Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin' me? Playoffs?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I wonder if we see some call-ups now that the team is in the playoffs -
I would like to see Hutton, Maggio, Isk, and Dufour.
Some players could use a breather here.
I was wondering the same thing. I hope so for the reason you mentioned and for one night play in the bigs, experience, the show, and make some $. Plant some seeds now.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I was wondering the same thing. I hope so for the reason you mentioned and for one night play in the bigs, experience, the show, and make some $. Plant some seeds now.
They need depth in the playoffs, especially if Wahlstrom is dead man walking - 1 extra F and 1 extra D isn’t going to cut it

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I was just thinking you want to sit guys who are either injured or older, but somebody did make a decent case for Barzal. Maybe Lee? Can't do Palmieri since he is 1 goal away from 30
Could see Barzal and Horvat considering they probably will be loaded up in minutes for playoffs.id call up Hutton and sit Pelech snd Pulock also.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
It was pretty clear the Rangers wanted no part of the Isles or Bolts, they played some of the best hockey I’ve seen them play all year the last week. They knew PIT WSH DET were probably sweeps or close to it, PIT due to experience I feel is most likely to give them a series.. They have to now hope the Isles physically beat Carolina up which even in a 5-6 game series the Isles could do.
I doubt they care who they play.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Considering the matchup is already set, and Bridgeport is not playoff bound, it would make sense to make some call ups.

Reactions: periferal

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Canes are gonna play us aggressive and hard.

Expect relentless pressure and forechecking in our zone making it difficult for NYI to breakout. There's an opportunity for some big chances if Isles can make smart quick decisions with precision passing and aggressive vertical skating, but Canes are best in the league at keeping teams penned in their own zone for most of the game.

Reactions: Osakahaus

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Totally. And if they did, my guess is they'd rather play the Islanders than the Penguins.
There was a NHL network show on the 94 team and Neil Smith said the entire front office was very concerned about an R1 matchup due more to physical wear down or emotional toll than losing. He said they preferred a series with less rivalry implications early but that the team was so experienced it really had no impact. This Rangers team is a bit less seasoned with more younger guys. I think it would have been more a long run detriment than risk of losing the series

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The Isles don’t need to play a bunch of kids on game 82 after clinching the playoffs on game 81.

Reactions: Big L

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I’ll take the Isles winning the series in 5 or 6. Big series from Varly, Palms, Horvat, Maclean, and Riley.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Expect relentless pressure and forechecking in our zone making it difficult for NYI to breakout. There's an opportunity for some big chances if Isles can make smart quick decisions with precision passing and aggressive vertical skating, but Canes are best in the league at keeping teams penned in their own zone for most of the game.
I'm hoping that the changes made by Roy will help in this regard. Lambert had them playing a "please pen us up in our own zone" style, but Roy has improved the breakouts significantly over Lambert (and Trotz for that matter). They make quick passes I haven't seen the team make in years.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
As far as Wednesday's meaningless game, Dobson should not play obviously even if he is ready. Put Sorokin in net and Varly starts game 1. But if it was up to me Barzy, Horvat and possibly Nelson and Palmieri should all sit out. No reason to risk injuries to any of these guys against a Pens team that will either be frustrated at being eliminated or extra juiced up and playing for their playoff lives.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
As far as Wednesday's meaningless game, Dobson should not play obviously even if he is ready. Put Sorokin in net and Varly starts game 1. But if it was up to me Barzy, Horvat and possibly Nelson and Palmieri should all sit out. No reason to risk injuries to any of these guys against a Pens team that will either be frustrated at being eliminated or extra juiced up and playing for their playoff lives.
I agree with most of you say, and especially regarding Dobson.

Resting a handful of the key players is sensible and I would expect it if the Pens are out of it. If this is still a meaningful game for Pittsburgh, then Coach Roy will do the right thing and dress the overwhelming majority of his starters.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I’ll take the Isles winning the series in 5 or 6. Big series from Varly, Palms, Horvat, Maclean, and Riley.

Impossible. No way the Isles can overcome the overpaid embarrassingly bad unclutch non-leader that is Mat Barzal.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Looking forward to a 100% healthy Barzal to take over several of the games single handedly. Barzal + Playoffs = Instant entertainment. Game breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad