Does y'all think the Leafs (Our Leafs) make a move on D before deadline?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Hello, this is from a real hard follower of the Maple Leafs. I know I ain't here the full time man, but I be watching that hockey and really in the game. Having seen about 90% of the Maple Leafs games this season I'm making a real stand here now. I write here and so does y'all. Y'all is really knowing hockey and the leafs, that's what inspires me as a human being. I wanna give back. I love the streets and the leafs so much, so everytime I talk, I want to give something back.

Our Leafs have done real good again this far. The season has gon our way. We rule the hockey world like they says it in the tsn. forum/media. They saying it alright. We are the top team. Everybody wants to do dirt with us now. They hatin, but they ain't getting us. We rich, strong and got our backs. And our fans. So we cool. And we got the talent and the guns.

So to me, waching this thang this season, we might be doing some sort of a D-move on our D at some point. And by no means I mean anything by drug move, but only a defensive) move on our D, by D-move. That is correct. So does y'all think we make that move before the deadline or just at the deadline? We got our Polak - Borgman skating real hard and doing thangs. Icing that thang, hitting that pole and twerking that stick on otha suckas like silly. But Polak - Borgman might be our best thang. We got Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitseve, Hainsey doing the real stuff too. Does we even need that otha odd sucka? Is he comin agg? Or what does y'all think? Andersen and Kadri to me have been our key guys this season so far. But our true talent offensively, comes from the young bastardos like tarantino. They morriconing it up real strong.

I love how:
a) people actually ignored the brilliance of the post and answered the question within as if it was serious :laugh:
b) how the OP was able to get away with using two Spanish cursewords
c) the utter brilliance of the whole thing

All the likes for you, sir.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think they more or less have to make a move if they want to go anywhere in the playoffs
Management has done a very nice job of rebuilding this organization and have turned us into a team that can make the playoffs in short order.
However, I don't believe this is a team that can win through the grind of the playoffs.
We are too soft, in a North/South league we don't have a great sustained forecheck, we have difficulty fighting through the neutral zone and can get dominated (unable to stop the other teams cycle) for stretches in a game. IMO we don't have all the right compliment pieces around the core to escalate to contender at present. Some of those pieces might be in house, just not NHL ready and some aren't.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Only if they can acquire a rental for a draft pick, similar to the Boyle trade last year.

If they have to subtract from their roster, they won't make a move.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I love how:
a) people actually ignored the brilliance of the post and answered the question within as if it was serious :laugh:
b) how the OP was able to get away with using two Spanish cursewords
c) the utter brilliance of the whole thing

All the likes for you, sir.

You have to have patience to catch what you did. Cudos to you.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
My takeaway from this is that there's some new drug out called dirt, and its a big problem in the NHL.

So how do we solve Gardiner’s errors causing us a almost a goal a night?
This is so typical these boards. You said this in another thread, I pointed out that Gardiner isn't even on the ice for almost a goal a night, so this is an absolutely ridiculous take. Which you of course ignore, and continue to claim. Who cares about reality when we can be angry about the imagined, right?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
My takeaway from this is that there's some new drug out called dirt, and its a big problem in the NHL.

This is so typical these boards. You said this in another thread, I pointed out that Gardiner isn't even on the ice for almost a goal a night, so this is an absolutely ridiculous take. Which you of course ignore, and continue to claim. Who cares about reality when we can be angry about the imagined, right?

Great post.

I enjoy the Gardiner-bashing. Jake Gardiner is really the litmus test for hockey fans, and how much they know and understand of play.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

And I'll keep reiterating as I strongly disagree with your assessment. And I will be posting every single goal I see that is a direct result of his mishaps.

You have a choice. You can either put me on ignore or follow along. As you are not changing my mind any time soon.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
And I'll keep reiterating as I strongly disagree with your assessment.
Assessment? How many goals Gardiner is on the ice for is not a topic of discussion. It's facts. Jeez.

And I will be posting every single goal I see that is a direct result of his mishaps.
Sounds like obsessively focusing on the negatives to me. People know Gardiner makes mistakes. All you do with this is prove you are unable to evaluate the whole picture.

As you are not changing my mind any time soon.
You say that as if being close-minded is a good thing.

Reactions: Raymoondo

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I'm of the opinion we should be open to using our 1st over the next 3-5 years (we have a very young roster and many good prospects) to go for it.

Personally I'd love Mike Green as I think he gives us another dman on the PP and honestly any player would be an upgrade over Polak and they'll also ensure that our arrogant coach never plays him again.

Also Green on our 3rd pair would allow a load to be taken off of Z and Hainsey during the games allowing Hainsey to play the full PK as his TOI during the rest of the game can be reduced.

I also think if he has interest in signing in Toronto we can give him good dollars in exchange for shorter term to tide us over until OEL, Doughty, Karlsson become available.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There's no chance Hainsey keeps playing the full 2 minutes on every penalty kill. No way. I've been saying it for a while now but I think Hjarmlasson is exactly what this team needs. He won't/shouldn't be too expensive and plays the style of game the team lacks. It likely bumps Borgman out but when you're gunning for a cup you cant be concerned with player development and hurt feelings.

PK usage is definitely going to be an issue moving forward.

I think Babcock just need to get over his trust issues here and let one of the younger guys get some time here

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
And I'll keep reiterating as I strongly disagree with your assessment. And I will be posting every single goal I see that is a direct result of his mishaps.

You have a choice. You can either put me on ignore or follow along. As you are not changing my mind any time soon.

Every players f***s up and is responsible for goals against. Pointing it out does nothing, you need to compare how often he does it vs. other players. And by that I mean actually counting the times and comparing the numbers, not just asserting it.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If we got the guns, are we trading them for drugs? I'm so confused.

I do , however, believe they are happy standing pat with this team. Trades are way too difficult to make these days. Hopefully a Bergevin, Benning or Chiarelli type will lose they minds and give us something of value for nothing. But I doubt it.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I pretty much guarantee it. Babcock has Lou's ear and Babs is insanely competitive. He'll push hard for an upgrade on the #6D and most likely it will be someone that can PK.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
it's my feeling that if the Leafs make a move for a Dman, it won't be for a minor upgrade to the 3rd pair, if anything they'll go big game hunting and try to get a veteran RHD who can play in the top 4 and can provide some offence and possibly PP time

looking for guys like Cole and expending assets for players of his skill level is a fools game, we have some youngsters on the Marlies that could use playing time in the bigs

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Assessment? How many goals Gardiner is on the ice for is not a topic of discussion. It's facts. Jeez.

Sounds like obsessively focusing on the negatives to me. People know Gardiner makes mistakes. All you do with this is prove you are unable to evaluate the whole picture.

You say that as if being close-minded is a good thing.

All I read are fixes for our defense that replace Polak. Like this thread. Until that mind set changes, I'm out to convince people that Polak is not the glaring hole in our zone that everyone THINKS he is. It's actually Gardiner. Who's defensive zone play is so bad that it's actually having an effect on Zaitsev's.

Obsessive? Sure. I don't mind that. It takes all of 3 minutes to watch the goals in the game wrap up video. I can afford the 3 minutes if it opens people up to focus on the actual problem. As a matter of fact it's likely taken you the same amount of time to follow me thread to thread to respond to my paragraph with multi quotes...lol Are you obsessed with me?

If you want me to see Polak as a greater negative in our own end than Gardiner, you are going to need to do more than bring icings or penalties to the table. Prove it. Show me plays that created goals against that Polak was directly responsible for. I don't mind that at all.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Every players ****s up and is responsible for goals against. Pointing it out does nothing, you need to compare how often he does it vs. other players. And by that I mean actually counting the times and comparing the numbers, not just asserting it.

During the Edmonton game I had proven that he directly caused 2 of the 4 goals. (one where he decided to leave his man alone in the slot to double up on a player already being pressured by Kadri behind the net. His man ended up scoring. And the second saw him cough up the puck in our own end and that led to an immediate goal)

This says nothing of the few turn overs he coughed up that didn't account for an actual goal. I'm just analyzing the actual goals.

He did have a great game in Vancouver though. Uncharacteristically. But I doubt he's turned a corner and fully expect to see his bad habbit's shine through on a nightly basis as has seemed to be the case this entire season.

I just didn't post screen shot evidence of it. I will now.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's actually Gardiner. Who's defensive zone play is so bad that it's actually having an effect on Zaitsev's.
So bad that he is on for the least amount of goals compared to ice time on the team. When he's slumping.

As a matter of fact it's likely taken you the same amount of time to follow me thread to thread to respond to my paragraph with multi quotes
Follow you from thread to thread? This is the second time I discuss this with you.

f you want me to see Polak as a greater negative in our own end than Gardiner, you are going to need to do more than bring icings or penalties to the table. Prove it. Show me plays that created goals against that Polak was directly responsible for. I don't mind that at all.
Well for starters I'd like to point out that you are only focusing on goals against that the player is directly responsible for. That's a bad way to look at it. Their defensive impact comes from the summation of all their plays, not just the few that stands out the most.

But I don't want you to see Polak as a bigger negative. I think Polak gets too much crap anyway, as there is a case that he is doing OK albeit in very sheltered minutes. But the combination of Polak giving up the blue line extremely easily and his difficulty with starting a transition leads to a lot of pressure against our net that results in more goals over time. And I'd rather look at end results than nitpick about individual plays.

All I want you to realize is that your exaggerations make you seem like you are on a witch hunt. People aren't going to listen to you if they don't think you seem reasonable. So you're shooting yourself in the foot, on top of contributing to an exaggerated negativity on the boards and annoying me.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
During the Edmonton game I had proven that he directly caused 2 of the 4 goals. (one where he decided to leave his man alone in the slot to double up on a player already being pressured by Kadri behind the net. His man ended up scoring. And the second saw him cough up the puck in our own end and that led to an immediate goal)

This says nothing of the few turn overs he coughed up that didn't account for an actual goal. I'm just analyzing the actual goals.

He did have a great game in Vancouver though. Uncharacteristically. But I doubt he's turned a corner and fully expect to see his bad habbit's shine through on a nightly basis as has seemed to be the case this entire season.

I just didn't post screen shot evidence of it. I will now.

So you're telling me that Jake Gardiner has been so consistently bad that his coach has played him by far the most even strength TOI per game.

skeptic.jpg

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
So you're telling me that Jake Gardiner has been so consistently bad that his coach has played him by far the most even strength TOI per game.

skeptic.jpg

Yes.

Bozak's game has also fallen off this year and his ice time hasn't really decreased.

You have to play what you've got. We've currently got Gardiner, who's still a better option than Carrick or Marincin, Rosen and Dermot at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad