Speculation: Don’t trade Gaudreau

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
No way should we ever trade this guy for anything other than a true 1C.

He’s a special player and takes way too much blame. If we do follow through on the rumours and trade him I think we are trading one of the truly elite NHL talents, and there are only a handful. He has talent to be the best Flame all time and there is just no reason to trade this guy for pieces.

Time will tell, but I think his greatness will show at some point and he will win the cup. If it’s not with Calgary I certainly will cheer for him. It would be a sad day for me if he does leave, as I watch hockey to see players like Johnny Gaudreau play.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

He’s a special player and takes way too much blame. If we do follow through on the rumours and trade him I think we are trading one of the truly elite NHL talents, and there are only a handful. He has talent to be the best Flame all time and there is just no reason to trade this guy for pieces.

Time will tell, but I think his greatness will show at some point and he will win the cup. If it’s not with Calgary I certainly will cheer for him. It would be a sad day for me if he does leave, as I watch hockey to see players like Johnny Gaudreau play.

I'm a huge Gaudreau fan.

But what if he's our Nilsson.

The guy we need to trade to get our Niewendyk? We have our Gilmour already.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If you love someone set them free from basically playing center as a 5'7 winger.

Dude's going to be someones 2nd best forward and win a cup hopefully. He's my favorite player and I wish him nothing but the best if he is traded.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Absolutely.

Trading Gaudreau puts us way behind the eight-ball if we're serious about becoming a contender.

Fivealive5

Nov 6, 2017
I can agree that he showed a lot of effort in the final 3 games this series. But if we are going to re-tool this core, in order to fill in some KEY pieces that we are either losing or that we never really had, Gaudreau is what we're going to need to get that on our team.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I've said this before but I'm not sure there is a winger (Hall maybe? Kane? both of whom play on teams that Calgary has outperformed over the last few years) in the NHL asked to do more. I don't have the exact stats but I recall something along the lines of Gaudreau being right next to Mackinnon and McDavid with regards to zone entries over the past few seasons, I don't think any other winger was close and somehow our guy who's the worst and most flawed of the three gets the least help...

Unbelievable, Monahan had as many zone entries (per/60) as Lucic this season. It's not because "Gaudreau doesn't pass or because that's not the clearly defined roles of their on-ice relationship" it's because Monahan is a goddamn awful puck carrier who accelerates like he's knee deep-in water. Even in these playoffs where both were awful Monahan gives the puck away like candy at the offensive blue line, like as a winger what are you supposed to do with that? People point to Gaudreau's turnovers but seem to ignore the fact that the only reason Monahan doesn't turn the puck over much is beacause he never has to carry it lol. Why these two are paid and until recently treated as if they're a similar caliber of player is something I'll never understand.

Lindholm who was just as bad as the other two almost entirely escaped criticism until late into this series, I'm going to take a wild guess that his point totals are going to regress a little away from Gaudreau. (Not to say he wasn't a good find and that he's not a good player I just think he's probably more of a 55 point guy than a legitimate 60-70 point guy.)

The worst thing that can happen is us trading Gaudreau and keeping Monahan. If Gaudreau goes, please don't keep his "triggerman".

TheButcher90

Sep 19, 2019
Gaudreau isnt build for the playoff but he'll get you to the playoff. Take a look at other player before trading him. Yes you can loose him to another team when free agency kicks in but i think he worth it !

Reactions: Srsly

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'd keep him if it wasn't for the contract situation. Given that, I don't think we can afford to lose him for nothing.

Still not happy with his year as a whole.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
He'll probably go back to being a 75 + guy on another team where he doesn't have to do all the lifting. The issue is we aren't equipped with a high end C like others have said and it's pretty obvious at this point that he's looking to get closer to home.. it would be the Flames things to do to try and hold on longer and get an even worse return or see him walk for nothing. Was exciting seeing him defy the odds as a small 4th round pick, especially with all the haters HF Boards to become the player he is, but it's time to move on and rebuild properly.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No way you trade Johnny unless it's for Hughes straight up.
Just don't trade him until he is going into the final summer and won't extend.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The comparison I made elsewhere that feels apt is Gaudreau is our Kessel in this situation. He's gonna do well when he doesn't have to be "the" guy on a competitor somewhere.

He's going to be a stud somewhere where he's the 2nd best forward on their team. I'm sad to (likely) see him go but honestly I think it's best for him, I'd really like to see him somewhere where he's the Robin to someones Batman.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Folks, he’ll head back East in 2 years so max out the asset now.

Unless Treliving thinks he can add two pieces like Lehner and Toffoli to this core. But Brad has made too many questionable moves to trust him with that

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I feel as though Johnny leaving has been building for quite some time. I mean am I the only one that found the timing very strange, about a year and a half ago, when the team proclaimed Tkachuk the future of the franchise. Johnny wasn't even 26, being talked about in the same breath as the ultra elite around the league and Tkachuk was heading into a contract year. It made absolutely no sense on multiple levels. I believe there's been a rift growing for a while now

Reactions: Big guns

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think we can lose just fine without Johnny. This team is going nowhere with him in the line-up. Our offence has to basically cater to him, so done with that guy.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Folks, he’ll head back East in 2 years so max out the asset now.

Unless Treliving thinks he can add two pieces like Lehner and Toffoli to this core. But Brad has made too many questionable moves to trust him with that

Dare we trust Brad to fix this team via UFA? Trades? Maybe. UFA? Scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad