The Athletic - Boston Down Goes Brown: Debating the Hall of Fame case of Brad Marchand

Is Brad Marchand a Hall of Famer?

• Total voters

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

It’s Hall of Fame induction week, as the class of 2020 finally gets their moment in the spotlight after a year of COVID-19 delays. It’s a strong class, with Jarome Iginla, Marian Hossa, Kim St-Pierre, Doug Wilson and Kevin Lowe joining builder Ken Holland.

Great, who’s next?

Down Goes Brown: Debating the Hall of Fame cases of Brad Marchand, Eric Staal, Jason Spezza and others

Brad Marchand

Why it’s a tough one: Because whether you like him or not (and if you’re not a Bruins fan then you probably don’t), he’s been one of the best wingers in hockey for five years and counting. It’s time to start taking his case seriously.

The case for: Since flipping the switch and becoming a dominant scorer at the age of 27, Marchand has had more goals than anyone in the NHL other than Alexander Ovechkin. Playing on arguably the best line in the league, he’s been a first-team all-star twice, a second-teamer two other times, and has a pair of top-five Hart finishes and three top Selke seasons. Not only did he make Team Canada in the last best-on-best tournament, he played on the top line and scored the winning goal.

The case against: Because he didn’t emerge as an elite player until his late-20s, Marchand’s career numbers are underwhelming right now. He’s only 33, so he should have a few strong years left, but right now he’s sitting at just over 300 goals and 700 points, so he’s got a long way to go before his numbers look Hall-ish.

Worth remembering: While he’s cleaned up his act since becoming a top-line player, Marchand’s reputation as a dirty player early in his career was well-earned. That hasn’t stopped a few guys from getting into the Hall, but you wonder if anyone on the committee might be holding a grudge.

Should he get in? If he gets to 1,000 points then I think he has a real shot. I want my Hall to have guys who were in the “best at his position” conversation for multiple years, and as much as it pains a Leaf fan to admit it, Marchand has been there since 2016.

Will he get in? He probably needs three more years of elite production, and that may be asking too much. It’s starting to feel like he may end up being the cap-era version of John LeClair, a legitimate superstar for a five-year stretch who just couldn’t do it long enough to finish off a HHOF-worthy resume.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Marchand is HOF to me whether they put him in or not

it’s premature to have this discussion now

2021 age 33
2022 age 34
2023 age 35
2024 age 36
2025 age 37

he is probably with health another 400-500 points

he is trending to 1200 points and top 10 all time SHG

I won’t even debate my mind is made up but I can only go back to late 60’s and 1500-2000 live games

never seen anyone like him combination talent and prick - Ted Lindsay I did not see him but he was super skilled and less prick but tough as nails and 5 9

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He stays healthy he should complete age 33 season with 800 points - yowza

He gets 1200+ he’s top 40 all time

Claude playing Reilly Smith over him on PP to likely appease Chiarelli for the Seguin backlash cost him a bunch of points

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I can't see him winning any individual trophies so stat compiling and how long he can extend his current top 3 winger in the game status will be key.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He stays healthy he should complete age 33 season with 800 points - yowza

He gets 1200+ he’s top 40 all time

Claude playing Reilly Smith over him on PP to likely appease Chiarelli for the Seguin backlash cost him a bunch of points

the GM with a cup? good luck seeing that again.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m a “no” right now, and a “small Hall” guy in general.

I love the player, and maybe he gets there if the production continues, but I have concerns about Bergeron’s production moving forward as well as the contingency plan down the middle and that could impact production at the wings.

I have a hard time judging the legacy of this core in general, and now that the pieces are moving on, their legacy is cementing.

Yes, they won the one Cup, and one is much better than none. But overall, I come to the conclusion that this is still a “chokey” organization and it’s ultimately a fail that they didn’t win multiple Cups. And to me, that means a lot more than the individual stats.

Sorry?

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Yes, they won the one Cup, and one is much better than none. But overall, I come to the conclusion that this is still a “chokey” organization and it’s ultimately a fail that they didn’t win multiple Cups. And to me, that means a lot more than the individual stats.
1000%. Pretty big underachievers imo.

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
He definitely will.

It'll hurt when Bergeron retire but I fear it will hurt even more when Marchand will be gone.

Anyone knows a site that keep tracks of players win/loss record? Tried looking on google but couldn't find anything. Would like to know the Bruins records playing without Marchand and without Bergeron

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
i think he gets in, but won't be first ballot. it'll take him a couple years, his career numbers won't be gaudy, he won't have many individual awards,

and only 4-5 cups

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
100 percent he will get in. Easily one of the top 5 best all-around forwards in the league for quite a while now. Still is playing at a high level at 33, and will likely play for at least another half a decade. Crazy how underrated he still is. Marchy and Bergy are both locks for the HOF.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Right now no..3-5 more years at this pace Yes.

So I'm saying yes as I totally believe he will keep the pace up barring any injury.

Best all around hockey player in the game today.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If he continues at his current pace for the next 3-4 years, He's a lock.

He's been arguably one of the top 5 players in the world for the last 5 years and that in itself puts him in the conversation.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’ll do the thing that so many people hate in these discussions but if Guy Carbonneau is a Hall of Famer, Marchand is unquestionably!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad