Player Discussion Donald Brashear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
The nature of being a designated fighter leads one down the path of drugs. Constant pain and constant fear.

I appreciate the innate physicality of the game and legitimate beefs that break out, but the sport is better without enforcer culture.

Tie Domi did great after hockey, and I'm certain there are more.

It's more of a mental illness issue which the NHL clearly never handled well.

Reactions: White Death 24

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Tie Domi did great after hockey, and I'm certain there are more.

It's more of a mental illness issue which the NHL clearly never handled well.
Yes, some of them do great after hockey.

Still, Bob Probert, Wade Belak, Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Steve Montador. All dead. All 45 and younger. All with 50+ fights in the NHL. (Except Rypien but he racked up 28 in about a season and a half worth of NHL games)

There's no reason to have over 50 fights. To get to that number you have to have two guys fighting each other simply because they exist. There's really no reason for it and it adds nothing to the game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hard to say what's going on--apparently he had a company (hockey sticks?--something else?) and it went bankrupt and he owes about $200K. I don't know if he got concussed all that often--the thing with McSorley and he kind of got K.O.ed by Wade Belak (RIP). Some people though are just shitty business people. I know I would be--because for one thing other people's money never really interested me. Some people also just run through money like nobody's business. If they have it they spend it and if he's doing coke that would be one way of spending it real fast. A little off on a tangent but I kind of remember him playing the piano rather well (not joking)--maybe it was another hockey player. It's surprising though sometimes what talent people have.

Anyway I wasn't a big fan of him as a hockey player--by the time he got to the Rangers he was shell and before that frankly (I'm speaking of him as a hockey player here not as a person) he was a f***ing asshole. That said--he had a very hard childhood (and nobody deserves that) and hopefully he straightens his life out.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
The nature of being a designated fighter leads one down the path of drugs. Constant pain and constant fear.

I appreciate the innate physicality of the game and legitimate beefs that break out, but the sport is better without enforcer culture.

Plenty of enforcers went a different route that didn't involve drugs and or alcohol. At the end of the day, each individual knows what's right and what's wrong. It's up to them to walk the line.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Also, Tie Domi was in 270 fights. Boxers don't get hit that much.

The fact that he can literally move at this point is a miracle, let alone that he's healthy. And he probably isn't...

He's not an argument in favor of it.

Didn't mean to be misunderstood, I didn't mean I'm 'in favor' of straight old school goonery. I just believe addiction is an illness, which the NHL (and most other leagues) have bungled countless times throughout the years.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Didn't mean to be misunderstood, I didn't mean I'm 'in favor' of straight old school goonery. I just believe addiction is an illness, which the NHL (and most other leagues) have bungled countless times throughout the years.
Oh, for sure.

Symptomatic of the culture but still preventable.

Reactions: Rongomania

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
To add a little levity....

At first, Brashear was asked to be a greeter at the door of the Tim Hortons, but every time a customer tried to fist bump him, he ended up hugging them for 2 minutes straight.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

This is true.

Also suspect some level of CTE which doesn't help matters at all. Brain injuries are scary as f***.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Also, Tie Domi was in 270 fights. Boxers don't get hit that much.

The fact that he can literally move at this point is a miracle, let alone that he's healthy. And he probably isn't...

He's not an argument in favor of it.
I'm pretty sure Domi isn't a human. Can't compare.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The reality is that we’re only now starting to see the impact of the enforcer culture that existed between the late 70s through the 2000s.

We don’t really have a good benchmark prior to that time period, and we won’t know how the 2010s and beyond will look for another 20 years or so.

Now having said that, I think we also have to take into account some of the circumstances surrounding the enforcers who have passed.

Some of them battled some serious drug problems or had significant issues away from the rink. Those seem to be the names that are popping up the most. Additionally, we don’t know the true percentage of enforcers who have or will develop problems as a result of their role in the NHL.

There are likely many non-enforcers who actually took as much, or maybe even more punishment as a result of the amount of time they played and the punishment they received.

But this is all something that deserves serious monitoring and evaluating.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The reality is that we’re only now starting to see the impact of the enforcer culture that existed between the late 70s through the 2000s.

We don’t really have a good benchmark prior to that time period, and we won’t know how the 2010s and beyond will look for another 20 years or so.

Now having said that, I think we also have to take into account some of the circumstances surrounding the enforcers who have passed.

Some of them battled some serious drug problems or had significant issues away from the rink. Those seem to be the names that are popping up the most. Additionally, we don’t know the true percentage of enforcers who have or will develop problems as a result of their role in the NHL.

There are likely many non-enforcers who actually took as much, or maybe even more punishment as a result of the amount of time they played and the punishment they received.

But this is all something that deserves serious monitoring and evaluating.
I'm sure you've seen The Last Gladiators. A fascinating film. Tough to watch.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Yes, some of them do great after hockey.

Still, Bob Probert, Wade Belak, Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Steve Montador. All dead. All 45 and younger. All with 50+ fights in the NHL. (Except Rypien but he racked up 28 in about a season and a half worth of NHL games)

There's no reason to have over 50 fights. To get to that number you have to have two guys fighting each other simply because they exist. There's really no reason for it and it adds nothing to the game.

Darren Langdon had a bunch of fights, PJ Stock is another guy although he had injuries and had to retire but no known issues to his health. it all depends on the person if they want to take a dark path or not. Colton Orr is another guy

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Fairly obv that concussions due to fighting or hits, whatever... affect everyone differently in severity and duration. Very sad to see something like this... I hope he can find a way to get to a place that he deserves and can find some happiness

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Fairly obv that concussions due to fighting or hits, whatever... affect everyone differently in severity and duration. Very sad to see something like this... I hope he can find a way to get to a place that he deserves and can find some happiness

Yeah as @Machinehead said, the correlation between goons+all of the mental s*** that goes along with it = drug abuse more often than not.

It's so sad and to this day, (slightly OT here) I was reading the Kuznetsov coke stuff and the NHL rulebook actually ALLOWS its players to test positive for cocaine multiple times before any type of disciplinary action is taken. That, to me, is f***in' bananas.

Reactions: Machinehead

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Plenty of enforcers went a different route that didn't involve drugs and or alcohol. At the end of the day, each individual knows what's right and what's wrong. It's up to them to walk the line.

This is an incredibly naive take on addiction and mental health.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Someone said on the main board his friend just had opened that Tim Hortons up and he said he would help out to create publicity for it. I’m a little more inclined to believe that story to be honest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad