Confirmed with Link: Doug Weight and Charlie Huddy going into the Oilers Hall of Fame

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Echoing what others have said, Weight was my favorite player growing up so this is nice to see and well deserved. Same for Huddy. What a stable force on the backend
Huddy's story and accomplishments with the team make him a natural lock for this kind of honour imo.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Excellent choices!

I believe Weight was the last Oiler to put up 100 points until McDavid.

He carried some underpowered teams through a couple of all-time historic playoff upsets.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Excellent choices!

I believe Weight was the last Oiler to put up 100 points until McDavid.

He carried some underpowered teams through a couple of all-time historic playoff upsets.
The first round upsets of Dallas in the 1997 playoffs and then Colorado in 1998 were fun hockey to watch. Attended a few of those games at Northlands Coliseum and the barn was rocking the whole game.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The first round upsets of Dallas in the 1997 playoffs and then Colorado in 1998 were fun hockey to watch. Attended a few of those games at Northlands Coliseum and the barn was rocking the whole game.

Those two series are what entrenched me as a fan. Timing was perfect as they occurred basically at the same age I started playing and being coherent enough to actually follow the NHL.

Reactions: Frank the Tank

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad to see Dougie get some love. He didn't play in the 80's so I'm impressed Katz knows his name.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Loved Ronnie Lowe during those times as well. The perfect coach for those hardworking, no nonsense, physical take no prisoners type of teams. Never forget after they beat Colorado, and had Dallas up next, he shouted into the camera, "Bring on the fat man!" in reference to Ken Hitchcock. Classic TV moment.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Loved Ronnie Lowe during those times as well. The perfect coach for those hardworking, no nonsense, physical take no prisoners type of teams. Never forget after they beat Colorado, and had Dallas up next, he shouted into the camera, "Bring on the fat man!" in reference to Ken Hitchcock. Classic TV moment.

It really sucks that we had zero money to maintain, and then build on those teams.

The 1998 team especially started to really round out, then just as that was beginning to materialize we had to ship guys off because we couldn't pay them. If we could have added another star piece or two to that group while keeping Joseph and Weight we could have had something there.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Should also chime in with the obvious.

Huddy is also a great pick.

Huddy who's body of work would never get recognized by the HHOF was of course one of the main unsung heroes of the dynasty.

But even post-dynasty, we had a couple of teams who had no business being contenders going to the Conference Finals a couple of times.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I still remember watching that game against CGY and Weight scoring that goal where he skates sideways and then shelves it. I believe it was in an opening video in one of the EA NHL games

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I still remember watching that game against CGY and Weight scoring that goal where he skates sideways and then shelves it. I believe it was in an opening video in one of the EA NHL games
Same. It was early at the start of the game. I had just sat down on my friends couch. His parents were out of town, party time lol. IIRC that was the only goal the Oilers scored that game and it was a 1-1 final. Weight is still one of my favorite players ever. I was GUTTED the day he was traded, which was all because of the $$$ of course.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Both Huddy and Weight deserve this no question about it ! I thought that when Weight was here with Guerin and Cujo, the Oilers had a chance to build a winner but with no salary cap at the time the Oilers were doomed to be mediocre!! 🙄🤷🏻‍♂️

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Another Weight Super-Fan here from Childhood. Great guy, great player.

Wish some combination of Guerin and Weight could have taken management reigns here in Edmonton.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Doug Weight is the definition of what it meant to to be an Oiler in the late 90s. The guy took multiple discounts because he loved playing here. It got to the point where the PA had to step in and tell him he had to take market value because he was ruining it for the other guys in his tier. If there is one guy that deserves this honour it’s Dougie:

NHL 99 and the year before that it was the Cujo save against the Avs. Best two intros EA ever did IMO

One of my favorite calls...

Godamn I miss that man on the mic

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Doug Weight is the definition of what it meant to to be an Oiler in the late 90s. The guy took multiple discounts because he loved playing here. It got to the point where the PA had to step in and tell him he had to take market value because he was ruining it for the other guys in his tier. If there is one guy that deserves this honour it’s Dougie:

NHL 99 and the year before that it was the Cujo save against the Avs. Best two intros EA ever did IMO

Godamn I miss that man on the mic
Completely agree with this post.
Especially the bolded. :nod:

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad