Management Don Sweeney

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Best regular season team ever, bounced in first round by 8th seed team while losing 3 in a row and 3 games at home?

ALL THE WHILE having zero cap to improve a team losing a half dozen plus players.

Your bar is extremely low.

Sorry if I don't consider putting a team on the ice that had the best regular season ever a mess.

I was a Whalers season ticket holder for 13 seasons. I know what a mess looks like.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Consider the teams still alive in the playoffs right now.

None of them have won a Cup in this century.

Florida and Vancouver have never won a Cup.

Florida has been in the league for 30 years, missed the playoffs 20 times.

Vancouver has been in the league 53 years, missed the playoffs 24 times.

Dallas hasn't won a Cup in 25 years. Missed the playoffs 10 times since then.

The Rangers haven't won a Cup in 30 years. Missed the playoffs 11 times since then.

Edmonton hasn't won a Cup in 34 years. Missed the playoffs 18 times since then.

So when teams have a GM that puts a product on the ice that has a chance (make the playoffs) every year, they are not likely to fire that guy.

All this really highlights is it’s extremely important to capitalize on those stretches when you have a team with a core that can go deep in the playoffs.

You’re preaching to the choir about understanding how hard it is to have a competitive team year after year. Which is why fans like myself and @LouJersey view it the way we do.

So as fans you should expect your management and the players to do everything possible to maximize the chances during those windows.

That includes holding the team accountable when they piss away years. Half the teams in the league make the playoffs every year

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Sorry if I don't consider putting a team on the ice that had the best regular season ever a mess.

I was a Whalers season ticket holder for 13 seasons. I know what a mess looks like.

Sweeney is why they didn't have cap last off season.

That's a fact.

He boxed him self into the mess that was signing 5 guys at the price of 1 Bertuzi.

That's horribly mismanaged.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
All this really highlights is it’s extremely important to capitalize on those stretches when you have a team with a core that can go deep in the playoffs.

You’re preaching to the choir about understanding how hard it is to have a competitive team year after year. Which is why fans like myself and @LouJersey view it the way we do.

So as fans you should expect your management and the players to do everything possible to maximize the chances during those windows.

That includes holding the team accountable when they piss away years. Half the teams in the league make the playoffs every year

Over half. It's actually quite easy to make the playoffs.

The bruins did it with a bunch of guys signed no one else wanted.

Feb 25, 2016
You mean spending to the Cap?

You're a couple of decades behind the times with this post.
Does that spending to cap include Backes, Beleskey, Hayes, Richie, etc, and now looking like they overpaid many players to the point where they didn't have enough cap space to keep Hall? Or, sign a player like Hertl? Can you imagine what Hall and Hertl could have been to the Bruins against the Panthers?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

This is a Don Sweeney thread, right?

What years did he piss away?

And yes, half the teams in the league make the playoffs every year. But it's the point of my post that almost no other teams make the playoffs as much as the Bruins. And you only have a chance to win the Cup if you make the playoffs.

Does that spending to cap include Backes, Beleskey, Hayes, Richie, etc, and now looking like they overpaid many players to the point where they didn't have enough cap space to keep Hall? Or, sign a player like Hertl? Can you imagine what Hall and Hertl could have been to the Bruins against the Panthers?

And what does that have to do with the owner?

Jacobs has zero input on hockey decisions.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
he had no choice last summer friend, he had next to no money to spend
He put himself in that position, traded for 3 UFA, loss his second line wing because he signed a contract 36 year old center that left this team high and dry the year before. He brought a lot of excitement and interest with those moves but were they smart GM moves, I don't think so, but he also bought good publicity.

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

I mean it’s been rehashed for years. But one example is he had Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta locked up on sweetheart deals for years. And yet Krejci was saddled with bums more often than not.

And yes, half the teams in the league make the playoffs every year. But it's the point of my post that almost no other teams make the playoffs as much as the Bruins. And you only have a chance to win the Cup if you make the playoffs.
Going to need a source for the bolded.

Reactions: EverettMike
Feb 25, 2016

And what does that have to do with the owner?

Jacobs has zero input on hockey decisions.

Jacobs has everything to do with how HIS club is managed; just as Kraft took active control of his team. Sweeney and Neely manage the team for the Jacobs not the other way around. At least that is what I was taught in business management and organizational hierarchy.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
zero point discussing with you, you are set on your position.

Did someone other than Don assemble the team? You don't have to like my take but by all means tell us who else is responsible for this team being in cap hell last year?

I'm open to blaming someone else.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Just going to guess the preseason "This team is a playoff bubble team at best" and postseason "Winning a round with the worst roster ever assembled by man is an insult to real fans" crowds have a rather high correlation.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I feel like a good part of the fan base understand that he went all in last year, but don’t want to accept the repercussions for it that happened cap wise this year.

Maybe just not being able to accept the result of last years run? Believe me, I still can’t believe it and it’s been a full year since.

But if they didn’t go all in, that would’ve been grounds for firing. People would have been so pissed off that they didn’t give it a last run with Bergy/Krejci.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too..

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Jacobs has everything to do with how HIS club is managed; just as Kraft took active control of his team. Sweeney and Neely manage the team for the Jacobs not the other way around. At least that is what I was taught in business management and organizational hierarchy.

You answered yourself. Jacobs is hands off. Strictly the cap investment.
As you said ‘ Sweeney and Neely manage the team’.
Jacobs runs it as a business . Money out. Money in.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You answered yourself. Jacobs is hands off. Strictly the cap investment.
As you said ‘ Sweeney and Neely manage the team’.
Jacobs runs it as a business . Money out. Money in.
Agreed and I have actually grown to appreciate the Jacobs family when it comes to the B`s. I get the impression that they allow their Prez/GM to run the team , give them the green light to spend to the cap consistently and don`t really bud in, not sure what else you can ask from an ownership group?

Reactions: JCRO and Gee Wally

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I feel like a good part of the fan base understand that he went all in last year, but don’t want to accept the repercussions for it that happened cap wise this year.

Maybe just not being able to accept the result of last years run? Believe me, I still can’t believe it and it’s been a full year since.

But if they didn’t go all in, that would’ve been grounds for firing. People would have been so pissed off that they didn’t give it a last run with Bergy/Krejci.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too..

I think a good part of the fan base understands they went all in last year at the deadline, and the results showed that it was the wrong move. Either the less is more would have been better, or there should have been other targets.

The GM is judged by the results. They weren’t good in the postseason.

He threw away all those assets to get only as far as he did the season prior.

He made the wrong calls and he’s being judged for it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Conference finals appearances since 15-16

Lightning 4
Canes 2
Rangers 2
Panthers 2
Pens 2
Isles 1
Bruins 1
Sens 1
Caps 1
Habs 1 *covid

Yep you need to wn when you should. Last year it was "play-offs are difficult, nothing is guaranteed as a 1 seed"....One calendar year later 3 1 seeds in conference final and a fourth is up 3-2. Bruins when favorites only win the series at 60% When they are a lower seed they win a series at 20%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Conference finals appearances since 15-16

Lightning 4
Canes 2
Rangers 2
Panthers 2
Pens 2
Isles 1
Bruins 1
Sens 1
Caps 1
Habs 1 *covid

Yep you need to wn when you should. Last year it was "play-offs are difficult, nothing is guaranteed as a 1 seed"....One calendar year later 3 1 seeds in conference final and a fourth is up 3-2.

There’s always an excuse when the Bruins are the high seed, and you can never expect the bruins to pull off a win as the low seed.

Even if they were the low seed by 1 pt in the regular season

Reactions: EverettMike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad