Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2015-2016

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The only question I need to answer; Did the Canadian forces honour Don Cherry? Yes, more than one honours and they don't honour just anybody.

Rick Mercer and many comedians went to Afghanistan. Musicians who also likely held fairly left wing views went to Afghanistan.

I think there's something to be said for those who helped out without making politics the focus like Don Cherry. "OMG YOU ARE LEFT WING YOU HATE THE TROOPS AND POLICE". He only put his money where his mouth was after he got called out for it. Mercer and others - who he has lambasted in the past - never spoke up in defense of themselves but put in the work. They went of their own volition.

It's petty, sad, pathetic and he's a loser for doing it. He has always mocked Russians for not being willing to put in the dirty work, for not being courageous, etc.. - it's funny how he acted like a chicken**** man-child and had to be pressured to show up whereas the people he routinely mocked on Coach's Corner were the ones with the fortitude to just go to Afghanistan to help with morale.

Gestalt

Nov 2, 2010
Rick Mercer and many comedians went to Afghanistan. Musicians who also likely held fairly left wing views went to Afghanistan.

I think there's something to be said for those who helped out without making politics the focus like Don Cherry. "OMG YOU ARE LEFT WING YOU HATE THE TROOPS AND POLICE". He only put his money where his mouth was after he got called out for it. Mercer and others - who he has lambasted in the past - never spoke up in defense of themselves but put in the work. They went of their own volition.

It's petty, sad, pathetic and he's a loser for doing it. He has always mocked Russians for not being willing to put in the dirty work, for not being courageous, etc.. - it's funny how he acted like a chicken**** man-child and had to be pressured to show up whereas the people he routinely mocked on Coach's Corner were the ones with the fortitude to just go to Afghanistan to help with morale.

Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

In a news release, Gollner said that soldiers overwhelmingly endorsed Cherry's selection.

"Our soldiers have often said that Don Cherry should be a Patricia. They admire and respect Don Cherry's unabashed pride of being a Canadian, his unstinting public support of the Canadian Forces, especially since the beginning of the Afghan campaign, and his recognition of the families of Canadian Forces members," Gollner wrote in an e-mail.

It's almost as if you know better than the Canadian military and their families? Why don't you let them know how much Cherry is actually bad for them instead of handing out honours to the guy. Sad!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

It's almost as if you know better than the Canadian military and their families? Why don't you let them know how much Cherry is actually bad for them instead of handing out honours to the guy. Sad!

Who is saying they don't like Don Cherry?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Only on the Internet, where an 80+ year old man can be called chicken****. LOL

Don Cherry is a tough son of a *****, I can assure you if he had been called to go to war for Canada while of combat age he'd have done so.

Bruce Arthur is like 99% of social justice warriors - all hat no cattle. It's easy to tap away on a keyboard, shoot your mouth off about all that's wrong about the world - sure won't do anything about it on Twitter other than draw attention to your oh so deeply caring self.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Don Cherry is a tough son of a *****, I can assure you if he had been called to go to war for Canada while of combat age he'd have done so.

Bruce Arthur is like 99% of social justice warriors - all hat no cattle. It's easy to tap away on a keyboard, shoot your mouth off about all that's wrong about the world - sure won't do anything about it on Twitter other than draw attention to your oh so deeply caring self.

Woulda coulda shoulda.

The facts: DIDN'T.

It's interesting how people keep bringing up 'the troops loved him'. So why was he a no show for so, so, so long? It's not like there were no entertainers heading over to Afghanistan over the years. There were tons.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
1. Did Cherry want to send soldiers to Iraq, yes or no?

2. Would soldiers have died I'm Iraq, yes or no?

If you answer no to #1, you're a liar.

If you answer no to #2, you're hopelessly naive.

If you answer yes to both, then you acknowledge Cherry was fine with soldiers dying for a political cause.
Is Don cherry some foreign policy expert? Don thought it was a legitimate war at that time like many others.

Mar 12, 2009

What does that even mean? You are guarenteeing that if their was a war such as Afganistan that he would have certainly given up whatever job he was doing and joined the military? Or are you suggesting he would have gone to war if drafted? In which case, he'd have no choice just like pretty well all draftees. Not sure how an ill defined hypothetical claim supports your argument at all.

I don't even know who Bruce Arthur is, but apparently Cherry worshipers are obsessed with him.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He certainly likes to pretend that he is. Moreover, lots of his fanboys like to treat him like a serious source for political commentary.

I wish he would at least stick to talking about hockey, which I know is a lot to ask for a segment called "Coach's Corner" that features an ex-NHL coach.

It just irks me whenever he starts blubbering about military deaths (read: the Canadian ones), getting all misty-eyed for the cameras while Ron sits there and waits for him to finish and move on to the next topic. Patience of a saint, that guy. :laugh:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I only caught the end of it last night with Brent Burns and some music being played over top of it. That was odd.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Why is Ron so hunched these days? Such bad posture for a broadcaster. Bad stool, does he have a bad back, or is it in protest or?

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
What does that even mean? You are guarenteeing that if their was a war such as Afganistan that he would have certainly given up whatever job he was doing and joined the military? Or are you suggesting he would have gone to war if drafted? In which case, he'd have no choice just like pretty well all draftees. Not sure how an ill defined hypothetical claim supports your argument at all.

I don't even know who Bruce Arthur is, but apparently Cherry worshipers are obsessed with him.

All of these arguments are funny!!! Canada has one of the smaller military forces in the world, lol. 95,000 approximately active duty, so less than 3/10th of 1% of the population are actively in the military. You really don't need Don Cherry!! Canada hasn't had a large military force since WWII. I say this as someone who has trained alongside the Canadian forces, though 20+ years ago. I respected and had a great time serving alongside the Canadian military. First time I ever went to Canada was to train with the Canadian Army during their annual exercises in Camp Wainwright, AB in 1986, IIRC.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Don's Gordie Howe story tonight...where was he on the ice at the same time as Gordie? I missed the name

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad