Line Combos: Don’t Touch PP1. It’s Good. Very Good.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This year the Rangers sit 15th in the league in power play percentage.

Artemi Panarin, Mika Zibanejad, Chris Kreider, Vincent Trocheck, and Adam Fox have combined for 764 power play minutes out of 990 total minutes (77% of minutes).

They have scored 26 of our 27 power play goals (96%).

The Rangers have had 121 power play opportunities. 77% of those minutes equates to 93 power play opportunities.

The top unit has scored 26 times on 93 true power play opportunities. Their true power play unit percentage is 28%. THAT IS GOOD.

As everyone knows, the Rangers lead the NHL in posts. We’ve all seen how many of those have come up on the power play.

Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, and Fox have been a top the league in power play production for years.

Trocheck has 13 PP points in 38 games compared to Strome who had just 14 in 74 last season. He’s a huge upgrade.

We all want more time for the kids. The solution is to play them more, not to break up an extremely proven productive unit.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

Artemi Panarin, Mika Zibanejad, Chris Kreider, Vincent Trocheck, and Adam Fox have combined for 764 power play minutes out of 990 total minutes (77% of minutes).

The Rangers have had 121 power play opportunities. 77% of those minutes equates to 93 power play opportunities.

The top unit has scored 26 times on 93 true power play opportunities. Their true power play unit percentage is 28%. THAT IS GOOD.

As everyone knows, the Rangers lead the NHL in posts. We’ve all seen how many of those have come up on the power play.

Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, and Fox have been a top the league in power play production for years.

Trocheck has 13 PP points in 38 games compared to Strome who had just 14 in 74 last season. He’s a huge upgrade.

We all want more time for the kids. The solution is to play them more, not to break up an extremely proven productive unit.
They are good. But if the plan is to keep that unit together, and give the kids basically zero meaningful PP time, people need to stfu about Kakko/Laffy production.

Take away all PP points from Artemi/Mika/Kreider/Trochek...see what that looks like for production and compare that to what Kakko/Laffy are doing.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hard agree with this post. The PP has actually been outstanding but very unlucky.

Some stats (5 on 4 PPs only):

Attempted shots/60 - 124.92 (1st), 2nd place is Dallas at 120.94
Unblocked attempted shots/60 - 98.04 (1st), 2nd place also Dallas at 92.54
xGF/60 - 10.21 (2nd), Dallas is 1st at 10.58
High Danger Chance Generation/60 - 35.74 (2nd), Dallas is also 1st here at 37.08
PP Shooting percentage - 10.91% (29th), only the Islanders, Ducks, and Habs are worse

If the Rangers shot at league median on the PP instead of what they are, they'd have scored 31 PP goals (they have 24).

The Rangers top unit makes up 5 of the top 10 shot generators and 4 of the top 10 xGF generators on the PP (Kreider is 11th) in the league (the others being mostly Dallas' top unit).

Adam Fox has been the best powerplay defenseman in the world for 3 years, leading every major PP category for defensemen since 2021 except p/60 (.12 points behind Hedman).

I am 100% unbothered about the PP except for the fact Trouba is on it. If Fox played the full 2 minutes he would legit be a 90 point D.

They are good. But if the plan is to keep that unit together, and give the kids basically zero meaningful PP time, people need to stfu about Kakko/Laffy production.

Take away all PP points from Artemi/Mika/Kreider/Trochek...see what that looks like for production and compare that to what Kakko/Laffy are doing.
They're not scoring a lot at ES either. They are scoring at 3rd-low 2nd rates for forwards at ES.

Regardless, I hate to say this but the Rangers have at least the 3rd best powerplay in the world. And have for at least 4 years. The kids not being on it is irrelevant imo. It's just nonsensical.

What is not irrelevant, however, is the kids playing PP with the worst regular powerplay D in all of hockey in Trouba. He is the singular reason that unit sucks. He does absolutely nothing right on the powerplay and it has tangibly and visibly cost the team many, many times.

Last edited:

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Hard agree with this post. The PP has actually been outstanding but very unlucky.

High Danger Chance Generation/60 - 35.74 (2nd), Dallas is also 1st here at 37.08
PP Shooting percentage - 10.91% (29th), only the Islanders, Ducks, and Habs are worse

If the Rangers shot at league median on the PP instead of what they are, they'd have scored 31 PP goals (they have 24).

The Rangers top unit makes up 5 of the top 10 shot generators and 4 of the top 10 xGF generators on the PP (Kreider is 11th) in the league (the others being mostly Dallas' top unit).

Adam Fox has been the best powerplay defenseman in the world for 3 years, leading every major PP category for defensemen since 2021 except p/60 (.12 points behind Hedman).

I am 100% unbothered about the PP except for the fact Trouba is on it. If Fox played the full 2 minutes he would legit be a 90 point D.

They're not scoring a lot at ES either. They are scoring at 3rd-low 2nd rates for forwards at ES.

Regardless, I hate to say this but the Rangers have at least the 3rd best powerplay in the world. And have for at least 4 years. The kids not being on it is irrelevant imo. It's just nonsensical.

What is not irrelevant, however, is the kids playing PP with the worst regular powerplay D in all of hockey in Trouba. He is the singular reason that unit sucks. He does absolutely nothing right on the powerplay and it has tangibly and visibly cost the team many, many times.

This a lot stronger than my OP. Thanks.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Great post. A lot of complaining about the top PP unit but there's a reason they don't leave the ice and it's because they routinely are in the offensive zone for 1:30. There's no reason to switch things up except if you have an agenda that requires forcing the kids into a spot they don't deserve just so they can pad their point totals.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Kind of odd to try to use the stat that they have scored 96% of our PP goals…i mean isnt that expected when they stay out on almost the entire PP? How many “true” PP attempts has the second unit received? The answer is a zero.

I’d love to see what our PP % was in the month of December. Guessing it was not 28% and likely close to something toward the bottom of the league because teams adjusted to our very predictable PP.

Oh and “fancy stats”? Yea those mean jack shit if the puck isnt going in the back of the net. Don’t worry guys, Mika and Panarin just missing the net 6 out of 7 times is still good, just “Unlucky” lol

The arguement is by a lot of posters is to tinker with the PP when it is clearly not working and stale. Which was for quite a long stretch in December. It wouldnt be the end of the world to put a different player on the top unit here and there to see if it brings new life to something that has gotten stale for a bit.

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Great post. A lot of complaining about the top PP unit but there's a reason they don't leave the ice and it's because they routinely are in the offensive zone for 1:30. There's no reason to switch things up except if you have an agenda that requires forcing the kids into a spot they don't deserve just so they can pad their point totals.

All true. But that said the idea that there is a large group of people out there who want to shoehorn the kids onto PP1 is a bit of a strawman. There are like <5 people on this entire board actually saying that. Creating disproportionate noise to how many people actually think this.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
All true. But that said the idea that there is a large group of people out there who want to shoehorn the kids onto PP1 is a bit of a strawman. There are like <5 people on this entire board actually saying that. Creating disproportionate noise to how many people actually think this.
I didn't say there were a lot of people pushing it, but if you are one of them (generally speaking) you are wrong to do so.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
40% of our PP goals are scored by a single person. To say the PP has become predictable is an understatement. The only staples on our PP need to be Fox and Zib. From there, we have more than enough talent to experiment. Maybe the current combo of 5 is the best, but can’t know w/ any level of certainty until you experiment.

One thing I do know is whatever unit Fox is on is going to be the better unit. I don’t care who the other 4 are.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Seriously, I’m getting pushback that he’s been good but I just don’t see it, seems to get caved in a lot. Don’t know how to look up the stats so was hoping for some insight here.
He has not been good. Harpur sucks but he is better (and frankly looks way better) than Hajek who is no exaggeration statistically the worst defenseman in hockey since 2020

Reactions: TheDirtyH

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Worst thread I’ve ever seen on this forum.

The PP sucks a pigs ass and needs to be changed
It’s not even that the “keep it as is” argument is bad, it’s just that we have no basis for comparison. We’ve been trotting out the same 4 guys together for years now. It shouldn’t be sacrilege to say let’s see what another combo can do, especially given the amount of talent we have available.

And if types like Krieder or Panarin are that bothered by it, they’re welcomed to request a trade.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Panarin and Zibby both thrive on the left flank and it's obvious Panarin prefers that spot. The top unit gets way too much time and I'm not a fan of KK, Chytil, Kravy & Laf getting 20 seconds of time. This move would give two potentially good units and allow them to split time more evenly.

If they did something like this, Trouba also needs to be removed. I'd obviously prefer Jones in that spot, but considering GG hates him would try anyone else there or maybe allow Fox to play on both. Elite players often do that. I'd also love to see what Fox could do with the kids. Get Laffy in that Kreider role. See what Kravy can do in Panarin's current role and give Panarin the Zibby role.

Unit 1
Kreider-Trocheck-KK
Zib-Fox

Unit 2
Laf-Chytil-Kravy
Panarin-Fox

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I don't have an issue with PP1 as a unit so much as I have an issue with the amount of ice time they get. In my 30 years of watching this team no PP has been this good at moving the puck and keeping it in the zone. Fox may be the best I've ever seen at keeping a puck in the zone. There really shouldn't be any denying that. Those 5 have chemistry, so yes don't break up that chemistry or geometry if you will.

Buttttt when we've dropped from the top 5 to start the year to 15-20 in the league maybe it's time we pull them off the ice when the puck is cleared and there's a minute left. Or PP2 starts the PP if PP1 has gone 0-2 or 0-3.

We have no doubt lost a couple games this year because of PP1 going 0-fer. Would PP2 score? Who knows, but we'll never know with the undying faith that they'll eventually score in the 2 mins. Who knows maybe if PP2 pots a goal after starting the PP, it might light a fire under PP1's ass to get it going.

They've been off for a while, a little break doesn't hurt. Not to mention if we do make the playoffs, what kind of shape are those 4 gonna be in playing 23-25 mins a night all year?

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018

I've warned a few others but this may have to be the sternest warning I've had to make yet.
PLEASE DON'T CONFUSE OTHER POSTERS WITH FACTS AND COMMON SENSE !

• Haha
Reactions: Rangers ftw

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

thats not how PP% works. You can't change the meaning and then use old metrics to say it's good.

Just like the rest of the offense, there's elite possession and no finishing. Kreider being the main difference. His deflection/net front goals are way down on the PP. He has 4PPGs this season. At this point, last season, he was at 12PPGs.

We need finishers on the PP. If Kreider isn't finishing, the unit is off balance. Trocheck has picked up some of the slack but not the enough. It'd be nice for Fox to have confidence in his shot because I honestly think it's pretty good. If Panarin hit the net, that'd be nice too.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
thats not how PP% works. You can't change the meaning and then use old metrics to say it's good.

Just like the rest of the offense, there's elite possession and no finishing. Kreider being the main difference. His deflection/net front goals are way down on the PP. He has 4PPGs this season. At this point, last season, he was at 12PPGs.

We need finishers on the PP. If Kreider isn't finishing, the unit is off balance. Trocheck has picked up some of the slack but not the enough. It'd be nice for Fox to have confidence in his shot because I honestly think it's pretty good. If Panarin hit the net, that'd be nice too.

Goals scored per minutes on ice is an equation that works.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad