NHL Entry Draft Draft Day Media

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Athletic:

Scott Wheeler:

Stutzle wasn’t my third-ranked prospect at any point this season, but he was in the conversation for most of it, so it’s hard to knock the choice. Most scouts believe he was the right choice for the Senators at No. 3. Do I have worries about his ability to slow the game down like his peers near the top of the draft, or to read the play like some of them, or to finish off the plays he so often starts? Sure. But he’s also the best skater in the draft, he’s going to be a dynamic transition threat, and his hands can keep up with his feet.

I have to be honest, though: I don’t love the Sanderson pick. I said it leading into the draft and I’ll say it again: The Senators had an opportunity to re-shape their first line with two forwards at the top of this draft. Brady Tkachuk and Drake Batherson are great pieces. So are Shane Pinto Josh Norris, Alex Formenton and the rest. But the difference between prospects like Perfetti and Rossi and those names is a heck of a lot wider than the one between Sanderson and what the Senators already have coming in Thomas Chabot, Erik Brannstrom, Lassi Thomson, and Jacob Bernard-Docker. Sanderson is a fabulous prospect and became my No. 2 D prospect in the draft by a decent margin as the year progressed. He defends a well as any player in the draft, he’s an excellent skater, especially in straight lines, he’s got the physical tools, he’s a late birthday, and his gaps are tight and calculated. All of those things should translate. But his offensive package inside the o-zone blue line does have some holes and if it doesn’t take giant leaps, the Senators could regret not taking one

Though Greig grew on me this summer, after a season of debating him with people who believed he was a first rounder when I didn’t, his ability to forecheck, win battles, and play a thorny style took on a little too much value in the evaluation of his game, which I believe tops out as a mQU/Qiddle-six checker with just enough talent to contribute. I saw some real flashes of more upside, but it just wasn’t there consistently enough for me. It feels like a safe pick for an organization that already has a ton of prospects who fit neatly into middle-of-the-roster competitions.

I think the Senators could regret their last two picks, even if they make it (which they both well could) because better players were taken after them.

NHL Draft winners and losers: Ranking every team's first round

Hailey Salivan:

The early reviews of Dorion’s night didn’t take long to come in and, much like Dorion’s own assessment, they were overwhelmingly positive. One NHL scout told The Athletic’s Corey Pronman that the Senators “had a great Day 1.” Sportsnet’s Brian Burke gave Dorion the “first star” of the night. And guest analyst Mike Futa said Dorion “knocked it out of the park.”

Draft analysis and reaction: How Round 1 haul will shape the Senators’ future

Reactions: variable26

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Idk about that (how much is Trebek really going to draw in new fans?) but i do know it was awesome.

Not sure it has an impact for new fans but it does attach the Sens to something most everyone thought was cool. I think Sens fans enjoyed it and NHL fans in general did too.

Almost all the news about the Sens is negative, so it was refreshing to have the Sens be involved with something fun and positive. Good piece of marketing and a nice start to better days (I hope).

Reactions: Senscore and NyQuil

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Interesting take from Wheeler.

I certainly get an argument based on the difference between the sens high end offensive prospects and the available players and the sens high end defensive prospects and Sanderson. That said I’d argue that the sens defense prospects don’t include an elite defender with size capable of shutting down opposing stars. We’ve also seen how much an elite transition defender elevates the offensive production of the entire team. The sens could have high level transition defenders on the ice the entire game with this pick up.

You also have to add that the sens are building a team that is hard to play against top to bottom, and self starters with high character. From what I’ve read, aside from Rossi arguably, Sanderson is the player who best fits that style.

I was on board with two forwards but there are significant benefits to taking Sanderson there. Rumour is the sens list had him at 4, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Idk about that (how much is Trebek really going to draw in new fans?) but i do know it was awesome.

Seeing how the third overall NHL draft pick has been reported on pretty much everywhere and it's a fun feel good story it was a great move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad