up to get this guy. There are plenty of Dmen available in the top 20 who are very close in prospect range.

If the Leafs win the lottery, are the Coyotes close enough to the top draft to get a deal done with the Leafs. I'm sure the Coyotes and NHL would want the Coyotes to have their hometown guy on board next season.
Matthews for Nylander and Domi?

Someone mentioned "Burke isn't stupid." Maybe so, he seems to get enough high paying jobs in the NHL. But to run an NHL franchise? Yep, you see what he has done to the Leafs and Flames.
Might be one of the worse evaluators of talent in the NHL (yes I know he the president of the Flames not GM).

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
i could easily see Juolevi being a slider on draft day...I covet him a lot. Would love him in blue and white.

If he slides to minnys pick maybe we do JVR+Percy for Brodin+pick+Vanek...

Just my little dream lol

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
it would be cool to trade down with our #4OA to lets say 7-10 + 20-30, then trade up with 20-30 + 15-25 to 7-10 again

id take 2 of #7-10 over 1 #4

wpg, ari, car could all have picks in those ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad