Draft day: Lecavalier vs. Thornton

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Let's say somehow both players were drafted the same year and with their last respective years of junior which was would you have taken?

Lecavalier - 58games-44g-71a-115 points
Thornton - 51games-41g-81a-122 points

Both represented Canada at the WJC those years. Thornton won Gold while Lecavalier was part of the worst Canadian team in history. I can remember the talk of Lecavalier leading up to 1998, he was clearly head and shoulders above the rest although Legwand pushed him a bit at the end. Thornton was drawing Ron Francis comparisons and was a sure bet to be a superstar. Who was more valuable during their last years of junior?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
But who was to be the Micahel Jordan of Hockey? :biglaugh:

I can remember most draft hype going back to about 1987. But I certainly was not following it really closely.. nor am I some kind of expert. But I think Lecavalier would have gone before Thronton did. But it would have been close. Both had huge size... both were clearly, I think, better prospects than their junior numbers suggested.

Reflecting on that Lecavalier draft.... their are still likely many teams kicking themselves for not taking a Flyers on Brad Richards in the second round. He had pretty much as good a draft year as his linemate Lecavalier but he didn't have the size or ooze talent in the same way..... To me Tampa drafting Vinnie's linemate was a great, great decision....

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah that shocked me back then. He wasnt picked until what 64th overall? That's insane. And Nik Antropov was picked 10th, wow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad