Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think we can both agree that, as was claimed by the poster I quoted, that Andlauer is not actively interviewing potential head coach candidates ….. as that would be ridiculous.

I dont agree because it sounds like they like DJ and my guess is Andlauer would want to interview the coach. Melnyk did, Andlauer might too

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
This "hands off owner" prospect is ridiculous. Imagine owning a billion dollar company and having no input or decision making authority.

Melnyk was an idiot and was too involved over his head in many different ways. That isn't the same as a savy owner with relative experience having to put his foot down when it's hit the fan and he is losing huge money vs projections and targets.

I've worked in companies where board of directors have called for massive layoffs as they were hemerging money. They didnt ask the managers for feedback, they knew there was no other option than to implement layoffs to save the business.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
This "hands off owner" prospect is ridiculous. Imagine owning a billion dollar company and having no input or decision making authority.

Melnyk was an idiot and was too involved over his head in many different ways. That isn't the same as a savy owner with relative experience having to put his foot down when it's hit the fan and he is losing huge money vs projections and targets.

I've worked in companies where board of directors have called for massive layoffs as they were hemerging money. They didnt ask the managers for feedback, they knew there was no other option than to implement layoffs to save the business.

I get your point.

My guess is that Staios recommends major decisions to Andlaur based on his own research (interviews for example). These decisions cover the entire hockey operation (hence his title) including player contracts, building the hockey organization beneath the POHO. Maybe even significant trades (I doubt Andlaur would welcome learning from HF Boards that the team traded Tkachuk).

It is a question of how far down Andlaur's hands reach and how often he rejects Staios' recommendations.

Hiring the GM? I believe he will want Staios' detailed rationale justifying the candidate and will likely want to have dinner with the candidate.

I doubt Andlaur approves selections at the amateur draft or approves player movement between Belleville and Ottawa.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I dont agree because it sounds like they like DJ and my guess is Andlauer would want to interview the coach. Melnyk did, Andlauer might too
So Melnyk meddling BAD, but Andlauer meddling GOOD?

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
For those comparing Melnyk and Andlauer, I would suggest basing their decision making on how they made their money. Melnyk was about creating new drugs from expired patents. Andlauer is about logistics. One requires making one smart decision, and repeating the process. The other is about making more efficient processes. It means constantly evaluating and improving to find an edge. I would say Melnyk's way of making money is more ingenious, but it doesn't lend itself to long-term improvement. Logistics on the other hand has no barrier to entry. Andlauer's going to have to constantly update his processes to fend off potential competitors.

Between the two and their different mindsets, who do you think is better suited to put together a winning hockey organization? The guy with one great idea, or the one who has to constantly re-evaluate to fend off competitors? The guy who said "lawyer up" to every decision he didn't like, or the guy who said we need to be better?

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I'd be willing to bet that Andlauer is heavily involved in most day to day operations. We have heard over and over again that he is big on discretion and one way to keep things under wraps is by being in control of them. One way to be in control of them is by being THE key player in the room.

On top of that he is a hockey junky like the rest of us. Add to that his strong relationship with Staios and the fact that they are kind of running this alone for the time being and I have a really hard time believing they don't sit around and constantly discuss the state of the team and strategy etc... It would be very isolating for Staios to be doing that alone at this juncture imo. Andlauer may be doing it out of necessity early on but I bet he likes it and would have a hard time not being involved simply because of how pragmatic he is.

I picture those two guys sitting on leather couches non stop talking about every single aspect of the team with complete openness and trust in each other and I think it will always be that way no matter who joins the fray. Kind of like Ted Lasso and Beard.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'd be willing to bet that Andlauer is heavily involved in most day to day operations. We have heard over and over again that he is big on discretion and one way to keep things under wraps is by being in control of them. One way to be in control of them is by being THE key player in the room.

On top of that he is a hockey junky like the rest of us. Add to that his strong relationship with Staios and the fact that they are kind of running this alone for the time being and I have a really hard time believing they don't sit around and constantly discuss the state of the team and strategy etc... It would be very isolating for Staios to be doing that alone at this juncture imo. Andlauer may be doing it out of necessity early on but I bet he likes it and would have a hard time not being involved simply because of how pragmatic he is.

I picture those two guys sitting on leather couches non stop talking about every single aspect of the team with complete openness and trust in each other and I think it will always be that way no matter who joins the fray. Kind of like Ted Lasso and Beard.
Ys, hard to believe that Andlauer isn't speaking with Staois about things of importance like the hiring of a key position for the organization he owns. My guess is that Andlauer and Staois are in-synch when it comes to decisions and things like this.

And, it would be good to move to another topic.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

You can probably add Bowness into those conversations

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That isn't really how his kind works.

To them it is just "look at how hypocritical you are". Understanding context is a bit hard for them.
This is how your kind spin to justify being hypocritical.
Self-realization is a mystery for them.

1701733866312.gif

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think Andlaur and Staios just came in and wanted to maintain the status quo. Assess over the year and make changes in the offseason.

Then Dorian forced their hand, and DJ is making a strong case for himself too.

I don't blame them for taking it slow. They know they aren't winning the cup this year.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The good news is that, if we're in the crapper again, he'll absolutely want to go somewhere he can contribute, so he can end the season on a positive note going into free agency.
He also can't be happy with his current deployment. Last game playing a bit with Stu and Batherson was a welcome change.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Andlauer would want to have final approval for key hockey ops positions such as the new GM and the new Head Coach; however, he would probably go with the recommendations of his POHO. Having dinner with the winning candidate would be the appropriate thing to do to welcome the new guy to the team.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
This Andlauer fellow sure does like to talk. Not a good or bad thing at the moment, just my observation.
The media knew that Ottawa was always good for a story. Eventually they will stop asking when they realize there is no story anymore, just a hockey team and hockey stuff.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good Staios interview in here

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
doubt Andlauer is involved much for a coaching decision. He already confirmed that he wants the people under him to be responsible for who they hire.

He could potentially meet with who the POHO/GM recommend but that is pretty standard for some organizations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad