Don Waddell to head 2006 U.S. Olympic Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
Nice choice.Now if he could only play defense.

Yeah, that's going to be interesting. From the tone of the article, the youth movement is probably in full effect with one or two veterans to lead the charge. That could be good or bad depending on who is selected.

espo*

Yes,but which two veterans.I would think Chelios most likely will be odd man out this time but he's done an awful lot for their program so?

It looks like guys like Hatcher will have to go gangbusters back to old form this year to be considered.I would think Leetch is one of the veterans who will still be picked and i think Schneider and Carney have decent shots.Paul Martin in all liklihood will be there but after that it's tough to call............................they'll probably go with the guys who are having the best and most consistent seasons i think.But yes,the youth movement is most likely on now.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
A good choice, because as countless numbers of us remeber from our younger years: When there's trouble you call DW.

espo*

He might want to start thinking of kessel as a candidate too.....................i'm pretty high on that kid.He's already easily got the wheels to make any team.He's young but..........big ice,no red line..........................is it so crazy?.Maybe i've been dazzled too much by limited viewing.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
cyclops said:
He might want to start thinking of kessel as a candidate too.....................i'm pretty high on that kid.He's already easily got the wheels to make any team.He's young but..........big ice,no red line..........................is it so crazy?.Maybe i've been dazzled too much by limited viewing.
I think you have been. He will be what, 17/18/19 in the 06 Olympics? Thats a bit too soon IMO. Let him develop nicely than rushing him straight into the Olympics. USA has enough of good players to play.

espo*

12# Peter Bondra said:
I think you have been. He will be what, 17/18/19 in the 06 Olympics? Thats a bit too soon IMO. Let him develop nicely than rushing him straight into the Olympics. USA has enough of good players to play.
Possible , but lets just say that the kid absolutely tears it up at Minnesota next year,breaks records and wows people like nobodies business,then what? and he just may do it...............he'll be young at 18-19 sure but there has been precedents before.........Lindros played on team Canada at that age.I'm not saying he's some behemoth like Lindros but i'll tell ya.............................he's got wheels like you can absolutely not believe,it's scary,and he can handle and shoot the puck too!!.
The U.S has a nice crop of forwards but not so deep that Don Waddell could'nt afford to sick some scouts on his games and see if he really could help the team if someone goes down.Have you watched him play before? He makes believers really quick........usually about one or two shifts in.As the g.m,and considering if it potentially plays out in college like i said next year.................i think their brass would be crazy not to take a look.Not saying he should be picked but............................maybe considered. Big ice,no red line............................he just may be ready to help a world class team at 18-19.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I havent seen him play but read lots of reports. IF he tore up the League and broke records, then he could make the team but I cant see him making the team if he plays just good.

espo*

12# Peter Bondra said:
I havent seen him play but read lots of reports. IF he tore up the League and broke records, then he could make the team but I cant see him making the team if he plays just good.
Agreed,his play would most definately have to be beyond "good" for consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad