Don Granato is the worst coach in the nhl.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
We heard this about Bylsma, Kruger, Housley, and now Granato.

At what point does it become the team may suck. And, if it is on the coaches, what gives people any faith the Pegula's can actually hire someone.
It's not mutually exclusive.

There are holes in this teams roster construction and Don Granato is a bad head coach.

Reactions: DaveG

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
A lot of Sabers are having bad years that is for sure. Seems like a new tradition now, during camps people say this is the year they break out, the reality sets in...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

At what point does it become the team may suck. And, if it is on the coaches, what gives people any faith the Pegula's can actually hire someone.

Agreed. Much like Ottawa, I just did not see it with the Sabres. People put way too much stock into late season hockey every year.

I also think they're far worse off after the Eichel trade.

Reactions: Voight and Fatass

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
How many coaches have they gone through the past decade? Easy to blame the coaches when the whole organization sucks from top to bottom.

It starts with accountability. The organization seems to have a mentality that losing and sucking is ok. No big deal, we're just here to have some fun and cash paychecks.

It's not one part in particular, it's the sum of all parts that sucks. Owner sucks, GM sucks, coaches suck, players suck. The answer isn't just "coach sucks" when you've been sucking 12 years straight and gone through many coaches.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Those were completely different rosters. Are you saying maybe it’s rotten from ownership on down? Because that I could maybe agree with.

Reactions: DaveG

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Catch 22 in buffalo. Keep it fun so players stick around. Fun hockey loses games.
This ^^^
The Sabres top minute guys don’t play the type of game needed to be winners. A coach like Torts would get them playing the right way. But would any coach have that kind of clout in Buffalo, considering your comment on keeping players?

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Are any of those guys you listed HC anywhere since they left Buffalo? Considering how many retreads this league has you would think at least one of them got hired by fluke chance.

Reactions: BFLO and sabremike

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
How many coaches have they gone through the past decade? Easy to blame the coaches when the whole organization sucks from top to bottom.

It starts with accountability. The organization seems to have a mentality that losing and sucking is ok. No big deal, we're just here to have some fun and cash paychecks.

It's not one part in particular, it's the sum of all parts that sucks. Owner sucks, GM sucks, coaches suck, players suck. The answer isn't just "coach sucks" when you've been sucking 12 years straight and gone through many coaches.
Can't fire the owner and can't get rid of every player on the roster, so what exactly would you have us do? If we made a thread about firing Adams you and the others in here would just be saying "How many GMs have they had in the past decade?" as a reason to not fire him.

So we stay with a bad coach just because we have had a bunch of bad coaches previously? How does this make any sense whatsoever? Have any of those previous coaches gone on to be a head coach anywhere else in the NHL?

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Can't fire the owner and can't get rid of every player on the roster, so what exactly would you have us do? If we made a thread about firing Adams you and the others in here would just be saying "How many GMs have they had in the past decade?" as a reason to not fire him.

So we stay with a bad coach just because we have had a bunch of bad coaches previously? How does this make any sense whatsoever? Have any of those previous coaches gone on to be a head coach anywhere else in the NHL?
I'm not saying that some of the blame shouldn't be on the coach. What I'm saying is that no matter how many coaches they've gone through the past 12 years, they've still sucked. The problem is way more complex and deep than "coach sucks".

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Don Granato is to coaching what Fanatics is to sports merchandise.
And Pegula is to this franchise what mold is to a potato. We need a new owner. Pegula sucks. Rigas was a crook but at least the team was winning under his tenure. Pretty sad, we're better off with a felon for an owner than a legit one

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I'm not saying that some of the blame shouldn't be on the coach. What I'm saying is that no matter how many coaches they've gone through the past 12 years, they've still sucked. The problem is way more complex and deep than "coach sucks".
I agree, but again, we can't fire the owner. So what's the plan?

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
I agree, but again, we can't fire the owner. So what's the plan?
Then the plan is to just suck the next x amount of years. I mean it seems to be totally impossible to get adult professional athletes to give 100% every season, so maybe just fold the team and move it to Alaska or something.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Then the plan is to just suck the next x amount of years. I mean it seems to be totally impossible to get adult professional athletes to give 100% every season, so maybe just fold the team and move it to Alaska or something.
Who is responsible for making sure the adult professional athletes give 100% every game? Could it be the coach? So now you see where we are at. The coach has failed to have them ready to play. So you fire him and try a new one. Doesn't matter how many we have had previously. He is the 6th longest tenured coach in the NHL. How much more time does he get just because we have had a bunch of coaches apparently?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

If Keefe got sacked and was replaced by any of the guys you just mentioned the entire city of Toronto would melt down worse that Chernobyl.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just to be clear- this was a game the Sabres desperately needed to win to make the rest of the season matter in any way. They started with a 2-0 lead, utterly dominant 3/4 of a first period. Gave up a late one, of course.

And then it’s 3-3 after two periods, we’ve somewhat lost it but are still tied. Edmonton seemingly adjusted between 1st and 2nd, we were somewhat lucky to even it up.

And then the Oilers score 5 in the third. In a must win game for us. It’s not even like McDavid and Drai beat us up, 1 goal between them- but plenty of apples, because they came up with a game plan, adjusted, and are a somewhat coherent team for longer than a period at a time. Because Conor Brown got a goal and an assist. Because they have a new coach.

Oh, and the goalie who has largely saved our bacon the last 3 months- we left him in for all 8 and the embarrassment of a Brown goal, because that’s coaching, baby.

Man, can’t do this team no more. See y’all more around playoffs, I guess.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It's management too. They should have hired a well respected, seasoned executive instead of... Kevyn Adams.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Coaches like Granato, Cronin, Eakins, and Vincent are the reason why teams keep going back to the "retreads" as those coaches actually know what they're doing unlike these rookie hires that seem to flop more often than not

Sabres might want to look into Jay Woodcroft, but for some reason I see them reaching out to Todd Mclellan

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I can only imagine how Sabres fans feel.... unless you're one of those weirdos who gets pleasure from pain.
I wasn't born this way, but after watching 2 decades of futility on the Bills, and watching the Sabres have cup worthy teams in '99 and 05-07, only to have terrible ownership ruin it all driving the top players away shortly thereafter... Now 13 years without playoffs, multiple top picks under new owners who presented themselves as new blood who would supply the team with all the resources it needs (before cutting everything to the bone)...

After a certain point, you just have to start enjoying the creative ways that the teams screw it all up. Every dysfunctional team is terrible in its own way. There is an art to truly bad management, and you need to appreciate it for what it is. With a different perspective, it can provide a lot more enjoyment that a winning team ever could. Would the Harlem Globetrotters be fun to watch without the bumbling Washington Generals?

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Who is responsible for making sure the adult professional athletes give 100% every game? Could it be the coach? So now you see where we are at. The coach has failed to have them ready to play. So you fire him and try a new one. Doesn't matter how many we have had previously. He is the 6th longest tenured coach in the NHL. How much more time does he get just because we have had a bunch of coaches apparently?
If a coach needs to tell players to give it their all, then you're in deep shit. f***ing amateurs in Buffalo.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
As mentioned there’s also significant roster issues, specifically at forward.

They have very, very little top line NHL talent. They’ve got Dahlin who is solid on defense and Power who looks like he could be very good but is still really young, but it’s incredibly hard to win in this league when you can’t even assemble a single line that could realistically be considered a game changing line.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Are any of those guys you listed HC anywhere since they left Buffalo? Considering how many retreads this league has you would think at least one of them got hired by fluke chance.

No, none of the drought era coaches have gone on to be a HC in the NHL for a different team.

Since we fired Ruff in 2013 we've gone through

Ron Rolston
Ted Nolan
Dan Byslma
Phil Housley
Ralph Krueger
Don Granato (current)

I wouldn't be shocked if Housley gets another chance, or MAYBE Bylsma, but the rest of those clowns will never sniff the NHL again.

• Wow
Reactions: Amorgus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad