Proposal: Doug Wilson as Oiler GM

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Hi fellow fans,

If San Jose decides to address the situation between Wilson and Thornton by firing their GM we might have a chance to make some front office changes. How many of you would be on board with the Oilers hiring Doug Wilson as General Manager?

I think there is a possibility that Lowe and MacT are moved to a different area of the franchise, perhaps involving the arena or corporate sponsorship.

Are there other top names for GM that might be available?

Last edited by a moderator:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, the chance of Lowe even being fired is one in a million. The old boys club jobs are as safe as secured with Katz as the owner.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yeah, the chance of Lowe even being fired is one in a million. The old boys club jobs are as safe as secured with Katz as the owner.

I agree there is almost no chance Lowe is fired. I think the only scenario we can count on is he and MacT are reassigned to other areas of the Katz group sphere of influence. This is a possibility. No one keeps their job forever especially in the NHL.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Hi fellow fans,

If San Jose decides to address the situation between Wilson and Thornton by firing their GM we might have a chance to make some front office changes. How many of you would be on board with the Oilers hiring Doug Wilson as General Manager?

I think there is a possibility that Lowe and MacT are moved to a different area of the franchise, perhaps involving the arena or corporate sponsorship.

Doug Wilson needs to shut his mouth, I wouldn't hire him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Doug Wilson needs to shut his mouth, I wouldn't hire him.

I think Doug Wilson would be an excellent GM for our team. If you really think he was out of line with Thornton what other guys would you like instead? Someone like Fenton in Nashville?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I would have to see a list of about 10 possible GM's before making any decisions. Wilson could be on the list. In any case, it ain't happening MacT is not going anywhere.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I would have to see a list of about 10 possible GM's before making any decisions. Wilson could be on the list. In any case, it ain't happening MacT is not going anywhere.

I don't know if I can come up with 10. I'll give you my best shot though:

Paul Fenton, Jason Botterill, Ryan Martin, Wilson, and the assistant in Tampa.. Brisebois (sp?).

That's the best I got.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree there is almost no chance Lowe is fired. I think the only scenario we can count on is he and MacT are reassigned to other areas of the Katz group sphere of influence. This is a possibility. No one keeps their job forever especially in the NHL.

I wouldn't be surprised, if they were "promoted" to a different area in the management just like Buchberger did. That being said, Lowe's been here and Katz supports the idiot, based on them being good friends. The fact that Lowe just gave MacT the GM spot despite him having no experience in it is such a joke. Then MacT hires an inexperienced coach in Eakins. Idiots hiring idiots.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Even if Lowe was moved to some other area of the organization and let's say for arguments sake that Wilson was hired, would anybody still believe Lowe doesn't have some kind of significant involvement in the day to day operations of the team? Everybody in the Oilers organization has spent the last 18 months trying hard to sell the idea Lowe isn't still involved yet we still see him during road games in the booth with Mactavish and hear about him being involved in scouting trips from time to time. They spoke a lot about this organization being a management team by committee when Tambellini was hired and I suspect it still is. I'm not sure you can change that dynamic by keeping all the same people around, especially when the guy supposedly in charge is an outsider. If they bring a new GM in here without outright firing, not reassigning but removing from the organization, Lowe and Mactavish then things will truly become dysfunctional.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
A big no to Doug Wilson. He has the same arrogance as the old boys club with roughly the same results. The Sharkies have really accomplished nothing, despite being a pretty respectable team for the last 10 years.

I see Brad Treliving in Calgary as a smart, humble guy. That's who the Oilers need. Just a guy who, you know, does his job.

Paul Fenton, Jason Botterill, Julien Brisbois, and Michael Futa are a few names to look at.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Even if Lowe was moved to some other area of the organization and let's say for arguments sake that Wilson was hired, would anybody still believe Lowe doesn't have some kind of significant involvement in the day to day operations of the team?

I think that hiring someone from the outside who is a former GM would stop that sort of thing from happening. Someone who isn't a friend of Lowe would bristle at the suggestion he defer player and coaching decisions. Hiring Bob Nicholson was a step in the right direction. Making him the President of Hockey operations and transitioning Lowe to the arena sport's and entertainment side of things would allow a break from the old Oiler guard. Then Bob could hire the best GM based on credentials, not nepotism. The coaching staff would follow.

Everyone saves face. Lowe and MacT get very lucrative paying jobs in the Katz group and the Oilers can begin to right its own ship. I can't see this happening any other way quite frankly.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think that hiring someone from the outside who is a former GM would stop that sort of thing from happening. Someone who isn't a friend of Lowe would bristle at the suggestion he defer player and coaching decisions. Hiring Bob Nicholson was a step in the right direction. Making him the President of Hockey operations and transitioning Lowe to the arena sport's and entertainment side of things would allow a break from the old Oiler guard. Then Bob could hire the best GM based on credentials, not nepotism. The coaching staff would follow.

Everyone saves face. Lowe and MacT get very lucrative paying jobs in the Katz group and the Oilers can begin to right its own ship. I can't see this happening any other way quite frankly.
I understand what you're saying and that might work somewhere else. I don't know how closely you follow the Oilers. I don't recognize your username so I'm not sure if the Oilers are your team or not and if you're really familiar with how things work in this organization. Lowe is as firmly entrenched in this team as anybody in the league. I think if someone else was brought in here to run things there would definitely be a power struggle and Lowe is completely surrounded by people who he had a hand in hiring and are extremely loyal to him. People that have hung on to their jobs for years where in most cases they shouldn't have. They don't out right fire many people here they just reassign them if the heat gets too intense. The new guy would be an outsider, alone on an island. He could bring in his own people too but all that accomplishes are two sides working against each other. Total dysfunction.

The entire front office needs to be cleaned out before anybody else can come in here and effectively start cleaning up this mess. Credible people like Doug Wilson and I'm sure everyone else on the list you previously mentioned are smart enough to see this. I can't see any of them interested in coming here under the current conditions. People like Pat Quinn and even the idiot Eakins have talked about being sold a 'bill of goods' by Oilers management to come here. True or not, that's going to stick in the minds of anybody offered a job with Lowe and Mactavish still around.

So far Katz has refused to do anything about these guys, this in spite of mounting evidence it needs to be done. It's gone on so long hardcore Oiler fans still don't see it happening anytime soon.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hi fellow fans,

I will be GM before Wilson is of the oilers

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A big no to Doug Wilson. He has the same arrogance as the old boys club with roughly the same results. The Sharkies have really accomplished nothing, despite being a pretty respectable team for the last 10 years.

I see Brad Treliving in Calgary as a smart, humble guy. That's who the Oilers need. Just a guy who, you know, does his job.

Paul Fenton, Jason Botterill, Julien Brisbois, and Michael Futa are a few names to look at.

Who exactly do you think is responsible for making the Sharks "pretty respectable" for the last 10 years?

Pretty respectable is literally 10 times better than what we are right now. We're in no position to be turning out noses up on a GM that had a team be a contender for the better part of a decade. Whether they won it all or not.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It's pretty amazing that people can brand the SJ Sharks as even so low as 'respectable.'

The only difference between them and a team like LA is luck. Wilson did and has done everything he could possibly do to give that team a chance to win it all.

I agree with the Shark fan consensus that they need to move on from him for the sake of change(see: Trotz), but I absolutely guarantee that he would not be out of work for long, and whoever manages to pick him up would be lucky to have him.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Lowe isn't going anywhere, which means that MacT has a lifetime job with the Oilers as well.

I miss EIG.

I think you, as well as others, are forgetting how pathetic it was around here with that group running the show.

Don't get me wrong, Katz needs to be a hella lot better at the hockey hiring end of things, but he has money and vision for certain things.

Anyways, I'd love to see someone like Doug Wilson hired here to get this organization straightened out once and for all.

Great hockey guy he is.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Why are we..................???

I would easily hire Wilson, would be the best GM this team has had since maybe ever.

But yeah, pipe dream etc etc

Why are we having this thread?............Doug Wilson has never won a Stanley Cup as a GM..........why is he considered a great GM?

The guy made one good trade in his whole life (for J Thornton) and like the GM in Winnipeg has tried to live off this trade forever by sitting on his hand and now the team is falling apart and you guys want him?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I take Wilson not so much for his pedigree but because the OBC will run this team even further into the ground if left unchecked.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Who exactly do you think is responsible for making the Sharks "pretty respectable" for the last 10 years?

Pretty respectable is literally 10 times better than what we are right now. We're in no position to be turning out noses up on a GM that had a team be a contender for the better part of a decade. Whether they won it all or not.

I give Dean Lombardi most of the credit for the Sharks being where they're at.

Sure Wilson made some big moves (Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, etc.), but he had a pretty good base to build on.

The Sharks have always been just there. They have a few individuals who put up great numbers, but they've never been a great team under Wilson.

I know they're at least 10 times better than where the Oilers are right now, but you could probably say that about 28 other teams (I've excluded Toronto).

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Why are we having this thread?............Doug Wilson has never won a Stanley Cup as a GM..........why is he considered a great GM?

The guy made one good trade in his whole life (for J Thornton) and like the GM in Winnipeg has tried to live off this trade forever by sitting on his hand and now the team is falling apart and you guys want him?

After Detroit, San Jose has the longest playoff streak in the league. They were a cup threat for the better part of a decade making 3 WCF's in that time. If not for Thornton and Marleau having NTC's, I have no doubt in my mind they would still be a good team now but they handcuffed Wilson.

He's an awesome GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad