Salary Cap: Dr StrangeDubas: “Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than 10-20 more goals against, tops.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
“Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than 10-20 more goals against, tops. Uh, depending on the Karlsson.”

WeakGlamorousAnophelesmosquito-size_restricted.gif

Also, for this upcoming season, all salary cap thread titles will be Dr Strangelove related. :P

Continue:

giphy.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Gonna point out that Rem Pitlick can be hidden entirely in the AHL. You want to go spend 1m on another guy, get under the cap, and tell Pitlick he's playing in the AHL, you can.

Man, if Ty Smith could hit his stride on that third pairing this year, we could have three really good puck movers on each pairing. That’d increase depth scoring.

One thing we can all agree on is the entertainment factor took a big step up today.
That's what we should care about most at this stage IMO, if we're being realistic about our chances.

I kinda want Pitlick to play. He scores so well relative to usage.
That 18.5% shooting...we could use that kinda luck.

65 days until the season right? Let's gooo

I want to play Pitlick but this is a good point. You could sign Suter for $1 million a year, send Pitlick to the AHL as depth (or keep him up until Guentzel gets back) and you go from $80k over the cap to $20k under the cap.

1M for Pius Suter or a vet C so Carter can sit please and thank you

The only hole I still see is a true scoring 3C

With how Dubas is cooking I wonder if he could turn Pitlick + into someone like Boyd

At the very least, Pitlick is a good pickup for WBS.

Still hope Carter develops Havana Syndrome so he can be LTIRetired and the Pens can snag somebody like Tatar and Suter on the cheap. Not looking likely though.

Somebody mentioned that a few days ago and if Dubas planned it, that'd be hilarious. :laugh:

Pitlick's scoring is super intriguing.

Pitlick's awful playdriving stats are the opposite.

I dunno if you can fix the latter but I'm okay with them acting in a way where they're not expecting it. Going to be a big competition for those last few spots but as long as FSG are willing to pay for it and players are to sign, there can always be more.

Two tangential thoughts:

Pettersson is a huge beneficiary and going to have a monster, cup-winning Dumoulin type season

They're going to absolutely rack up 3 on 3 wins, hard to believe they could lose in OT in the regular season

I like that Pitlick adds speed. Should make a good 4th liner.

Seeing Eller and Carter as our 3C/4C after adding EK65 hurts my eyes.

Wait until sully puts carter out for the ot opening face off

I imagine our 3C is Eller. Our 4C isn’t going to be Carter IMO.

Today is a day for only positive thoughts, ignoring all negativity

Hoping for some extra depth signings but otherwise pretty happy with how the team looks. Ned as backup feels a bit risky so signing someone like Stalock would be nice. Nosek/Motte as additional bottom-6 options

So, not to get all greedy, and my EKrection has barely subsided, but what other roster flexibility do we have right now.

Does Jake's LTIRing mean that we can now hunt the UFA bargain bin? Ethan Bear for D depth? Throw something at vet guys like Stastny or Tatar? "Prove it" deals for Comtois or Sutuer?

And now he can now learn to improve his game from two of the absolute best.

In theory a few players can be sent to WBS if there's someone available they want (Nieto, Pitlick, Nylander) but the signing would have to be <1M

Guentzel isn't expected to be out for lots of time. I don't think the team are going to take a direction that puts them in trouble when he's back.

Actually, now I think about it, I wouldn't be be surprised if they don't LTIR him at all. It stops them from being able to accrue cap after all, and they don't necessarily have to do it.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Let's go Karlsson!

.Granlund Petry and DeSmith in one trade....awesome. [Not gonna gloat about having a somewhat similar trade posted for months...because it wasn't this complex.] I also was a pretty big Ruutta critic so that's a positive to me but understand the value seeming lost on folks. Good freaking job on Dubas on getting this done. Well done.

I think we can all agree that things should be cool going forward. Is it a powerhouse team on paper in 2024 and beyond? Whatever...should be fun and it's certainly a cool one. I'll save the obvious critiques on this roster for another day. For now I'm excited to tune in (and perhaps tune out those areas).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think their lineup to start will probably be:

Pitlick-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Johnsson-Eller-Acciari
O'Connor-Carter-Nieto
Hinostroza-Zohorna

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
POJ-Ruhwedel
Smith

Jarry-Nedjelkovic

Once Guentzel gets back, you'll see Johnsson and Zohorna demoted and Pitlick put on L3. Or if Johnsson is doing well to stick, you could see Pitlick sent to WBS and definitely become cap compliant.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think their lineup to start will probably be:

Pitlick-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Johnsson-Eller-Acciari
O'Connor-Carter-Nieto
Hinostroza-Zohorna

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
POJ-Ruhwedel
Smith

Jarry-Nedjelkovic

Once Guentzel gets back, you'll see Johnsson and Zohorna demoted and Pitlick put on L3.

Pitlick isnt going top line and Smith should be in over Ruh. I also think Nylander will up over Johnsson

Smith-Crosby-Rakell
O'Connor-Malkin-Rust
Pitlick-Eller-Nylander
Neito-Acciari-Carter
Hinostroza-Johnsson

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
POJ-Smith
Ruh

Jarry-Nedjelkovic

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
Most importantly Penguins add another name to my personal Stars, Don't Care If It Was Just For a Cup of Coffee Or That They All Didn't Have Any Impact It Still Counts Shut Up, Who Played for the Pittsburgh Penguins Wall of Fame

The amount of names that have played for this team is stupid lol.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pitlick isnt going top line and Smith should be in over Ruh. I also think Nylander will up over Johnsson

Smith-Crosby-Rakell
O'Connor-Malkin-Rust
Pitlick-Eller-Nylander
Neito-Acciari-Carter
Hinostroza-Johnsson

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
POJ-Smith
Ruh

Jarry-Nedjelkovic

I disagree with all 3 of these.

1. Smith's skillset is redundant with POJ, they don't complement each other well. Ruhwedel brings a calm defensive presence that POJ (and Smith, for that matter) need. Smith's role on the team is an extra defenseman that subs into the top-4 with a Letang or Karlsson injury.
2. They're not going to play O'Connor over Pitlick, Pitlick has shown to be a productive NHLer in the past (37 points in 66 games in 2021-2022).
3. Johnsson was a Dubas addition and I think he'd much rather keep him up than Nylander, who wasn't a Dubas addition.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It’s funny but with Granlund out I think we kinda need to keep Carter..

He’s probably our best goal scorer in the bottom six.
Honestly if he plays like 11 minutes a night and chips in some offense, I don't hate him in the bottom six.

He just can't be relied on to be our shut down guy. He should be a guy that gets cushy matchups against other team's 4th lines and just finds a way to score some goals. And takes the odd important draw.

That's it. If Sully uses him that way, he might find value.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I disagree with all 3 of these.

1. Smith's skillset is redundant with POJ, they don't complement each other well. Ruhwedel brings a calm defensive presence that POJ (and Smith, for that matter) need. Smith's role on the team is an extra defenseman that subs into the top-4 with a Letang or Karlsson injury.
2. They're not going to play O'Connor over Pitlick, Pitlick has shown to be a productive NHLer in the past (37 points in 66 games in 2021-2022).
3. Johnsson was a Dubas addition and I think he'd much rather keep him up than Nylander, who wasn't a Dubas addition.

1. Smith is not redundant with POJ. Smith is a much better offensive player and you can shift POJ into a support role. I argue POJ was asked to handel the transition only because his partners were terrible. (Rutta and Ruh). Also you play the better player. Ruh sucks
2. Sullivan always sticks with his guys first. he also loves USA players. O'Connor will get a chance over Pitlick hands down.
3. Nylander was signed by Sullivan pretty much because Dubas wasnt there. Nylander is younger and just because he was signed before Dubas doesn't mean he wouldn't be a dubas guy.

Anyway they will compete in camp and the one who shines will play

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
1. Smith is not redundant with POJ. Smith is a much better offensive player and you can shift POJ into a support role. I argue POJ was asked to handel the transition only because his partners were terrible. (Rutta and Ruh). Also you play the better player. Ruh sucks

Transition and offence are POJ's only major skills though. He has been an adventure defensively. I really don't think he's a good support player unless he takes a few steps. Tbh, this is a place where I'd quite like them to make a signing.

Anyway they will compete in camp and the one who shines will play

This is true. Predicting the forward thunderdome winners right now is pretty difficult.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't see this at all. POJ's main strengths are his puck carrying and passing. Those are very similar things that Smith brings. POJ isn't good defensively at all.

I wouldn't mind adding a defenseman with size to push Ruhwedel out of the lineup, but Smith and POJ are not good partners for each other.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Transition and offence are POJ's only major skills though. He has been an adventure defensively. I really don't think he's a good support player unless he takes a few steps. Tbh, this is a place where I'd quite like them to make a signing.

This is true. Predicting the forward thunderdome winners right now is pretty difficult.

POJ just turned 24. He is coming into his prime. Last year was his rookie season. I think he will turned into a nice two-way dman. His speed helps him recover as well. I think he can use his speed to help cover for Smith. I also think asking him to do less with the puck will help him.

The have a million forwards signed for under 1mil. They will fight for spots. I cant remember the last time they had so much competition at camp.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think you'd have to do a trade rather than a signing. I don't think the team will put Ruhwedel on waivers.

I struggle to think of a trade partner there that might make sense, though.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don't see this at all. POJ's main strengths are his puck carrying and passing. Those are very similar things that Smith brings. POJ isn't good defensively at all.

I wouldn't mind adding a defenseman with size to push Ruhwedel out of the lineup, but Smith and POJ are not good partners for each other.

Ehh will see. I think POJ - Smith would be fine to start. upgrade later. I wish Ruh would have been sent packing in the deal too.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The thing about Smith vs POJ is having both gives Sullivan the flexibility to move them in and out of the lineup depending on what is needed that game and who is playing well.

They both have strengths they bring and it should be theoretically good for them to compete for playing time.

I would seriously consider even playing both if Sullivan thinks one of them can play their off side. Would rather both play than Ruhwedel, but I suspect that Ruh will be starting unless Dubas has more moves up his sleeve.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
POJ just turned 24. He is coming into his prime. Last year was his rookie season. I think he will turned into a nice two-way dman. His speed helps him recover as well. I think he can use his speed to help cover for Smith. I also think asking him to do less with the puck will help him.

Fingers crossed. Last year, I thought his positioning and ability to see plays happening was ropey... but was pleasantly surprised by what he did with the puck on his stick.

I think you'd have to do a trade rather than a signing. I don't think the team will put Ruhwedel on waivers.

I struggle to think of a trade partner there that might make sense, though.

They should be willing to. I don't think he had a good year last year and we're not short on depth should he get claimed.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The fact that Dubas kept Pickering, Yager, and Poulin really is amazing. I thought we'd have to lose Poulin at least.

A part of me wonders how much better still this team would be looking right now if they'd also moved that Yager pick for something though.

But if the stated plan was to compete now and build for the future...Dubas is doing about as good a job as one could ask for with that seemingly impossible goal.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The fact that Dubas kept Pickering, Yager, and Poulin really is amazing. I thought we'd have to lose Poulin at least.

A part of me wonders how much better still this team would be looking right now if they'd also moved that Yager pick for something though.

But if the stated plan was to compete now and build for the future...Dubas is doing about as good a job as one could ask for with that seemingly impossible goal.

he did everything that should have been done last summer. Imagine if hextall was actually willing to cut fat last summer and make a splash move.

Hextall had a chance to make his mark and never really did. Dubas did it in 2 months.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not that anyone here is mad about the trade, but for anyone mad that the Penguins gave up a 1st, I think it's entirely possible the Penguins will be able to recover a 1st for Karlsson in the future after their window is closed and they are rebuilding.

No one is expecting Crosby or Malkin to play beyond the 2025-2026 season (if Crosby will even play that season) and Karlsson is under contract through the 2026-2027 season. If Karlsson can be even just a good top-4 OFD as a 36 year old in 2026-2027, I think the Penguins could get a 1st rounder for him as a rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad