The Athletic - Boston Down Goes Brown: Debating the Hall of Fame case of Brad Marchand

Is Brad Marchand a Hall of Famer?

• Total voters

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hossa is in the Hall and Marchand has a better case than him today.

Hossa only has:
2x 10th in Hart
5, 7 in Selke
1x AS-2
2x Top 10 in points

Marchand has:
5,5,9,10 in Hart
9,9 in Selke
2x AS-1, 2x AS-2
5x Top 10 in points

Reactions: BruinDust

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Love Marchand, believe he will deserve it and does get in. He's definitely gotten himself into the conversation.

Devil's advocate time:
He still has ground to make up against his peers. The queue of guys from '03 to '06 or so is daunting.

Locked in - Crosby, Malkin, Ovechin, P. Kane, Keith, Bergeron
1st two years - Kopitar, Doughty, Toews
Most likely - Fleury, E. Staal, Getzlaf, Perry, Weber, Backstrom, Price, Rask
Borderline - Kessel, Giroux, Burns, Crawford
not enough - Suter, J. Carter, Pavelski, Krejci, Parise, - etc.

4 years of drafting leading up (plus P. Kane) - so ballpark these guys being eligible around the same time. I'm sure I've forgotten a few but these will be names being bandied about.
- and you're already looking at 9 locks and another 9 that have really good resumes. (and I'm sure I've forgotten a few) -

They don't load up with four recently retired players.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
the GM with a cup? good luck seeing that again.
So why should anyone follow the Bruins if there is no hope

wasn’t Sweeney GM on 2019 Cup Finals team and 2920 Presidents Trophy

Keith Gretzky on record saying he made ALL 2015 picks yet uninformed slow Bruins fans continue to tag him for draft

a Twitter poll I did found 100% of a thousand Bruins experts didn’t know Sweeney was GM for 5 weeks coming off running Providence Bruins

also Tampa Bay was 10 points behind Bruins when pandemic hits and Tampa decimated with injuries including Hedman the eventual Playoff MVP would have missed first 2-3 rounds of playoffs

they don’t win

last year 98.1 Cap BS

complete manipulation not in spirit of game

I don’t consider Tampa Cups legit they are fraudulent

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So why should anyone follow the Bruins if there is no hope

wasn’t Sweeney GM on 2019 Cup Finals team and 2920 Presidents Trophy

Keith Gretzky on record saying he made ALL 2015 picks yet uninformed slow Bruins fans continue to tag him for draft

a Twitter poll I did found 100% of a thousand Bruins experts didn’t know Sweeney was GM for 5 weeks coming off running Providence Bruins

also Tampa Bay was 10 points behind Bruins when pandemic hits and Tampa decimated with injuries including Hedman the eventual Playoff MVP would have missed first 2-3 rounds of playoffs

they don’t win

last year 98.1 Cap BS

complete manipulation not in spirit of game

I don’t consider Tampa Cups legit they are fraudulent

Reilly Smith has had a good career and is a great playoff performer which he has proven. In an important game Im taking him over Seguin. Bruins had a good player in Smith

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
Maybe someone can post the information again: in his career as a PKer opponents have scored something like 150 times, and the Bruins have scored something like 50 times. I must be misremembering a post I saw here, certainly it would seem so because those numbers are INSANE. All-time elite. Im a sucker for the short handed goals and Marchand has been my favorite player ever since he blasted 4 shorties in 2011 (it seemed like he scored 20 that season). All of that said, he's on the edge of the Hall. You're kidding yourself if you'd take any other LW over him the past few years, but the body of work is a bit small compared to those hallowed "few".

Aside: Maybe it's my VT bias, but John LeClair should be in the HOF.

Reactions: sarge88

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
He will 100% get in, checks all of the boxes, even opposition fans who hate him and Boston acknowledge that he is a great player.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Hopefully. The problems I think that could hold Marchand back are:

1.) Stats

2.) His behavior

Now if Marchand keeps at his current pace of production, number one becomes irrelevant. Which then leads into number 2, at which point you have a situation similar to what keeps certain players out of Cooperstown for stupid reasons.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I pray he stays healthy for the Olympics because he will tear it up. Once the media sees him with a different jersey on, they'll see him in a whole new light.

I also think the better way to look at it is comparing contemporaries. Which wingers in the NHL have a better case than him?

Ovechkin
Kane
Draisaitl (eventually anyway)
I can't think of any others

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
If he keeps up the current pace for 3ish more years before a tail off then he’s probably 60-40 on a yes vote.

It’s the voters I’d be concerned with. Whole lotta hate out there for the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad