Speculation: Doug Weight

bigbren92

Mar 13, 2012
Okay, so I know this is talked about a lot, but I really believe that Doug Weight could be a great head coach for the Isles. I only bring this up because I constantly see a bunch of people writing about how if we let Cappy go, we wouldn't look for a real coach, and would just promote Weight and a lot of you seem to have a problem with it. To be honest, I had a problem with that idea for the longest time too, but hearing about how he went all Herb Brooks during the ranger game and turned this team around, I honestly believe that he could actually be a great coach for us. A young team like the Islanders need a coach like him who is going to get on their ass if they start getting lazy, something Cappy doesnt seem to ever do. Maybe I'm wrong, but Weight looks like a natural behind the bench sometimes, and I think eventually he will be a great coach in this league, whether or not it is with the Islanders

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I love Wieght and what he Brings and he def has the respect of the players, But I still think we need an established NHL HC with a Track record...

I Love Dougie Being apart of the Franchise though

I think of Dougie as the Offensive coordinator and Thompson as the Defensive coordinator.

Cappy is the HC who gets all the credit or all the blame but Dougi and Thompson are the real coaches imo....

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I think it's pretty obvious Weight is being groomed for the eventual head coaching spot.. I think Doug weight has a surprisingly large amount of power with in this organization. He could end up being a solid head coach but I really think he needs more time behind the bench as an assistant before he steps up, but you know charles isn't shy about hiring inexpierenced people.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I agree and hope it happens sooner than later.

I mentioned this before (maybe in the Cappy thread) that after regulation of the Ranger game, it was Weight who was giving it to the ref who didn't call the penalty on Grabner's breakaway at the end of the game. I think it was Staal who hooked him 3 times and twice right between the legs.

His look was fierce and I read his lips to say, "Do your job, just do your job!" and I loved it.

Weight has all the makings of a very good head coach: Great history as a player, a tactical mind, strong motivator, incredible passion and the guys seem to respect him a lot. Could be a better version of Laviolette.

Plus, his time here as a player and asst coach gives him a huge leg up on any other candidates. He knows all the players, prospects and system. It was a strange move to have Thompson (who had a good year as head coach at the Bridge last season) to also be an asst. this year. Cappy must be able to see the writing on the wall, and it can't be ideal for him - but he has 2 excellent assistants.

I also like his strong ties to international hockey/Olympic background and how he took Tavares in and helped ease him into the NHL and propelled JT's progress.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I agree and hope it happens sooner than later.

I mentioned this before (maybe in the Cappy thread) that after regulation of the Ranger game, it was Weight who was giving it to the ref who didn't call the penalty on Grabner's breakaway at the end of the game. I think it was Staal who hooked him 3 times and twice right between the legs.

His look was fierce and I read his lips to say, "Do your job, just do your job!" and I loved it.

Weight has all the makings of a very good head coach: Great history as a player, a tactical mind, strong motivator, incredible passion and the guys seem to respect him a lot. Could be a better version of Laviolette.

Plus, his time here as a player and asst coach gives him a huge leg up on any other candidates. He knows all the players, prospects and system. It was a strange move to have Thompson (who had a good year as head coach at the Bridge last season) to also be an asst. this year. Cappy must be able to see the writing on the wall, and it can't be ideal for him - but he has 2 excellent assistants.

I also like his strong ties to international hockey/Olympic background and how he took Tavares in and helped ease him into the NHL and propelled JT's progress.

Shockingly, Weight giving the ref the business changed absolutely nothing. As did squirting water on to the ice last year.

Fire and brimstone mean very little imo, but its something tangible fans can point to, when the other 99% of the information is not available for them to see.

Last edited:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Shockingly Weight giving the ref the business changed absolutely nothing. As did squirting water on to the ice last year. Fire and brimstone mean very little imo, but its something tangible fans can point to, when the other 99% of the information is not available for them to see.

Agreed 100%. It's all based on perception of "caring". It's the same rationalization that leads people to want Matt Martin on the 1st line.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I love Wieght and what he Brings and he def has the respect of the players, But I still think we need an established NHL HC with a Track record...

I Love Dougie Being apart of the Franchise though

I think of Dougie as the Offensive coordinator and Thompson as the Defensive coordinator.

Cappy is the HC who gets all the credit or all the blame but Dougi and Thompson are the real coaches imo....

Wang has at least grown in that regard. From Milbury to Weight... That is a huge step up.

LotteryForLife*

Okay, so I know this is talked about a lot, but I really believe that Doug Weight could be a great head coach for the Isles. I only bring this up because I constantly see a bunch of people writing about how if we let Cappy go, we wouldn't look for a real coach, and would just promote Weight and a lot of you seem to have a problem with it. To be honest, I had a problem with that idea for the longest time too, but hearing about how he went all Herb Brooks during the ranger game and turned this team around, I honestly believe that he could actually be a great coach for us. A young team like the Islanders need a coach like him who is going to get on their ass if they start getting lazy, something Cappy doesnt seem to ever do. Maybe I'm wrong, but Weight looks like a natural behind the bench sometimes, and I think eventually he will be a great coach in this league, whether or not it is with the Islanders

I think the next time this team slides Cappy gets the axe and Weight becomes the coach. If this team ends up in last place, it'll be done in the offseason

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Shockingly, Weight giving the ref the business changed absolutely nothing. As did squirting water on to the ice last year.

Fire and brimstone mean very little imo, but its something tangible fans can point to, when the other 99% of the information is not available for them to see.

Understood, no one expected the ref to call a penalty shot at that moment but that ref will have something to think about the next time he's on the ice calling an Islander game. It was a BS non call. I just thought it interesting that it wasn't Cappy dishing it.

Plus, besides the fans like myself who caught that exchange, the guys on the bench take notice of stuff like that. Steve Stirling and Scott Gordon weren't really known for their fire and heat is a definite prerequisite for the task.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Understood, no one expected the ref to call a penalty shot at that moment but that ref will have something to think about the next time he's on the ice calling an Islander game. It was a BS non call. I just thought it interesting that it wasn't Cappy dishing it.

Plus, besides the fans like myself who caught that exchange, the guys on the bench take notice of stuff like that. Steve Stirling and Scott Gordon weren't really known for their fire and heat is a definite prerequisite for the task.

:laugh: Common, you can't seriously believe this!? Refs are human, but they are really good at what they do. They are not going to be affected by something that was said to them earlier in the game, or two weeks ago. If they do let something like that affect their game, it would almost certainly be the opposite direction (see Burrows). I mean who likes to get yelled at?

Personally, if I was on the bench, I would want to move on with the game and not dwell on what just happened, but that's just me.

And since when is heart a prerequisite (I'm not even going to get into how screaming like a lunatic = heart)? There are so many great baseball managers, hockey coaches, football coaches that have done just fine without losing their mind over ****.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
:laugh: Common, you can't seriously believe this!? Refs are human, but they are really good at what they do. They are not going to be affected by something that was said to them earlier in the game, or two weeks ago. If they do let something like that affect their game, it would almost certainly be the opposite direction (see Burrows). I mean who likes to get yelled at?

Personally, if I was on the bench, I would want to move on with the game and not dwell on what just happened, but that's just me.

And since when is heart a prerequisite (I'm not even going to get into how screaming like a lunatic = heart)? There are so many great baseball managers, hockey coaches, football coaches that have done just fine without losing their mind over ****.

He wasn't screaming and I wouldn't want that. He got his attention and expressed his thought calmly, but the look in his eyes said it all. I just like his attitude.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
I don't think Weight would be on that bench making Capuano very uncomfortable unless he was practically assured the next gig by management. I never liked that situation. It is unfair to Cappy. He is a sitting duck. Either let him do his job without LITERALLY having to look over his shoulder, or stop playing games and fire him. If the Isles had lost one or two more during that streak, I believe Cappy would have been out of there and Weight would have took the reigns. Although I think the setup is unfair to Cappy and a bit embarrassing in true Islander fashion (its almost as if our coach needs a coach), that's not to say I don't like Weight. It's the exact opposite.

In most cases, it is best to go find someone outside the organization with a nice bit of experience, but I get the feeling that Weight is a natural and going to be a great coach.

He's going to be in the next wave of exciting young coaches. He commands respect, is stern, yet the players like him, which is one of the hardest things to do as a coach (being a hard ass, yet liked at the same time by your players). Weight just gets it! He's passionate and could just as easily put a player or ref in their place....

The fact that Weight was the one who gave the fiery speech versus the Rangers, before we exploded for 3 second period goals, not Capuano says it all.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
It does suck for cappy also knowing Weight definitely has the owners ear along with being an assistant to Garth pretty much.. It's like he has a spy in his cabinet.

isle 24

Dec 17, 2006
NC

I have to disagree. I think that the players see the fire he has and rise up to match it.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Agreed 100%. It's all based on perception of "caring". It's the same rationalization that leads people to want Matt Martin on the 1st line.

That seems like a bit of a reach, Richie. If this were true, we'd have already seen a few "Promote McDonald/Cizikas to the 1st line" threads by now. Although I've personally never called for Martin to be promoted to the 1st line, I can understand why people would have been in favor of that. Martin isn't your typical goon. For a guy his size, he's an above average skater, has above average hands and an above average shot. Not to mention around the time these guys were asking for Martin on the 1st, Tavares was getting run by the opposing teams pretty frequently with little to no response. Couple that with Tavares' ability to elevate the play of his linemates, all of a sudden giving Martin a shot on that line wasn't the worst idea.

As far as Weight goes, who knows whether or not he'd be a good NHL Head Coach. I agree that the fact that he shows some fire doesn't really mean a whole lot as far as his coaching ability is concerned, but that said I do think a coach who has that type of personality would go a lot further with a young group. Either way, you would have to think that Weight could at least give us what Cappy has given us these past two years.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
As Snow has learned, you can't just introduce someone to an alien situation and expect them to learn everything on the spot. He is definately being prepared for the position by observing Capuono, his mistakes specifically, in order to avoid those mistakes when he himself becomes head coach.

twentytwo

Jun 23, 2008

This. Is. Perfect.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

And Weight's ripping into the Refs while may be seen as a relief to the fans, will grow tired on the refs and he will lose a LOT of respect from the refs. You don't want that at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad