Michael Russo: Dowell's family will be featured on ESPN:60 tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/224964322.html

There is a 50-50 chance that Dowell, 28, a Wild checker who has played 156 NHL games, has inherited the same gene. In the next year or two, Dowell plans to go with his wife, Carly, and his champion of a mother, Vicki, to have a blood test and learn what his future holds.

Holy smoke, that is some unreal stuff for Jake. Posted this up to make sure everyone watches it tomorrow. On at 6pm

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Jackets fan in peace. I just read this story and it choked me up. I can't imagine living with that potential ticking time bomb and knowing it may be just a matter of time. Watching loved ones suffer and knowing you may be next. Much respect and sympathy to Dowell and his family.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
God that has to be tough, I can't even imagine.

Worst part about Huntington's is that it gets worse from generation to generation, it starts earlier, and the symptoms are more severe.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN

Worst part about Huntington's is that it gets worse from generation to generation, it starts earlier, and the symptoms are more severe.

Which makes me hopeful that he doesn't have it, especially considering how it has affected his brother.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

That is what is weird about Jake though. He "should" have it because his brother has it. But his mom said Jake has never shown any symptoms like his dad or brother did (least in the article Russo wrote). Extremely hopeful for him. And seriously what a champ for coming forward with this....just like Harding and MS, it cannot be easy to have the spotlight on you because of a disease of this kind of magnitude.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That is what is weird about Jake though. He "should" have it because his brother has it. But his mom said Jake has never shown any symptoms like his dad or brother did (least in the article Russo wrote). Extremely hopeful for him. And seriously what a champ for coming forward with this....just like Harding and MS, it cannot be easy to have the spotlight on you because of a disease of this kind of magnitude.

Its not a should have it. Its a may have it. Each brother had a 50/50 shot of getting the gene from their dad. Unfortunatly, his brother got it. Hopefully Jake doesn't.

Jul 10, 2012
Grand Forks, ND
I worked for 2 1/2 yrs as a caregiver in one of the only 2 group homes in MN specifically catering to people with Huntington's Disease (HD). It is one of the most heart-breaking diseases to have to watch someone and their family suffer through, especially if there are biological children involved. I can't imagine being Jake and having to wonder if a slight trip or angry outburst might be a symptom. What Russo also missed is that it affects people emotionally, in that they cannot process their emotions well or at all. It's difficult to describe moderate-to-advanced stages of HD. Imagine having the knowledge of an adult but the cognitive and emotional capabilities of a 4 year old or a toddler. Folks often think Alzheimer's or other forms of late-onset dementia are difficult to watch. HD is worse. At least with Alzheimer's, the person isn't usually aware that they have it in the later stages. With HD, most people are quite aware that they are deteriorating mentally and physically. They don't typically get the complete loss of short-term memory associated with Alzheimer's and dementia, though it's not uncommon. This is why the national suicide rates for HD are around 1:7 people. It's hard to even write this without tears. Russo wrote a good article but it scratched the surface of what folks like Jake are going through. I hope and pray he escaped this horrible disease. It reminds us that these guys are just as human as the rest of us.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

His chances don't increase because his brother has it...it's sill 50/50 that he inherited it from his father. One child can have it with another not.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
A friend of mine is in the same situation and he doesn't know if he has it or not and has chosen to just live his life and not getting tested until he would be getting married (and then a family).

Thoughts and prayers with Dowell and his family.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Great piece by espn. Massive respect to Dowell, glad he's likely making the team. Someone you can truly root for.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Really hope he makes the Wild this year. This guy is a true professional. Best of luck to him and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad